Hi everyone.

I'm on Sprint, and a few weeks ago, I switched from the Palm OS to an 8703e. I had just renewed a contract, gotten a Centro, used it for a month, and decided to make the switch.

I bought a used 8703e on Ebay, and discovered that the water sensor was red. I thought about making the seller buy it back, but it looks great and it worked fine. Plus, another sensor inside was white and the sensor on the battery was as well.

Last week, my phone starts cutting in and out when I'm on a call. I can intermittently hear people and they can intermittently hear me. It went away, and I just blamed Sprint's coverage in the mountains where I live.

However, it happened again today (and it happens through the earpiece, speakerphone, and bluetooth headset), so I went to a Sprint store to talk to a technician. As soon as he took the battery off and saw that red square it was over. He told me that I have to call Assurion, pay the $50 deductible, and do it that way.

Of course, this kind of frustrates me, because now the phone I paid $165 for is now costing me $215. But beyond that, I'm not sure how to proceed.

When the tech pulled the battery, the reset solved the problem, but I'm not crazy about having to pull my battery from time to time to solve problems like this (i.e. I already had that kind of situation with the PalmOS).

However, because the problem is intermittent and I'm the second owner of the phone, I'm afraid that this is going to look like a scam/false claim to Assurion.

Sorry for all the backstory. What I'm really looking for is what you would do, had you gotten yourself into this situation. I'd really like to e-mail the seller and tell her that I'd like a $50 refund, but if that actually works, then the drinks are on me.

Thanks everyone.
    03-24-08 02:10 PM
    Hey There,

sounds me like you've got yourself into quite the pickle

In my opinion, it would seem that the water damage shorted something out within the hardware of the phone which would be causing the issue, pulling the battery drains the device of power and it working for a little while after shows it may be some sort problem with a static charge building up perhaps?

If I were in your shoes I would replace the phone a.s.a.p.
    03-24-08 02:17 PM
    Its very tricky buying phones from ebay, you never know if you can trust the seller. The last phone I bought from ebay cost almost 300.00 and turned out to be stolen! Please be careful!!!
    03-24-08 02:24 PM
    If that is the only way to get your Berry working you should file the claim. It kinda sucks though to have to go through this. Have you contacted the previous owner?
    03-24-08 02:33 PM
    If that is the only way to get your Berry working you should file the claim. It kinda sucks though to have to go through this. Have you contacted the previous owner?
    Only when I first noticed the water sensor. She swore it was well taken care of, not exposed to water, etc.
    03-24-08 02:34 PM
    Well, I just got off the phone with Assurion, and they made a point of telling me that they were sending me a new phone and not a refurb, which is cool.
    03-24-08 03:41 PM
    Glad it worked out for you in the long run.
    03-24-08 05:58 PM
    This is an expensive habit, my friend.
    03-24-08 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD