I see you have a 9850. What do you feel about that one compared to the earlier no camera, no multimedia BBs?
    Interested in your opinion about that.
    I've posted about it before. The WAP browser was servicable and decent. I almost never had to do a battery pull. I never carried a second battery. Even up to my 8700G. Never needed to. The I-phone launched and it was like a midwest farmer going to Paris. The generation begining with the Tour and Bold 9000 made it very clear that Java had limitations other OSes did not. We also started seeing a strategy of using much cheaper parts, that continues to this day. The Tour's trackball issues are legendary amony BES admins, and really hurt RIM's reputation for hardware long before the Storm. At the time, it was rumored that RIM was looking at Windows and Nokia. I'm glad they chose QNX. It was one of the few great choices. The problem was in the execution.
    07-26-12 01:19 PM
    The problem was in the execution.
    That will be the epitaph on RIM's headstone one day, I'm sure of it!
    07-26-12 01:52 PM
    I certainly hope not. The US government and many corporations have millions invested in the BES infrastructure and BB. Should they fail here, the resulting fallout would be horredous.
    07-26-12 01:55 PM
    ... I think it's obvious that the marginalization of BB as a smartphone player in the U.S. doesn't justify the devotion of resources to fixing or even developing a BB app. ...
    THis, to me, is the essence of the message. Regardless of whether you read/like the NYT or not, they are a significant organizations with a large readership so this is newsworthy.

- R.
    07-26-12 02:08 PM
    Just another case of disrespect for BB users. Interesting that a significant number of Govt., media and entertainment people use BB. I take the NYT at home and read the web site although I can't stand their opinion pieces. As for popular papers, USA Today and the WSJ are far more popular.
    07-26-12 07:21 PM
    Just another case of disrespect for BB users.
    This is not about disrespecting BlackBerry users. Out of curiosity, why are you
    not upset about the slight to Palm users since they are losing their app too?

Interesting that a significant number of Govt., media and entertainment people use BB. I take the NYT at home and read the web site although I can't stand their opinion pieces. As for popular papers, USA Today and the WSJ are far more popular.
    New York Times - #1
    Wall Street Journal - #4
    USA Today - #8

You were saying?
    07-26-12 08:28 PM
    You missed the part about the DEVICE being EOL. Why would you develop for a dead end? Besides, if the RIM marketing/dev team is worth anything (one can hope) they'd be reaching out to the NYT and getting them on board (with dev help) with making a Playbook/BB10 app.

Oh I got an update to my NYT crossword puzzle app the other day....on my playbook...
    It doesn't warrant the bashing of the NYT in this thread. Pulling support for the BB platform because it's EOL doesn't guarantee future support of BB in the future. Let's not get off the reality of this. Netflix never made a BB app. Even on QNX they haven't.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-26-12 09:21 PM
    Also WP7 is getting EOL'd even sooner than BBOS7. Didn't someone say that they still have their NYT app? I think in addition to the EOL thing (which is the dominant factor) there's also the fact that the blackberry app was difficult to maintain and less functional due to poor development tools and lack of interest.
    07-26-12 11:33 PM
    Not sure what you're really getting at with that question. Can you elaborate your point?
    Dude, you don't even know that other guy got PWNED?
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-26-12 at 11:45 PM.
    07-26-12 11:43 PM
    DeR - it is a bit about developer support. What the NYT, BBC, NPR, Conde Nast, Time and other major media outlets have created on other platforms is truly impressive. I commute each day with many of this country's top editors. They are shown a level of content that can be made available on different platforms, and a cost for doing so. The level of content and cost of doing so on the BBOS does not add up. The NBA does not know or care about development platforms. They hire developers. Developers told them what the cost is, and what the end result will be, especially when held against the potential user base. So in turn, one by one media outlets, cable shows, content providers, ISPs, Professional Sports Leagues, etc. have dropped support. NYT dropping off, this late makes news. If Verizon did not subsidize the NFL app, it would not have been made this year for BB. The MLB app was not made this year. It was only made available. That is, there are no major coding changes from last year. In short - this was news and bad news, is about developer support as much as it is the media outlet, and the post should have only been 3 entries long.
    07-27-12 11:33 AM
    i
    Hey 123 post guy since 2011 - I don't just come on here. I have been parked here for many years, and have likely activated more BBs over the last 10 years than you will ever hold. I have helped more users on this site and amongst my colleagues deal with more problems than you have posts. I am wee bit tired of users who don't have the first clue about mobile security, the state of the mobile market or the history of RIMM coming here to tell those of us who have been warning of this day since before the co-ceos proclaimed no one needs a media player on a phone, no one needs a camera on a phone, no one needs wifi on a phone, no one wants to type on a screen etc... I've been listening to fanboys who don't realize they do more harm than good to the company and its image for too long. If you don't know, those of us who've been here awhile, do know that RIM's people are on these boards fairly often. Keep telling them everything is ok. That's been helpful.

RIMM knew more than 3 years ago that JAVA was no longer a sustainable core for development. Its why they pursued and purchased QNX. Its why they never put BBOS on their tablet. Ever think about that? Ever wonder what that said to analysts about the state of the BBOS? But as they had done for years previous and by all accounts continue to do, they ignored all calls to abandon tablet development and focus on putting out new handsets built from the ground up with a new OS. They took their time and got BB7 handsets out, late and to no fanfare. The playbook with QNX was already out. And neither the tablet nor the phones landed a punch.

For 3 years we have all been hearing leaks from supposedly RIMM insiders telling us about all the issues they've had. And instead of taking heed, the fanboys, especially on this site, attacked BGR and others including long time posters on this site who backed up the reports as representative of what they had seen and heard. And when the new CEO comes out years later and says - yep all those reports were true, our working groups are not communicating with each other, and the meritocracy system broke down and this is causing delays? Where are the apologies? Is BGR now considered an accurate source of information? Nope. All the fanboys/girls ignore that what was repeatedly reported is now confirmed was accurate at the time and if heeded, might have changed the course of the last year.

But feel free tell us all about how it's the media's fault, or consumers, or bloggers, or analysts fault. RIMM is under $7 a share, because they ignored what every impartial and intelligent person saw was coming. This is not an attack on you or RIMM. These are the facts.

If you want to ignore the history of how we got to 'NYT dropping the BB App', or attack the NYT as irrelevant - you can do so. But it is in my most humble opinion high ignorance.
    Yes i have 123 posts and been here since 2011. I'm not exactly sure what that means to you but...ok.

Im also not sure what you do for a living but I too am in IT (I assume you are in IT of some sort?). I manage 37 BlackBerrys, 3 iphones and 8 MIKE phones 8 years so far, no Androids though (my choice). So some of "us" do know a little bit about mobile security, the state of the mobile market and the history of RIMM. They messed up more times than any other company that I can recall except for those that actually went bankrupt. How they still have so many subscribers surprises me, but still, that many I hope gives them the time and finances to release and innovate with their next generation software, hardware and backend systems.

While someone will run around hands in the air screaming the sky is falling every time some company decides to stop supporting an app, or when some site like bgr foretells the demise of RIMM, RIMM will continue with operations and hopefully release something that rocks. It's not the support on it's EOL OS that I'm concerned about, it's the support on its newest platform that has me worried. If a big name company stops supporting an app already created on OS2, that is a concern. I do hope as the saying goes, 'build it and they will come' works for them. They do have the odds stacked against them, but some things are in their favor. No debt, lots of cash, 78? million current suscribers, more secure of any other platform, one of the most versatile in app creation, how the relationship with developers has changed and from what I see from the screenshots released so far, I gotta say I like it. It to me is a nice departure from what's currently available on the market. I will be grabbing one the first day of release I hope no matter what company supports it at the time. Call me a blind fanboy. Whatever.

And if you think us who still have faith in RIMM downplays news like this in a forum, will get back to RIMM's management and make them think everything is ok, you is crazy.
    Last edited by steve911; 07-28-12 at 12:27 AM.
    07-27-12 08:31 PM
    You're playing semantics. Losing a major media outlet who funds an app's development for the platform is pretty much the same thing.
    Please explain to me how, I'll wait...
    07-27-12 09:53 PM
    It doesn't warrant the bashing of the NYT in this thread. Pulling support for the BB platform because it's EOL doesn't guarantee future support of BB in the future. Let's not get off the reality of this. Netflix never made a BB app. Even on QNX they haven't.
    So what your saying is when NYT goes on they killing spree and BlackBerry is #1 on the list your same post is vice versa?
    07-27-12 09:55 PM
    Please explain to me how, I'll wait...
    It's not rocket science. Media outlets fund app developers and app development.
    07-27-12 11:08 PM
    So what your saying is when NYT goes on they killing spree and BlackBerry is #1 on the list your same post is vice versa?
    I honestly don't know what you're asking here.
    07-28-12 01:25 PM
    IMO, it's the shunning of companies like NYT, Netflix, Skpe...etc. This does not bote well for RIM in North America...Especially in the U.S. RIM can dismiss the US as only 10% of thier total market...but losing ANY percent at stock less than $7.00 a share now is arrogant to say the least.
    07-29-12 07:05 AM
91 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD