I am glad i found this forum. Please bear with me while i ask some very basic questions. I find the user manual for the 8830 to be about useless and can't even read the keys when they say press this key and illustrate the key, all i can see is a blur.

so here goes..

1. what is phone mode? Sometimes when i am on the home screen i can start entering phone numbers, no problem. other times, i can hit any key i want and nothing enters. Does this have something to do with being in 'phone mode' which i have heard that term used but not explained.

2. what is BBmessage? Is that different than an email or a text message?

3. I have icon showing two unread messages but i can't find any unread messages in either my message box or email box. how to clear? Or do i have one of these BBMessages that I don't know about?

4. the mailbox icon (i am using the standard verizon theme) is where i go to find messages. it also shows missed calls, emails etc. This doesn't make sense to me. But i guess i can get used to it. Then I have an icon for email that will just show the emails. But they are also shown in the mailbox messages icon as well. Why is this? Can I have just messages show in the message icon?

thank you very much. i appreciate any help I can get!
    01-09-09 11:25 AM
    I am glad i found this forum. Please bear with me while i ask some very basic questions. I find the user manual for the 8830 to be about useless and can't even read the keys when they say press this key and illustrate the key, all i can see is a blur.

so here goes..

1. what is phone mode? Sometimes when i am on the home screen i can start entering phone numbers, no problem. other times, i can hit any key i want and nothing enters. Does this have something to do with being in 'phone mode' which i have heard that term used but not explained.

2. what is BBmessage? Is that different than an email or a text message?

3. I have icon showing two unread messages but i can't find any unread messages in either my message box or email box. how to clear? Or do i have one of these BBMessages that I don't know about?

4. the mailbox icon (i am using the standard verizon theme) is where i go to find messages. it also shows missed calls, emails etc. This doesn't make sense to me. But i guess i can get used to it. Then I have an icon for email that will just show the emails. But they are also shown in the mailbox messages icon as well. Why is this? Can I have just messages show in the message icon?

thank you very much. i appreciate any help I can get!

Phone - You will still receive your sms, emails etc, however if you had an audible alert for these, it wont sound, basically it enables only the ringer for the phone to be heard.

2. BBM - an instant message program for usage between blackberry users, so if you know anyone else with a BB, (and a data plan) you can communicate this way, you and the other user will have to find your PIN to add. (options, status, its in there) - usually the icon to let you know a message it there, a smiley face.

3- you will need to check your saved messages, you might have accidentally saved 2 without realising, or check your texts folder, all your messaging folders basically to find these 2 messages.

To have messages only in the messages icon and to have a seperate SMS icon Messages, Options, General, SMS and Email Inboxes, set that to seperate, and now you can hide the other email box you will have,
    ed I have my messages going into my main messages icon, but I will also have a [email protected] box too, I hide that one, (scroll to it, menu key, hide)

To stop calls from logging in the messages box - go to your phone icon, menu key, options, call logging, set to none.
    01-09-09 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD