I just heard from a friend there was a large layoff in Waterloo this morning.
    Anyone has heard anything?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 10:37 AM
    Nope, but if true, it could be a continuation of the phased downsizing mentioned several months ago.
    03-17-14 10:40 AM
    I just heard from a friend there was a large layoff in Waterloo this morning.
    Anyone has heard anything?

Posted via CB10
    Worst part of a struggling company is the loss of good jobs. Good luck to everyone affected. Makes you wonder how a company can recover when they are loosing so much talent. Previously I seen people saying that maybe there not needed but so many people have been laid off in the last few years it's hard to believe all these people aren't needed for the turn around.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-17-14 10:41 AM
    Worst part of a struggling company is the loss of good jobs. Good luck to everyone affected. Makes you wonder how a company can recover when they are loosing so much talent. Previously I seen people saying that maybe there not needed but so many people have been laid off in the last few years it's hard to believe all these people aren't needed for the turn around.
    Like you, my thoughts are with those who have lost jobs. Times are tough and it is not easy finding jobs so prayers and good vibes go out to all of them who will be looking for work. At the same time, BlackBerry cannot continue to bleed money and remain viable. There are some tough decisions that has been made, and continue to be made to try getting the company on a sound financial footing and unfortunately, employees often get caught in the delicate dance.
    03-17-14 10:53 AM
    Like you, my thoughts are with those who have lost jobs. Times are tough and it is not easy finding jobs so prayers and good vibes go out to all of them who will be looking for work. At the same time, BlackBerry cannot continue to bleed money and remain viable. There are some tough decisions that has been made, and continue to be made to try getting the company on a sound financial footing and unfortunately, employees often get caught in the delicate dance.
    I completely agree. I'm very sad for all the families thar are being affected.
    03-17-14 11:25 AM
    I was one of the people who lost my job almost 3 years ago, I know it's hard for a company to do it but trust me there is a lot there that doesn't need to be. So much process involved in items it actually slows down the company, as much as I hate to say it this is a needed step to get the company in to lean shape.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    blackmoe likes this.
    03-17-14 01:42 PM
    Why do people NEW round?
    I think this is the same layoff mentioned 3 yrs ago.. or whatever.
    Doesn't make any better but this keeps feeding the media that it is NEW.
    03-17-14 01:44 PM
    There were 120 layoffs today, it's NOT new as your title suggests they were earmarked as part of the original restructuring plan! They will end all layoffs at the end of May. Headlines like these are cheap sensationalism that has adverse effects on the stock price. Very irresponsible and misleading.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and Cold Dog like this.
    03-17-14 04:39 PM
    There were 120 layoffs today, it's NOT new as your title suggests they were earmarked as part of the original restructuring plan! They will end all layoffs at the end of May. Headlines like these are cheap sensationalism that has adverse effects on the stock price. Very irresponsible and misleading.

Posted via CB10
    Its still 120 people who's last day working was today. We should be concentrating on them rather than anything regarding the company.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-17-14 04:45 PM
    Its still 120 people who's last day working was today. We should be concentrating on them rather than anything regarding the company.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    It's a business, I fully empathize with them, however it's a necessary ill that is done to help the company return to profitability, it's never easy and I'm certain they are letting go of some really talented people which is unfortunate, hopefully once they (BlackBerry) can right the ship quickly they can re employ those affected in the shortest possible time.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 04:50 PM
    It's a business, I fully empathize with them, however it's a necessary ill that is done to help the company return to profitability, it's never easy and I'm certain they are letting go of some really talented people which is unfortunate, hopefully once they (BlackBerry) can right the ship quickly they can re employ those affected in the shortest possible time.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree that's its necessary. It just seems people are more worried about the company's image rather than the little people. Is this the last of it or are there more planned? I believe it was going to be 40% or so if I remember correctly.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-17-14 04:58 PM
    I totally agree that's its necessary. It just seems people are more worried about the company's image rather than the little people. Is this the last of it or are there more planned? I believe it was going to be 40% or so if I remember correctly.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Yes there will be more unfortunately, the final rounds will be completed by the end of May. I'm not concerned too much with company image, my argument is that it's being reported as something new or surprising and it's not ,I hope that the breadwinners of these families can get placement soon and my thoughts are with them.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 05:06 PM
    Yep, 120 gone

Z10 on Telus
    03-17-14 05:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    You keep saying that but eventually the employee count is less than 100 and the company folds or is bought for patents and maybe real estate. You can't run a company staffed only by interns and co-op students. If BlackBerry becomes a software company, they're basically finished because the tight integration of smartphone and management software is lost forever. The new revenue model for BES 10 is not sufficient to sustain the company.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    03-17-14 05:59 PM
    You keep saying that but eventually the employee count is less than 100 and the company folds or is bought for patents and maybe real estate. You can't run a company staffed only by interns and co-op students. If BlackBerry becomes a software company, they're basically finished because the tight integration of smartphone and management software is lost forever. The new revenue model for BES 10 is not sufficient to sustain the company.

Let's not exaggerate, they planned a 40 % reduction of staff,this was said when they announced their restructuring plan. I highly doubt that they will eliminate the staff necessary for a successful turn around. There is no plan in the short term to dispense with the handset division, as evidenced by the new device roll out this year. I believe they are aware that in order to offer a true end to end solution they MUST stay on the hardware side of business, it's what they are aiming for core. Customers in the Enterprise Market and then the general consumers. Though with the Jarkarta release they are trying to stem the hemorrhage on the general consumer side. The workforce was 7000 full time employees globally there are or were scheduled to cut 40% ,it's necessary at this point, they can't continue to spend more than they earn basic economic sense. Once the ship has righted itself they will set a path for growth once again. Very sad for the employees and families but necessary at this point.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 06:44 PM

I also dont think you realize how big the company grew and how quickly it took off, when a company becomes a success story almost overnight they take on alot of people with out realizing why. The company hit the height of almost 20,000 people, back when i was hired count came in at about 18500 even if you reduce that by 50% i guarantee the company is manageable. So many people where hired that made the process of requesting a headphone set for your BlackBerry almost became a 2 day task, I am sorry to say but after working there i know there is too much to work properly. I truly believe even being one that was cut, only way for BlackBerry to survive is to become slim and efficient and that's what it is missing the most.
    03-17-14 07:03 PM
    I'm with you everyone...the positive side is most of these people are completely employable. As a Realtor in Burlington, Milton, and Oakville (between Waterloo and Toronto) , I have stumbled across quite relocating for jobs they have quickly found.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    03-17-14 07:13 PM