Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    03-14-14 12:23 PM
    Pocket posting???

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-14-14 05:17 PM
    You completely missed my point, I know what the phone is for. I'm saying make a phone that works well for all and spend them across the market instead of targeting specific areas. A phone that is only available in emerging markets is still a Blackberry that someone in a developed market may love if it's available and offers the right features.

Posted via CB10
    I haven't missed your point at all, but I do think you're wrong. If that phone was meant as a low end phone for developed markets, ie North America and Europe etc., then I'd agree that it should have 4G. But since it is intended for developing markets I don't see that being an issue.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    03-14-14 10:46 PM
    I haven't missed your point at all, but I do think you're wrong. If that phone was meant as a low end phone for developed markets, ie North America and Europe etc., then I'd agree that it should have 4G. But since it is intended for developing markets I don't see that being an issue.

But then John Chen has also said that there will be an 4G version coming so it could be that it will come to North America and Europe as a low cost phone sometime in the future. Someing akin to the Moto G.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 11:52 PM
    But then John Chen has also said that there will be an 4G version coming so it could be that it will come to North America and Europe as a low cost phone sometime in the future. Someing akin to the Moto G.

Posted via CB10
    And that makes sense to me.

Although my opinion is that they should stop trying to compete in the low cost market in the developed markets. Just have high end phones. One touch and one QWERTY.

If they want to sell to the lower end then they can have last year's model as the low cost option.

Just my opinion.

NickDomi likes this.
    03-15-14 03:51 AM
    Pocket posting???

Posted via CB10
    Oh my......holy crap, yea I guess it was I mean it's also about as literate as my 2 year old is......hmm you're guess is as good as mine

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-16-14 03:53 PM
    BlackBerry has full intentions to eventually release a full featured Z3 for the North American and European markets. In order for this to happen, it will depend on its Sales within its intended Emerging Markets. If it sells very healthy in those markets, and increases BlackBerry's device market share Globally, expect this device or something similar to enter our markets.

If this device was available in my Area, I would pick 2 to 3 up in a heat beat.
    03-17-14 03:14 AM

Reason being it would cost a lot more $$$$ to make it 4G certifiable for example. Hence, the under $200 price tag goes out the window.
    03-17-14 03:17 AM
    Although my opinion is that they should stop trying to compete in the low cost market in the developed markets. Just have high end phones. One touch and one QWERTY.

If they want to sell to the lower end then they can have last year's model as the low cost option.
    Often the previous year's model would still cost too much to be the ideal option for the low cost market and that is precisely why they have done this deal with foxconn who are ideal to produce such devices.

With their focus on the business market, they probably need to have lost cost models more than the higher end ones as the latter are not what companies are going to tend to buy for their employees.

They still need the higher end models, but in no way should they be ducking out of cost-effective options.
    03-21-14 06:39 AM
    BlackBerry has full intentions to eventually release a full featured Z3 for the North American and European markets. In order for this to happen, it will depend on its Sales within its intended Emerging Markets. If it sells very healthy in those markets, and increases BlackBerry's device market share Globally, expect this device or something similar to enter our markets.
    I would suspect that the sales of this initial device will have zero impact on the LTE model, that one will already be in the works as they need a cost-effective update to their product portfolio as they run down their stock of written-down hardware because making more of those would not be the way for them to survive.
    03-21-14 06:56 AM
    Often the previous year's model would still cost too much to be the ideal option for the low cost market and that is precisely why they have done this deal with foxconn who are ideal to produce such devices.

With their focus on the business market, they probably need to have lost cost models more than the higher end ones as the latter are not what companies are going to tend to buy for their employees.

They still need the higher end models, but in no way should they be ducking out of cost-effective options.
    I think you missed what I was saying. I'm not suggesting that they need to opt out of building low cost devices for the developing markets. I'm saying that they should stop building specific low cost models for the developed markets.

NickDomi likes this.
    03-21-14 12:57 PM
    Well we could go into argument that 3G is enough of speed for daily tasks and LTE is not an addition without a compromise either.
    03-21-14 01:44 PM
    Plus don't forget bro, there's always insurance. If I drop my Z30 today I get another one at no cost, but I payed extra for that. But for whoever want to go for the basic insurance plan like I have before, just pay $50 and you will get another one mailed to you.

Posted via CB10
    Where does one buy phone insurance. I have never heard of this before....but I like the idea.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-21-14 07:18 PM
    I think you missed what I was saying. I'm not suggesting that they need to opt out of building low cost devices for the developing markets. I'm saying that they should stop building specific low cost models for the developed markets.

I agree

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 07:36 PM

And abandon one of the few markets where they still have a foothold? It'd be suicide for the devices division and John Chen knows it.
    03-21-14 07:40 PM
    Well we could go into argument that 3G is enough of speed for daily tasks and LTE is not an addition without a compromise either.
    Sure you could have made that argument before 4G came out, now it really is a must if you've had it and can afford to have it. It's like taking a man's Mercedes and giving him a Fiat, you may get where you're going, but you may not enjoy the ride as much.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 07:40 PM
    I didn't miss your point, I simply think it is wrong because they need those devices for the business markets and the sell last year's model at a cheaper price simply doesn't work, the only example of that was with the iphone and even apple had to introduce the 5c because costs were not dropping sufficiently anymore to allow them to keep doing that.

The thing BB needs to do with the lower cost hardware is minimise their exposure on such devices and that is precisely why they have this foxconn deal as it eliminates the need to stock up on a lot of components or hold a lot of device stock afterwards and if I had to guess I would suspect that we have seen our last lower cost device that is entirely a BB-produced device.
    03-22-14 05:38 AM
    I didn't miss your point, I simply think it is wrong because they need those devices for the business markets and the sell last year's model at a cheaper price simply doesn't work, the only example of that was with the iphone and even apple had to introduce the 5c because costs were not dropping sufficiently anymore to allow them to keep doing that.

The thing BB needs to do with the lower cost hardware is minimise their exposure on such devices and that is precisely why they have this foxconn deal as it eliminates the need to stock up on a lot of components or hold a lot of device stock afterwards and if I had to guess I would suspect that we have seen our last lower cost device that is entirely a BB-produced device.
    Only thing is that Apple is a big player who can afford to have lots of models. BlackBerry can't right now. In the future when they have rebuilt and a profitable again then it might make sense. To me now is a time they should be focusing just building top of the line models to show that are still competitive.

DJM626 likes this.
    03-22-14 07:46 AM
    Only thing is that Apple is a big player who can afford to have lots of models. BlackBerry can't right now. In the future when they have rebuilt and a profitable again then it might make sense. To me now is a time they should be focusing just building top of the line models to show that are still competitive.

But Apple really don't have lots of models. In the past it was ONE phone in a few colour and storage options plus last year's model, now it's two phones with a few more colour options, and previous years' models (4s, 5).

With the Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30 BlackBerry already have "more" phones out there (and still selling legacy), albeit only few colour and no different storage options.

BlackBerry have more different actual models (size, keyboard, screen), Apple have more options for the same model (colours, storage).

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    03-22-14 08:07 PM
    With the Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30 BlackBerry already have "more" phones out there (and still selling legacy), albeit only few colour and no different storage options.

BlackBerry have more different actual models (size, keyboard, screen), Apple have more options for the same model (colours, storage).
    "No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    I think that's the problem. They have too many models. They are trying to be too many things to too make people. They've lost focus and as a result instead of having two really good models they have 126 mediocre ones.

I think they need to focus on the high end.

DJM626 and NickDomi like this.
    03-22-14 09:34 PM
    I think that's the problem. They have too many models. They are trying to be too many things to too make people. They've lost focus and as a result instead of having two really good models they have 126 mediocre ones.

+100

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 05:24 PM

People keep coming out with this idea, but nobody ever tries to explain why that should be the approach they take with hardware, they just seem to state it like it is a fact when what they really mean is that they would prefer to buy a higher end model.

The reality is that that with their return of their focus onto business users, at this time they have to be offering devices that will appeal to IT depts and that is not going to be the expensive models, it is going to be models that focus on lower costs, offering higher battery life than specs and so on.

Realistically, them offering what would effectively be just another 1080p quadcore all-touch is not going to make people change at this point and at the higher end of the market they need to offer something different enough that people want to change, that leaked device with the large 1:1 screen is just such an attempt to do that and is the most likely route they will take with their next high-end model while also having foxconn producing these lower end models that are actually vital to their continued survival.

As far as them offering too many devices, just wait until the end of the year and I would bet that the q20 will mean they phase out both the q5 and q10 and similarly an updated LTE version of the z3 will probably result in the z10 and z30 being killed off meaning that they will have a much more compact range from then onwards.
    03-24-14 04:24 AM
    People keep coming out with this idea, but nobody ever tries to explain why that should be the approach they take with hardware, they just seem to state it like it is a fact when what they really mean is that they would prefer to buy a higher end model.

The reality is that that with their return of their focus onto business users, at this time they have to be offering devices that will appeal to IT depts and that is not going to be the expensive models, it is going to be models that focus on lower costs, offering higher battery life than specs and so on.

Realistically, them offering what would effectively be just another 1080p quadcore all-touch is not going to make people change at this point and at the higher end of the market they need to offer something different enough that people want to change, that leaked device with the large 1:1 screen is just such an attempt to do that and is the most likely route they will take with their next high-end model while also having foxconn producing these lower end models that are actually vital to their continued survival.

As far as them offering too many devices, just wait until the end of the year and I would bet that the q20 will mean they phase out both the q5 and q10 and similarly an updated LTE version of the z3 will probably result in the z10 and z30 being killed off meaning that they will have a much more compact range from then onwards.
    I'm sorry but that simply isn't the case. I'm not saying I want a high end device. I'm saying businesses want high end devices.

Businesses want devices that are solidly built and reliable. They want devices that have specs that will allow them to be used without frustration and for a decent period of time.

Look at the laptops and computers that businesses buy. They are the low end models. They are the high end models with big hard drives and lots of RAM. That's why business buy from the manufacturers and not from Best Buy.

The same applies for phones. They want devices. If the phone companies issue are low end nobody is going to want to use them.

A perfect example was the BlackBerry World Phone. It wasn't the average consumer buying that. It was companies so that their employees could use the phone anywhere without hassle.

03-24-14 10:31 AM
48 12