RIM�s first slider, the BlackBerry Torch 9800, rumour has it the next one will be smaller and cheaper. The reduced size suggests that such a device would have a condensed keyboard like the Pearl series, but that�s just fun with Photoshop at this point. Exactly how much cheaper we�re talking is open to interpretation, but it would have to be a significant drop in price if the top-end Torch is selling for $99 on contract.

(photoshop image)

Slim Entry-Level BlackBerry Slider on the Way?
    11-14-10 02:35 AM
    how much cheaper can you get? A sure-type keyboard isn't going to dramatically drop the costs unless the screen is indeed cut in size.

Unless they plan on getting rid of the bezel and having the screen and keyboard go right to the edge. Actually, i wouldn't have minded the qwerty keyboard going to the edge on the torch, just like the 9700-9780.

Unless slim, they're talking about the thickness of the device? In which case, I wouldn't care to much for it. I mean it feels good in the hand already. Perhaps dropping a few grams here and there and you'll be right.

I think people would prefer the specs to jump up in size and have the torch dropped to a lower price bracket.

It'll be interesting to see what they do as its good to cover each market segment whilst keeping the overall experience consistent (in good way of course :P)
    Last edited by zensen; 11-14-10 at 05:17 AM.
    11-14-10 05:14 AM
    A Pearl Slide? Would be interesting. Probably goes hand-in-hand with the touchscreen QNX flip Pearl rumour.
    11-14-10 11:09 AM
    I think it would be pointless and not sell too well at all
    11-14-10 11:21 AM
    A Pearl Slide? Would be interesting. Probably goes hand-in-hand with the touchscreen QNX flip Pearl rumour.
    The Pearl Slide is an old concept I first heard of 2 years ago. It would be interesting to see if it comes to life.
    11-14-10 01:14 PM
    The Torch is $99 right now. Is it even selling well? If not, I can't see this device selling well either.
    11-14-10 02:19 PM
    I think, it would be stupid to do a reduced-keyboard thing. The full keyboard is the selling point of the BB in many's eyes.

On the other hand, BB really need a "flagship" phone, which is supposedly the torch right now, but still they should need a real flagship, just like how other phone makers have a "flagship" phone, which is the leader and on the cutting edge technology.

Keep the torch the way it is, just do the software updates and fixes, but don't forget the crowd which goes for the best of the best, regardless if it costs 400 bucks with a 2 year contract. It's sort of like how the car companies have a flagship car..it might be too expensive for average users, but it's more like a demonstration of technology. That's what RIM should be working on, not on prepaid-like quality phones, that market is already saturated, no need for more cheap phones.
    11-14-10 06:45 PM
    I think they should concentrate on getting the torch on all the carriers. I like the concept but not able to use as verizon is my carrier

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-10 07:09 PM
    I don't get it either, why build another POS cheapo phone? the Torch is already $99 on contract, thats pretty cheap for a high end smartphone in their line-up. Why would anyone go lower?
    11-14-10 09:36 PM
    I don't get it either, why build another POS cheapo phone? the Torch is already $99 on contract, thats pretty cheap for a high end smartphone in their line-up. Why would anyone go lower?
    And those who want the " old fashioned BB experience", you can get a BB curve for 200 bucks brand new, and you got yourself a decent phone with no contract, to be used with any gsm carrier.

I mean..200 bucks for a curve you can use with any GSM providers, why would anyone want to buy a cheapo slim phone with a plan nowadays, and to top it off, as I said, this area is already saturated by androids and various no-name phones which will do the exact same thing as a slim torch, but perhaps even having higher specs than the full blown torch itself?? And cost nothing with a plan?

Not to mention, just how hard is to come up with 99 dollars? If you have a job and you want a phone, - I mean..I remember 10 years ago I bought this Sprint phone that had zero features beside making calls and texting and I paid like 200 bucks for the damn thing and I only had a part time job.
    Or is it the size really? Come on now, the torch isn't so big at all, compared to how people are literally buying a small screen TVs for phones, like the droid X.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 11-14-10 at 11:25 PM.
    11-14-10 11:20 PM
    My opinion of the perfect BB would be a remake of the original Bold 9000. Huge keyboard, big screen, OS 6 or 7 at that point, with of course the trackpad. 1Ghz processor and 8GB of internal memory minimum. If RIM made that happen, I'd be one happy camper.

Wolfpacal
    11-15-10 05:54 PM
    My opinion of the perfect BB would be a remake of the original Bold 9000. Huge keyboard, big screen, OS 6 or 7 at that point, with of course the trackpad. 1Ghz processor and 8GB of internal memory minimum. If RIM made that happen, I'd be one happy camper.

Wolfpacal
    throw in a better Internet browser while at it, and I will be happy too.

Opera still doesn't have a browser that supports the OS6. Well of course, that can be blamed on Opera, but still come on....the BB internet browser feels and acts very stone age, compared to the competition.
    11-15-10 10:08 PM
    We don't need a "make do" Blackberry.

Torch with all the goodies. Period.

Or something better? Like Torch HD? (I like that name)

Tim
    11-16-10 05:40 PM

Wolfpacal
    throw in a better Internet browser while at it, and I will be happy too.
    Hopefully, RIM will make it happen.......one day.
    11-16-10 06:23 PM
    If what you say is true, who cares.

What they need to do, is increase the specs of the Torch: resolution/ram/gpu/cam/everything

and THEN, make the keyboard bigger. What not go back towards the 9000 styling.
    11-16-10 07:29 PM
    I'd actually consider that phone, given the internal specs get better. The Pearl (which got me into Crackberry) was great, and I could type a lot faster on SureType than on the full keyboard. Also, I'm sure there are a lot of teenagers out there who would buy them... lol
    11-19-10 07:37 AM
    Although I know most love QWERTY, I'm a huge fan of SureType and feel that most people don't give it enough of a chance. You can type very quickly and easily with one hand. If you could fit in good spec (like the Pearl 3G) in a smaller/lighter form, why wouldn't you? I don't see the desire to carry around a brick in your pocket. I'm looking forward to this phone....if it actually shows up....hopefully on Verizon!
    11-21-10 09:39 AM
    i went from a pearl to S2, and since the S2 had the suretype keyboard option it was an easy transition. suretype is great and if they put it on a slider maybe not such a bad idea.
    11-21-10 11:08 AM
    I had a S2 for a little while, and liked it, but in the end returned it since it just wasn't quite tactile enough for me. Probably a little overkill...but it's nice to be able to type without looking and I couldn't do that on the S2.
    11-21-10 11:59 AM
    I wish I knew the logic behind a cheaper Torch. Its already cheap in more ways than one (specs&price). Anything else seems to me like another way of RIM just trying to clean its shelves of the old "tech!" Am I wrong???
    11-21-10 06:10 PM
    I wish I knew the logic behind a cheaper Torch. Its already cheap in more ways than one (specs&price). Anything else seems to me like another way of RIM just trying to clean its shelves of the old "tech!" Am I wrong???
    Yah, just how cheap is considered too cheap? Hope it turns out to be just another rumor. Sometimes, cheaper (parts or price) is not better. Now if I owned stock in RIM, I might think differently.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD