I have been doing some experimenting and came across this method for cleaning your trackball. Its AWESOME and MUCH easier than the manual method!

First off, I would recommend having two trackballs. One is already in your BB. Purchase a second one on eBay for 11 bucks. This will be a complete assembly.

Okay, when your trackball needs cleaning, pry off the chrome plated plastic retaing ring as per the other posts on trackball cleaning. Take your trackball assembly out and replace it with your spare, and replace the retaining ring. Cut the front half of the foot off an old pair of nylons, e.g. panty hose. Place the dirty trackball assembly (no need to disassemble!) into the toe of the stocking and tie it shut with a twistie. Place the stocking in the silverware basket of your automatic dishwasher next time you do a load of dishes. After the cycle is complete, remove the trackball and allow to air dry THOROUGHLY. It only takes a few hours to dry, so by the time your spare is dirty, it will be totally safe to put the clean one in. The enzymes present in the detergent will totally remove all traces of even the tiniest amounts of crud, and your balls will glisten white!

Interestingly, this same procedure will also clean your desktop computer keyboard. I'm not kidding. Water does not harm electronics in the least, PROVIDED IT IS NOT PRESENT WHEN POWER IS APPLIED. Pry off your key tops (take a pic first so you remember where they go) and place them in the silverware basket. Place the keyboard on one of the racks. After cycle, let air dry for at least one week. Replace keys and enjoy your shiny new keyboard!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-08 05:45 PM
    'If water doesn't harm electronics', then I can put my laptop in the dishwasher?
    04-06-08 05:49 PM
    'If water doesn't harm electronics', then I can put my laptop in the dishwasher?
    LMAFO. Sure why not.
    04-06-08 06:03 PM
    The trackball isn't electronic
    04-06-08 06:07 PM
    LMAFO. Sure why not.
    LMAO. No wonder my wife is still trying to drop the toaster in the bath tub while I'm soaking. She said it would be therapeutic. lol
    04-06-08 06:12 PM
    I have been doing some experimenting and came across this method for cleaning your trackball. Its AWESOME and MUCH easier than the manual method!

First off, I would recommend having two trackballs. One is already in your BB. Purchase a second one on eBay for 11 bucks. This will be a complete assembly.

Okay, when your trackball needs cleaning, pry off the chrome plated plastic retaing ring as per the other posts on trackball cleaning. Take your trackball assembly out and replace it with your spare, and replace the retaining ring. Cut the front half of the foot off an old pair of nylons, e.g. panty hose. Place the dirty trackball assembly (no need to disassemble!) into the toe of the stocking and tie it shut with a twistie. Place the stocking in the silverware basket of your automatic dishwasher next time you do a load of dishes. After the cycle is complete, remove the trackball and allow to air dry THOROUGHLY. It only takes a few hours to dry, so by the time your spare is dirty, it will be totally safe to put the clean one in. The enzymes present in the detergent will totally remove all traces of even the tiniest amounts of crud, and your balls will glisten white!

Interestingly, this same procedure will also clean your desktop computer keyboard. I'm not kidding. Water does not harm electronics in the least, PROVIDED IT IS NOT PRESENT WHEN POWER IS APPLIED. Pry off your key tops (take a pic first so you remember where they go) and place them in the silverware basket. Place the keyboard on one of the racks. After cycle, let air dry for at least one week. Replace keys and enjoy your shiny new keyboard!

Good advice to have replacement parts, anyway. I've always used a q-tip, a cotton ball, and some rubbing alcohol. The scotch didn't work very well.
    04-06-08 06:15 PM
    you guys missed the rest of the sentence... you can drop a motherboard in a bathtub. but as long as there was no electricity going thru it, and you completely dry it before using... the water shouldnt hrm it
    04-06-08 06:15 PM
    The trackball isn't electronic
    No, but it interacts with electronic parts. You don't want it carrying moisture into your Berry.

It's true, you can immerse a keyboard and not have any problems. Now, that doesn't mean you might not get soap residue stuck in there anywhere - deposits or mechanical damage can be a problem and corrode circuits. Typically this is just done with gently applied, clean water - no soap.

It shouldn't hurt the trackball though.
    04-06-08 06:17 PM
    does the keyboard on the red curve for att light up completeley or jsut the chracters on the kes light up (does it light up like the titanium one???) thanx
    04-06-08 06:22 PM
    does the keyboard on the red curv elight up
    04-06-08 06:23 PM
    does the keyboard on the red curv elight up

My wife has the red curve and yes.
    04-06-08 06:30 PM
    LMAFO. Sure why not.
    does the RED ATT curve's keyboard light up COMPLETLEY????
    04-06-08 06:31 PM
    why wouldnt it? ofcourse it does
    04-06-08 06:49 PM
    Alternately, you can also try using The Works toilet bowl cleaner, which is 20% hydrochloric acid. Not only will it clean out the grime, it'll also re-etch your circuits and turn the metal parts green. You can probably pan for gold and other valuable metals from the runoff that results and be fairly successful. You will notice a dramatic decrease in the number of calls received and the amount of data transferred, but your Berry will be as clean as a whistle!

Note: In case you're possibly not the brightest crayon in the box, the above tip is not meant to be taken literally - unless you're annoying with your phone, in which case, go right ahead.
    04-06-08 06:53 PM
    ha ha ha ha
    04-06-08 06:55 PM
    Alternately, you can also try using The Works toilet bowl cleaner, which is 20% hydrochloric acid. Not only will it clean out the grime, it'll also re-etch your circuits and turn the metal parts green. You can probably pan for gold and other valuable metals from the runoff that results and be fairly successful. You will notice a dramatic decrease in the number of calls received and the amount of data transferred, but your Berry will be as clean as a whistle!

Note: In case you're possibly not the brightest crayon in the box, the above tip is not meant to be taken literally - unless you're annoying with your phone, in which case, go right ahead.

OMG that is way too funny
    04-06-08 06:57 PM
    Yeah very funny thread
    But why do you guys copy the whole question?
    Why not just copy the part you are referencing. Everybody already read it. I don't see the point...

04-06-08 08:15 PM
    Well, basically I think the dishwasher method is sound - so long as you don't use some kind of cheap washing powder that leaves any residue, or anything harsh that might damage the surface of the ball. It would probably be best to closely examine the ball before putting it back in, and maybe drop it in a cup of club soda or something to see if anything evaporates off.
    04-06-08 08:51 PM

no it doesn't. I have a red 8310 and just the characters for each button light up.

On my gf's titanium 8310, each entire button lights up.
    04-06-08 09:00 PM
    Not for nothing, but RIM could solve this whole thing by just making the silly thing black to BEGIN with......I blow my ball every so often with canned air, and move on....(get your minds outa the gutter-lol)
    04-06-08 09:27 PM
    I'm liking the cotton boll or q tip with rubbing alcohol for cleaning mine

04-06-08 10:42 PM
    Not for nothing, but RIM could solve this whole thing by just making the silly thing black to BEGIN with......I blow my ball every so often with canned air, and move on....(get your minds outa the gutter-lol)
    My friend has a broken 8100 and it has a black trackball...she said it came like that, but it looked like grime to me.

Anyway, I expect they make them that color so that you know when it gets dirty and needs cleaning. A dirty ball affects performance, just like a mouse ball or dirty keyboard. Also, the glowing orb allows them to call it the "Pearl" rather than the "Blackberry With Black Ball".
    04-06-08 10:46 PM
    nice, thanks for the info
    04-06-08 10:50 PM
    11 for a trackball man i got burned then
    04-07-08 03:51 AM
    DO NOT put your laptop in the dishwasher.

You can put SOME keyboards whole into the dishwasher, but this is not really best. Heat will damage electronics, even if they are off. Moreover, some components (transitors) can be damaged by an extremely small current, like that created by static or a discharging capacitor that becomes wet.

Best to take the keys off, and the electronics out of the keyboard, then put it all in the dishwasher.

Patrick
    04-07-08 07:01 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD