I have recently brought a second hand pearl 8100 on vodaphone, unlocked for use with my orange pay montly sim.

However the desktop manager wont work due to it being for vodaphone. When i go on to the blackberry site to download a desktop manager for orange it says that i must contact serivce provider if not brought directly from research in motion to confirm it can be used. do i need to do this?
    it also says that there is no handset software.

Also when filling out the form on blackberry site for the desktop manager (as i was going to just do it), company information is a required field but i dont want to use it for a company just personal use.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.
    08-17-09 11:57 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

There is no difference between carriers when it comes to the BlackBerry software.

The first step is to locate and download a copy of BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It has been through multiple revisions, currently, v5 is the preferred choice.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?

Once you have it installed, you can make a backup of the data and setting on your BlackBerry. You can also use it to synchronize your data with a computer.

This software also allows you to maintain the programs installed and do upgrades when your carrier make them available.

When you are filling out the download request form, it will accept nearly anything as valid information. I figure, they are giving me thousands of hours of software development for just my name? I am good with that.

08-17-09 12:48 PM
    Cheers for the help. really appreciate this...
    next question if you dont mind and can help. i have latest desktop manager and seems to have solved my problem. however im trying to add a new theme to my handset to make it a lil different.
    for example the iberry theme (or any other theme) how ever i cant find a download that will be recongnised by my computer for transfer to my handset is there some way around this?
    08-17-09 03:33 PM
    Cheers for the help. really appreciate this...
    next question if you dont mind and can help. i have latest desktop manager and seems to have solved my problem. however im trying to add a new theme to my handset to make it a lil different.
    for example the iberry theme (or any other theme) how ever i cant find a download that will be recongnised by my computer for transfer to my handset is there some way around this?
    There are two ways to install applications and themes. The simplest is Over The Air (OTA) where the cell networks is used to load the program. These will have a file type JAR and are best suited to smaller applications.

The second, and more common method, is to download them to a PC computer, then install them using Applications Loader. These will have a file type of AXL/COD and are often compressed into a single ZIP file.

After you have downloaded a ZIP file, you must extract the actual working files. There are the files you select with Browse... in Applications Loader.

There is a pre-conditon, you must also download and install a copy of your device OS software. You can use your original carriers version, or upgrade to the latest released version posted in the forums.
    08-17-09 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD