Any thoughts or speculation on what RIM will be doing with Newbay? I see on their site that they're cross platform from web to TV to iOS/Android/WP8. I know we're already gonna have BOX and Dropbox integrated into the OS, but this seems a lil more interesting.
    12-24-12 01:36 PM
    Also a thought, they mentioned new services coming with BB10 to bring revenue, could the need for more cloud storage be one?
    12-24-12 01:38 PM
    They better use it somehow lol. I want a icloud like option native to BB10. I can't wait to see what they do with Newbay
    12-24-12 02:19 PM
    From the leaks it seems they will use Box and DropBox for cloud services, at least storage, and realized that the NewBay acquisition was a mistake. They said back in August they would try and sell it and remember they have investment bankers running the meter since they made all the changes and named Thor the CEO. Would be strange to announce you want to sell the division then integrate it deeply into BB10 IMHO
    12-24-12 05:16 PM
    But does BOX and Dropbox handle contact backup and sync? sms backup and sync? New bay allows you to edit your media files
    12-24-12 05:51 PM
    But does BOX and Dropbox handle contact backup and sync? sms backup and sync? New bay allows you to edit your media files
    they do not, you would have to backup that stuff using a 3rd party.
    12-24-12 06:21 PM
    they do not, you would have to backup that stuff using a 3rd party.
    Or by gmail. It has option for us to sync contacts to gmail at BB10.
    12-24-12 06:44 PM
    From the leaks it seems they will use Box and DropBox for cloud services, at least storage, and realized that the NewBay acquisition was a mistake. They said back in August they would try and sell it and remember they have investment bankers running the meter since they made all the changes and named Thor the CEO. Would be strange to announce you want to sell the division then integrate it deeply into BB10 IMHO
    You got your rumors mixed with what you think they said!! RIM never said they were selling newbay.
    Rello likes this.
    12-24-12 08:25 PM
    rumor was RIM was trying to sell newbay dont know if its true but even if they tryed to sell it will be at a loss.They should use them their services are not that bad.Its been quite on what newbay is bringing to BB10 so I guess they will be talked about at launch should be good.
    12-24-12 08:38 PM
    yea i didnt believe they would sell it either, their services look real good and they're already established...looking better than iCloud

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    12-24-12 08:45 PM
    I would not be able to understand if they did not use NewBays cloud services. Box and Dropbox don't have anywhere near the type of functionality that Newbay would bring to the platform and they could even do it across devices. Maybe even into the car. Maybe someone could ask about about it to @BlackBerry Scoop on twitter. He seems to have a lot of internal info.
    sirfly2fly likes this.
    12-24-12 09:57 PM
    ima do tat lets see if he is really good at leaks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    12-24-12 11:40 PM
    so this is not correct?

RIM looks to offload NewBay in bid for cash | Mobile - CNET News

and your proof of this?
    randall2580 likes this.
    12-24-12 11:49 PM
    so this is not correct?

and your proof of this?
    "RIM's reported NewBay move is just the latest rumor to fly about its plans for future." #rumor
    12-24-12 11:55 PM
    so this is not correct?

and your proof of this?
    I'm pretty sure that's no longer the case. Check out the current NewBay CEO and CFO (NewBay - Leadership). They are both former RIM executives. Probably what they decided to do was to get rid of previous management rather than sell the company outright.
    12-24-12 11:57 PM
    I didn't even realize that when looking on their site, looks like that "blackberry cloud" could be cross platform allowing an easy switch from another platform
    12-25-12 10:15 AM
    You got your rumors mixed with what you think they said!! RIM never said they were selling newbay.
    You're correct RIM did not say it - it was reported by Reuters and quoted by the tech press. Reuters is a news service and did what they should have they contacted RIM who "declined to comment", which generally means there is some truth to the matter.
    12-25-12 05:35 PM
    12-27-12 03:41 PM
    Kudos to randall2580 and RECOOL - spot ON!
    randall2580 likes this.
    12-27-12 03:54 PM
    I'm curious as to how this either helps or hinders RIM. Does anyone have thoughts?
    12-27-12 04:15 PM
    RIM acquired New Bay in October and by August knew they didn't want them any more. That's pretty quick. My guess is once they got into the meet of the company, they realized they could do some of it with their existing infrastructure, and use partners for the balance - and they didn't need the extra expense of running New Bay when they are actively working to keep their costs low.
    12-27-12 04:26 PM
    There is also a lot of competition in the cloud with the revenue from most customers being zero. I am sure that they took what technology they wanted and then looked to recoup what value they could.
    It could also just have been a botched buy, who knows.
    12-27-12 04:51 PM
    If NB has so many prospects/so much to offer per buyer's press release (US/Euro carriers, electronics integration, etc) why the 50% reduction in sale price vs buy price? Can't be that RIM took that much in capabilities/assets?
    12-27-12 04:52 PM
    From what I understand about mergers and acquisitions, it takes the better part of at least a year to bring teams together and get them working in the same direction. You always hear from the acquiring CEO that it will take some time to integrate the new company blah blah blah

Rim acquired New Bay in October and by August they knew they didn't want them any more - not much time to do much of anything. My guess is the new managers didn't share the old managers vision for the reason to acquire this company.
    12-27-12 05:05 PM
    Well thats that bye bye newbay and at a loss.......maybe.I think writing was on the wall when Box was called on early at the first jam to be integrated and not newbay.Maybe we could'nt/cant afford box.

May not be a loss.... RIM most likely took their technology and created their own version then offloaded the part of newbay employers,servicing and such they didnt need.It was bought for 100mill sold off for 55mill so probs 45 mill to steal their cloud tech is not so bad.Their was a gain somewhere maybe thats how they created mobile fusion to support other platforms.RIM rarely get it wrong when it comes to aquisitions they are chess players Im certain they got what they wanted and sold of newbay would be intresting to know how many newbay enginneers and the like RIM kept.

I think RIM did well here not much loses.
    BThunderW and travaz like this.
    12-27-12 06:02 PM
29 12