Yes. Management and VC's like patents, whether they are useful or not. They negotiate them in bulk with other companies. Patents help for valuation in case of sale or acquisition, even in case of bankruptcy.
    After all, the Canadian government made 4.5B USD by selling the Nortel patents, several years AFTER Nortel was broken in parts and sold to various companies.
    It's the one thing Nokia didn't give Microsoft.... and without them, I'm not sure what Microsoft really bought at this point.
    03-24-16 02:57 PM
    Because patents, whether used or not, ARE an investment. If you own the patent to something obscure, then you can later revisit it if someone makes similar systems and capitalize off of it. Let's say for example you patented something like I dunno, the Ove Glove but......
    The Ove Glove is the first thing that popped into your head? LOL (those things are cool, in all seriousness ...)
    03-24-16 06:05 PM
    So, if I go turn on my Palm III (Palm Pilot) from 1998, that means PalmOS is 'alive'? LOL.
    Depends on how you look at it or feel bout it.
    Subjectively its alive and kicking. Objectively its dead.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 09:34 PM
    What '13 Apple devices run better on the latest OS?
    That actually speaks loudly to the lack of advancement and feature development of BB10 over the last 3 years. But, of course, Nexus 5s have Marshmallow, and they're 2013 phones. I'm sure there are others, and that's not mentioning all of the devices that have Cyanogen available.

It should also be kept in mind that there were more Nexus 5s sold than all BB10 phones combined. So, BB isn't exactly "winning".
    03-24-16 10:08 PM
    But the Nexus series is only 1% of the Android market. Not what I would call a success. Besides, the latest is a Chinese spy phone made by Huawei, a company run by a former Chinese Army general (might still be one).
    Enjoy!
    03-24-16 11:22 PM
    I thought BlackBerry was dead? I keep reading about its demise year after year from all of those "in the know." Hmm..

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    Ya the company was supposed to be split up for parts many times, bankruptcy papers in hand.... Now all the nay sayers focusing their efforts on saying "I meant bb10 is dead.." hehe
    03-25-16 09:52 AM
    Because patents, whether used or not, ARE an investment. If you own the patent to something obscure, then you can later revisit it if someone makes similar systems and capitalize off of it. Let's say for example you patented something like I dunno, the Ove Glove but didn't actually produce a product and then someone else created it and brought it market. Technically, you can sue them for patent infringement because you had that patent. It's shady patent trolling, but that's how the system works. In the end, you license the patent rather than go all patent troll on em though.
    Or instead of sue the company, you can simply sell the the patent at a profit
    03-25-16 10:36 AM
    But the Nexus series is only 1% of the Android market. Not what I would call a success. Besides, the latest is a Chinese spy phone made by Huawei, a company run by a former Chinese Army general (might still be one).
    Enjoy!
    Well to be honest there are a lot of phones that were made in 2013 that can run lollipop or marshamallow. The manufacturers simply decided that is does their balance sheet no good to upgrade them(sounds familiar right? ). Manufacturers don't want you keeping a phone 5 years anymore. Can't make money if you don't buy a new phone often.
    03-25-16 10:45 AM
    What is surprising is the finger print scanner since every single review of the Priv mentioned it lol

Posted via CB10
    What's surprising is that they even consider fingerprint scanner.
    Can't repeat that enough, sorry for those reading the same for a zillion times.

That's even my twitter sticky ...
    https://twitter.com/superfly_FR/stat...11002466811904

smart548 likes this.
    03-25-16 12:17 PM
    What's surprising is that they even consider fingerprint scanner.
    Can't repeat that enough, sorry for those reading the same for a zillion times.

That's even my twitter sticky ...
    https://twitter.com/superfly_FR/stat...11002466811904

Personally I wouldn't want a finger print scanner on my phone, but since every smart phone user out there thinks that fingerprint scanners are secure they should've added one on the Priv for the heck of it.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-16 01:47 PM
    Well, not secure; convenient.

...which, mildly amusingly, it may not have been, to the same degree, with a scanner as per this patent: No brief "brush"-and-go, but slightly cumbersome rolling motions, requiring two hands (one to hold the device, when scanning a finger on the other), to capture the shape and elasticity (...which varies) of your finger, along with the print. :7
    03-25-16 02:26 PM
    Rather paltry analogy. Are all Android phones "stuck" on an older OS version never to be updated "dead?" Must be. Damn that's a lot of devices that will never see Lollipop, Marshmallow or the upcoming N. BlackBerry 10 seems to be a-ok since '13 devices will at least get two more updates. What '13 Android devices will see "N" this year? What '13 Apple devices run better on the latest OS?

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    Should stick with the same criteria (e.g. "get at least x more updates") for all examples if you are trying to make a point.
    03-25-16 07:16 PM
    So, if I go turn on my Palm III (Palm Pilot) from 1998, that means PalmOS is 'alive'? LOL.
    Palm is coming back they say...
    With android os

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-04-16 08:35 AM
38 12