With the announcement of the Venice I am wondering if anybody knows if there are plans for a new, powerful BB10 phone with similar specs as the Venice? I like the idea of the Android phone for people that want android, but for those of us who love BB10 and it's true multitasking and active frames, is there going to be something released for us at that size and specs?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 03:48 PM
    With the announcement of the Venice I am wondering if anybody knows if there are plans for a new, powerful BB10 phone with similar specs as the Venice? I like the idea of the Android phone for people that want android, but for those of us who love BB10 and it's true multitasking and active frames, is there going to be something released for us at that size and specs?

Posted via CB10
    I think the Android Slider is the last ditch effort in the device space. If it doesn't gain decent traction, that will be the end.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    lmsilvam likes this.
    08-19-15 03:57 PM
    I think the Slider is the last ditch effort in the device space. If it doesn't gain decent traction, that will be the end.

Its meant to be 1080p right? Someone mentioned on another thread that 1080p isn't supposed by BB10 and with no real development activity hard to see how it could be a similar spec...
    08-19-15 03:58 PM
    Its meant to be 1080p right? Someone mentioned on another thread that 1080p isn't supposed by BB10 and with no real development activity hard to see how it could be a similar spec...
    It's actually rumoured to have QHD.

If the Android Slider makes really good money, they may resume BB10 development (without the Android Runtime of course). You never know.

08-19-15 04:02 PM
    There was a 1080p device in development at one point, there is evidence in the code of some system Apps, but it was likely cancelled
    08-19-15 04:04 PM
    I think the Android Slider is the last ditch effort in the device space. If it doesn't gain decent traction, that will be the end.

It's sad to hear that. Bb10 is a superior platform. I don't have Snapchat, but I can live with that. I wish bb10 got the traction it needed. Oh well I guess I will be using my z30 for a long long time! Lol

Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    08-19-15 04:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes it's called the BlackBerry Venice running on BlackBerry 10.30

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 05:32 PM
    What do you mean? Does the Venice run 10.3? I don't believe it does...I think it is a straight android with a hub-like system in place. Does it have true multitasking? Does it have active frames? If it doesn't then it is hardly running BB10, is it?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 05:35 PM
    What do you mean? Does the Venice run 10.3? I don't believe it does...I think it is a straight android with a hub-like system in place. Does it have true multitasking? Does it have active frames? If it doesn't then it is hardly running BB10, is it?

Posted via CB10
    There is also a rumour that the Venice may also come out in a pure BB10 variant (probably stripped of the Android Runtime) as well.

08-19-15 05:41 PM
    There is also a rumour that the Venice may also come out in a pure BB10 variant (probably stripped of the Android Runtime) as well.

I doubt they would strip the runtime really, after all the Android App advertising it would be a nightmare if people bought it expecting the run time and it wasn't there.
    08-19-15 05:43 PM
    I doubt they would strip the runtime really, after all the Android App advertising it would be a nightmare if people bought it expecting the run time and it wasn't there.
    It's not BlackBerry's choice. They would be required to under OHA rules.

08-19-15 05:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Since everything we have herd about the Venice is rumor and speculation I suppose Amy rumor is as good as the next and what has been rumored is that the Venice will come in two variations, one running Android and another running BlackBerry 10.3 it's on the Crackberry news feed

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Glenn Biddle; 08-19-15 at 08:01 PM.
    08-19-15 05:52 PM
    It's not BlackBerry's choice. They would be required to under OHA rules.

Can you explain further? Would there be a problem with it running the 10.3 runtime under OHA rules? Why couldn't they simply put 10.3 on the Venice?

Ideally, we would have Google permissions on 10.3 as it is, but since we can't and I can run 90% of Android apps on my Z30, I'm just curious as to why we couldn't just have this exact 10.3 runtime on beefier hardware.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 05:53 PM
    Can you explain further? Would there be a problem with it running the 10.3 runtime under OHA rules? Why couldn't they simply put 10.3 on the Venice?

Posted via CB10
    This has been covered to death in other threads.

BlackBerry is clearly committed to a pure Android device with Google Play Services. As a result, they would not be permitted to also make a competing product with a forked version of Android.

08-19-15 08:06 PM

Ideally, we would have Google permissions on 10.3 as it is, but since we can't and I can run 90% of Android apps on my Z30, I'm just curious as to why we couldn't just have this exact 10.3 runtime on beefier hardware.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure it probably would and since we're all talking rumors any way, there was another rumor saying that Google and BlackBerry made a deal, GPS would be aloud on BB10 phones if BlackBerry made a line of Android phones and that might explain this whole BlackBerry Android thing.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Glenn Biddle; 08-19-15 at 10:06 PM.
    08-19-15 08:08 PM
    I'm sure it probably would and since we're all talking rumors any way, there was another rumor saying that Google and BlackBerry made a deal, GPS would be aloud on BB10 phones if BlackBerry made a line of Android phones and that might explain this whole BlackBerry Android thing.

Posted via CB10
    Which will be fantasy - never happened, not going to happen (not at this time anyway)
    08-20-15 02:01 AM
    Which will be fantasy - never happened, not going to happen (not at this time anyway)
    What are you doing posting here? I mean you must be on the Google board of directors to know so much, won't they get a little POed that you're here posting on Crackberry?

Posted via CB10
    Jake2826 likes this.
    08-20-15 07:33 AM

BlackBerry is clearly committed to a pure Android device with Google Play Services. As a result, they would not be permitted to also make a competing product with a forked version of Android.

Expect if BB becomes the exception to the rules....
    08-20-15 07:39 AM
    Expect if BB becomes the exception to the rules....
    That could happen - only problem is that nobody so far has presented a compelling case why that would happen. Some have said "to allow google to compete in the enterprise sector" but google already beats BBRY hands down in that sector, BBRY quarterly unit sales account for maybe half a day of android unit sales".

All of the leaks (and they seem to be coming fast and furious at this point) seem to point in one direction - and its a straight forward one - BBRY are going to release a device running virtually stock android with a suite of their own apps and an android rehash of the hub concept. Now it could be that they get this exception but the more likely outcome given how weak they are in the market is that they pull the plug on BB10 entirely or they pull the runtime. I haven't mentioned the "hypervisor" or "dual-boot" options simply because they are too silly to take seriously.
    08-20-15 07:47 AM
    That could happen - only problem is that nobody so far has presented a compelling case why that would happen. Some have said "to allow google to compete in the enterprise sector" but google already beats BBRY hands down in that sector, BBRY quarterly unit sales account for maybe half a day of android unit sales".

All of the leaks (and they seem to be coming fast and furious at this point) seem to point in one direction - and its a straight forward one - BBRY are going to release a device running virtually stock android with a suite of their own apps and an android rehash of the hub concept. Now it could be that they get this exception but the more likely outcome given how weak they are in the market is that they pull the plug on BB10 entirely or they pull the runtime. I haven't mentioned the "hypervisor" or "dual-boot" options simply because they are too silly to take seriously.
    Exactly, BBRY devices are so marginal that there is virtually no risk for Goolge to allow this, whereas the volume of devices of other companies are probably much larger. Anyways, this is just pure speculation here. I hear the arguments. Based on leaks, it seems that we will get a Android based BBRY device.
    08-20-15 07:56 AM

Suddenly I hate google 😑

Posted via bb :P
    08-20-15 06:06 PM

I didn't read all of those other threads but...

...is BlackBerry now a member of the OHA?

And to my knowledge the violation occurs when the forked OS no longer "supports" Android. When Amazon forked Android to create their Fire OS, they removed GPS/GS. Google was upset, but did nothing about it as far as I know. Then again, I don't think Amazon was a member of OHA to begin with and Fire definitely supports Android. It is Android.

...However, I must ask; what exactly does "supporting Android" mean? Does Android Run Time not support Android? Or is it only a matter of the Google Play Store and/or Google Services?

If BlackBerry is not a member, and they do not appear to listed on any official lists of members (TAT, is, however, a member and perhaps this is why the left BlackBerry?) then not only would they not be obligated by OHA rules but that the deal they made with Google is simply between them and Google to get the GPS/GS on the Venice in exchange for the Venice being largely vanilla Android with no commercial option for a BB10 version.
    09-18-15 05:05 PM
    It surprises me how much complete crap there is in the forums. OK, time to deal with facts. For those that can read a balance sheet where does 43 percent of blackberry's revenue come from? That's right, it's hardware. Does BlackBerry spend greater than 43% of its revenue on R&D&M on hardware. Nooooooooooo. So stop saying this is the last phone blah, blah, blah, they are losing money on hardware. It is nonsense. If you want to argue that their not making enough to justify the expense, now that is at least a legitimate statement. Of course, the only problem being where are secure phones to come from? Clearly Android can't do it and that is well acknowledge by BlackBerry and Google. Do you people not get it? BB10 is here to stay but it is going to be designed for the secure high end market. That is where it is all heading. Good luck living that wet dream of fully secure Android.

Posted via CB10
    Jahcure, Chriz, Omahahaha and 1 others like this.
    10-26-15 07:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    From what I hear from a guy I know at BlackBerry the BB10 phones going forward will be limited to lower spec work phones like Classic and Leap. Basically high security corporate issue phones with a lower price point.

The Priv release is a trial thing to see if people want a high end business phone with secure Android. If it sells there will be more. If not it's likely death or sale of the hardware division.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    10-27-15 09:03 AM
    Of course, the only problem being where are secure phones to come from in a way that makes it profitable and worthwhile for someone to develop the scale to bother
    Beats me, looking at their financial reports, it beat BBRY as well.
    10-27-15 09:10 AM
51 123