So, as you can see:

Blackberry Limited patents list (updated weekly)

BlackBerry recently filed a lot of patents that seems to be pointing to some technology that should be used on an electronic device.. Intriguing?
    Bla1ze: do you have something for us?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 02:32 PM
    So, as you can see:

BlackBerry recently filed a lot of patents that seems to be pointing to some technology that should be used on an electronic device.. Intriguing?

Posted via CB10
    Companies file for a lot of patents but the technology never makes it to actual products.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt, TGR1 and howarmat like this.
    03-23-16 02:38 PM
    Companies file for a lot of patents but the technology never makes it to actual products.
    Why concentrate your investments on something you are not gonna use it though?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 02:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    its not really like that. Hell BB have made complete devices that never were released. They have everything from antenna design to fingerprint tech in the latest batch of filings. I wouldnt read anything directly from it.
    03-23-16 02:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    All companies do R&D. Sometimes good results happen but the company changes direction. In other cases some companies encourage engineers to research on the side. Companies file for patents because the patents maybe valuable some day.
    03-23-16 03:39 PM
    I'd say they're starting to get into this internet of things
    03-23-16 03:47 PM
    If you go back and look at the years listed, they have always filed lots and lots of patent request.

How many get approved, and how many are ever applied in actual technology.... that's a different thing. We have seen a number of very cool and what seemed to be innovative patent request.... that never materialized as a product.
    03-23-16 03:59 PM
    BlackBerry is tight on money right now, and patenting costs money. So I'm sure BlackBerry wouldn't be patenting technologies if they weren't gonna implement them into something (not necessarily a device).

Posted via CB10
    smart548 likes this.
    03-23-16 06:07 PM
    So, as you can see:

Posted via CB10

Internet of Things - IoT - BlackBerry IoT Platform

Also keep in mind that a lot of them aren't 'new', just newly approved.
    smart548 likes this.
    03-23-16 06:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because patents, whether used or not, ARE an investment. If you own the patent to something obscure, then you can later revisit it if someone makes similar systems and capitalize off of it. Let's say for example you patented something like I dunno, the Ove Glove but didn't actually produce a product and then someone else created it and brought it market. Technically, you can sue them for patent infringement because you had that patent. It's shady patent trolling, but that's how the system works. In the end, you license the patent rather than go all patent troll on em though.
    smart548 and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-23-16 06:19 PM
    Wow. They patented a pressure sensitive fingerprint scanner!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-23-16 06:34 PM
    Look at the names of people who filed the patents. Are they still with the company?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 06:46 PM
    I thought BlackBerry was dead? I keep reading about its demise year after year from all of those "in the know." Hmm..

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    luc4625 likes this.
    03-23-16 06:54 PM
    What is surprising is the finger print scanner since every single review of the Priv mentioned it lol

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 08:43 PM
    I thought BlackBerry was dead?
    No, it's BB10 that's dead. BB will be around for a while.
    johnny_bravo72, JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    03-23-16 11:52 PM
    No, it's BB10 that's dead. BB will be around for a while.
    That's not confirmed yet!

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    03-24-16 02:12 AM
    That's not confirmed yet!

Posted via CB10
    BB won't ever confirm it. BB want people like you to continue buying BB10 phones for as long as they still have inventory to sell.
    03-24-16 02:56 AM
    BB won't ever confirm it. BB want people like you to continue buying BB10 phones for as long as they still have inventory to sell.
    Common sense
    03-24-16 03:03 AM
    That'll be a loss for their business because I'm gonna ditch BB10 if they don't show any commitment towards it. I mean the s7 is the most comfortable phone I've ever held and it's really tempting..

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 03:15 AM
    BBOS still out there but nobody will call it alive. But I guess some crackberry fans still overlook that.
    03-24-16 04:39 AM
    Look at the names of people who filed the patents. Are they still with the company?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I noticed that one, too!
    03-24-16 05:54 AM
    Because patents, whether used or not, ARE an investment. If you own the patent to something obscure, then you can later revisit it if someone makes similar systems and capitalize off of it. Let's say for example you patented something like I dunno, the Ove Glove but didn't actually produce a product and then someone else created it and brought it market. Technically, you can sue them for patent infringement because you had that patent. It's shady patent trolling, but that's how the system works. In the end, you license the patent rather than go all patent troll on em though.
    Yes. Management and VC's like patents, whether they are useful or not. They negotiate them in bulk with other companies. Patents help for valuation in case of sale or acquisition, even in case of bankruptcy.
    After all, the Canadian government made 4.5B USD by selling the Nortel patents, several years AFTER Nortel was broken in parts and sold to various companies.
    03-24-16 06:01 AM
    BBOS still out there but nobody will call it alive. But I guess some crackberry fans still overlook that.
    As long as it's still used and it works, it's 'alive' in my book.
    03-24-16 06:13 AM
    As long as it's still used and it works, it's 'alive' in my book.
    So, if I go turn on my Palm III (Palm Pilot) from 1998, that means PalmOS is 'alive'? LOL.
    Ronindan likes this.
    03-24-16 09:23 AM
    So, if I go turn on my Palm III (Palm Pilot) from 1998, that means PalmOS is 'alive'? LOL.
    Rather paltry analogy. Are all Android phones "stuck" on an older OS version never to be updated "dead?" Must be. Damn that's a lot of devices that will never see Lollipop, Marshmallow or the upcoming N. BlackBerry 10 seems to be a-ok since '13 devices will at least get two more updates. What '13 Android devices will see "N" this year? What '13 Apple devices run better on the latest OS?

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    noemi-abril and Notna Nosyel like this.
    03-24-16 10:28 AM
38 12