Another reason to use Blackberry (best in security):

Android Trojan Virus Gemini Has Discovered | TheTechJournal.com
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    06-24-11 04:32 PM
    Key to the article, Lookout has found it and has updated Lookout users databases to search and destroy. ...
    06-24-11 04:50 PM
    Thank God for AV software.
    06-24-11 04:55 PM
    These are the viruses these fools catch. Imagine the backdoor stuff they NEVER catch? The stuff nobody knows about. Then again, security for some dumb teenager or mid 20 year old who owns NOTHING in life, and just wants to play games and talk to strangers of the opposite sex, just doesn't matter to them. Droid can stay with their core of unmarried, sexless, under 30 crowd...It's catered to and for them.
    06-24-11 05:14 PM
    These are the viruses these fools catch. Imagine the backdoor stuff they NEVER catch? The stuff nobody knows about. Then again, security for some dumb teenager or mid 20 year old who owns NOTHING in life, and just wants to play games and talk to strangers of the opposite sex, just doesn't matter to them. Droid can stay with their core of unmarried, sexless, under 30 crowd...It's catered to and for them.

atleast there are companies that act fast to take care of it. With RIMs security they still dont have a solution other than disabling java script i think. Im shocked RIM hasnt put out a patch or anything to fix the webkit issue.
    Last edited by howarmat; 06-24-11 at 05:47 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-24-11 05:25 PM
    Funny how most Android owners on this board are 30+, self sufficient, and have careers. Nice way to be prejudiced.
    06-24-11 05:37 PM
    Android has had it's share of bad press due to viruses and drive-bys. Blackberry has not been subject to the same, although I wouldn't say *never*.
    06-24-11 05:45 PM

Also, how is this news or a rumor about BlackBerrys?
    Last edited by avt123; 06-24-11 at 05:52 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-24-11 05:50 PM
    When was the last BlackBerry virus?

I don't remember any in the past 4 years when I got my first BB.
    06-24-11 06:10 PM
    There really haven't been any viruses on smartphones or mobile devices of any brand (that I can think of anyway). There are plenty of trojans which require the user to install the app. But nothing that self propagates.

That being said... Every smartphone platform has had them (yes, even Blackberry). The trick is in fooling the user into installing the app (and often that's easy to do because consumers are stupid). Unfortunately for Android, the market is completely open and any local yokel can publish an app on the Android Market. So it's up to the user to be diligent and review an app's permissions. If a permission is suspect, the user has to put forth the effort to inquire and investigate as to why it asks for the permissions it does.

I predict sometime soon Google will change the Android Market's policies on app submissions and start vetting them. Until that happens, it's good practice to stay away from "Girls!Girls!Girls!" apps, and apps that are obviously pirated or bad knockoffs of legitimate apps.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-24-11 at 06:24 PM.
    06-24-11 06:22 PM
    atleast there are companies that act fast to take care of it. With RIMs security they still dont have a solution other than disabling java script i think. Im shocked RIM hasnt put out a patch or anything to fix the webkit issue.
    that was one issue on old firmware (either .141 or .246 for 9800 iirc), yup, there have been OS updates since which updated the browser version too. id add theres no statement if it fixes it or not, but webkit has been updated so saying they havent updated it (even without knowledge of it being fixed or not) isnt really true.
    06-24-11 06:26 PM
    For those who don't seem to know, google Zeus Trojan on blackberry.

Funny how that never gets talked about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 06:27 PM
    that was one issue on old firmware (either .141 or .246 for 9800 iirc), yup, there have been OS updates since which updated the browser version too. id add theres no statement if it fixes it or not, but webkit has been updated so saying they havent updated it (even without knowledge of it being fixed or not) isnt really true.

from the pwn2own article

The attack was successful against BlackBerry firmware version 6.0.0.246. Pinckaers said RIM recently shipped a firmware update but he has since confirmed that the WebKit flaw remains unpatched.
    it would be nice if rim would come out and say if they have patch the webkit browser so people can start using their browsers properly again
    06-24-11 06:41 PM
    When was the last BlackBerry virus?

I don't remember any in the past 4 years when I got my first BB.
    Zeus Trojan.

06-24-11 06:44 PM
    it would be nice if rim would come out and say if they have patch the webkit browser so people can start using their browsers properly again
    thanks for exactly making my point, RIM has updated the webkit browser twice since .246, so without them saying which OS they tested on, or without a statement from RIM we are both simply guessing
    06-24-11 06:47 PM
    Droid can stay with their core of unmarried, sexless, under 30 crowd...It's catered to and for them.
    You do realize that "Droid" and "Android" are not interchangeable, right?
    06-24-11 06:49 PM
    I doubt he cares. Why do you?
    06-24-11 06:52 PM
    Do they both get viruses?
    06-24-11 06:54 PM
    No more than a BB.

06-24-11 06:57 PM
    Now that was pretty damn funny.
    06-24-11 06:57 PM
    Now that was pretty damn funny.
    Yeah but I did want to know because my sister has a Droid and my daughter has an EVO.
    06-24-11 07:12 PM
    Yeah but I did want to know because my sister has a Droid and my daughter has an EVO.
    I think they are all vulnerable as are most smart phones if you download something malicious. Android phones appear to have an increased vulnerability in part to lax app market maintenance and oversight.
    06-24-11 07:21 PM
    Is it Gemini or Geinimi and what exactly has it discovered? And are you sure it's even real and not just a "scare" advertisement to get people to buy Lookout Mobile Security, which in itself may be/contain a virus?

Seriously, this Chinese article about a Chinese virus that pushes a Chinese anti-virus software seems kind of questionable to me. Either way, glad I don't just download every app I see.
    06-24-11 07:32 PM
    For those who don't seem to know, google Zeus Trojan on blackberry.

Funny how that never gets talked about.

Already did that, details are notoriously unclear. The big detail left out, is does it do a drive-by or does it need DM to install itself. My guess is it needs DM to install itself, since if there were a way to install software without a users knowledge and consent that would be the biggest headline since Jobs releases iphone 4.

So while I don't doubt there is a virus or two, it still isn't in the magnitude of what has been talked about in the past regarding the Android operating system.
    06-24-11 07:37 PM
    Did anyone bother to check the date of the OP's linked article? December 2010... This is ancient history, not news.

It's the OP's best effort to date. Linking a badly written promo for an Android antivirus got him past 20 replies for the first time.
    06-24-11 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD