So I'm a current Verizon customer and need to consider a new phone. Earlier this year my World Phone 8830 was deleting messages thanks to RIMM's year long memory leak bug and Verizon's inability to accept that its "longer test periods for quality" were nothing more than BS. It means they don't want to spend a premium on deals to get newer phones first because they are selling their "network." The only solution was buying the 8330 with the promise they'd do an early upgrade, as per notes. Is it surprising that in this economy those notes are not able to be found?

Well, the 8330 isn't working too well for me with the new OS. It needs some kinks to be worked out, freezes on me more than it used to after hanging up calls, frequently can't be found when connected to my laptop in order to tether (which disconnects), and needs the new OS to be updated and upgraded. So I was willing to even pay the termination fee to get a new phone - but shockingly you can't retain your old phone number and stay with VZW. The only solution is to leave! This means I have 2 options:

(a) Buy another phone to use on the VZW network. They have no Treos, only relatively old Palm and PPC technology. They actually told me to try to find a Storm on eBay and buy it retail but they'll connect it. Yeeesh... add to that $500+ which makes it not worth it. To heck with them. I'll pay their $125 a begone.

(b) Switch networks. This leaves the Bold on AT&T. The Curve on T-Mo is stripped down and just not worth it. I'm not really feeling the overpriced Apple technology hole, and not sure what other phone might have the increased resolution and speed that might make it a better laptop replacement when I can't drag it with me.

So let's look at the Bold:

(i) AT&T Network in NYC. Unfortunately GSM in the US operates on the wrong bandwidth for cities. Travels further but doesn't penetrate buildings. Most people on AT&T and T-Mo think NYC network sucks. Sprint is acceptable to good and also has the advantage of REAL GPS and unlocked CDMA phones. Is AT&T good enough to even consider the Bold?

(ii) I looked at the browser. I'm not impressed. Looks much like what we've got on the 4.5 upgraded Curve but just with better resolution and without all the emulation options like IE. So what use is this "new" browser exactly?

Yikes... what a tough challenge just to get a phone... any thoughts?
    11-20-08 09:55 PM
    Motorola startac. Great phones in the city. Even better, they're a dime a dozen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 11:40 PM
    Motorola startac. Great phones in the city. Even better, they're a dime a dozen.
    Unfortunately I hear they had better reception than the GSM ones.
    11-21-08 07:09 AM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lol bringin it back to 1998!!

-i use a pearl, but perhaps a Sprint curve 8330 will hold you over for a bit?

For smartphones i think its generally accepted that RIMM devices are bar-none..
    11-21-08 07:49 AM
    Hey slinky, my name is BJ DeHut and I am a representative for Sprint. Sprint’s reception in NYC is great, but I am biased of course, since I work for the company, but you can use this tool: to help show what the reception will be like in your specific area:

Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

Hope I could help!
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 11-24-08 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Activate link
    11-24-08 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD