Could you define "totally psyched" for me? Does it mean you can't sleep nights? Does it mean you think about the 9900 more than sex? The reason I ask is that once upon a time, I was excited to see the Palm Pre--but reality hit me like ice water tossed onto one's back while sunbathing--when I got to hold that little POS "jewel" only to discover I couldn't even read the tiny text (Palm didn't think of making the fonts adjustable), and a whole host of other issues. Then I got excited about the first Android at Verizon. Another MEH.

Fast forward to today and there are lots of "MEH" phones that I've passed on, after seeing them up close and personal. My gadget-buying fun is dashed by the mediocre quality of the current offerings. Now I wonder if the Bionic will be more "MEH". All that leaves is the Galaxy S2... sigh. It's tough to own a phone that one hates and the replacement I need hasn't been made yet. What I WANT is the beautiful screen of the Fascinate, the volume of a BB, and the reliability of the OS like iOS, but with far more features and none of Herr Job's stamp of control over it. I don't want much, do I?
    It's the OS I want on an amazingly sexy looking device. It is fast with a beautiful screen, great speaker, good camera and video recording. It has a touchscreen ans a monster keyboard that should be fantastic for hammering out emails and texts. Every review I've seen has been positive particularly from the forums. I'm totally psyched. Sex and sleep have not been impacted.
    UrbanGlowCam, 01itr and 1812dave like this.
    07-25-11 10:37 PM
    I totally agree with you--QNX is make or break, and OS7 is just an interim OS that won't excite people much (other than the die hard RIM loyalists, who'll take any bone they can get)
    I have to disagree with you here Dave.
    I don't think OS7 is going to be "an interim OS". I think OS7 will be around together with QNX for a few years on entry level BBs.
    Rumor has it there will be only one QNX device in 2012.

I think it's good news for devs to known that OS7 will be around for years not months.
    07-25-11 11:36 PM
    It's the OS I want on an amazingly sexy looking device. It is fast with a beautiful screen, great speaker, good camera and video recording. It has a touchscreen ans a monster keyboard that should be fantastic for hammering out emails and texts. Every review I've seen has been positive particularly from the forums. I'm totally psyched. Sex and sleep have not been impacted.
    ^I always agree with this guy
    grover5 likes this.
    07-26-11 12:01 AM
    Hopefully it'll be something out of the blue and something that was mentioned, that would be a huge comeback from RIM.
    07-26-11 02:19 AM
    Might be more than just one model being announced:

http:///http://blogs.barrons.com/tec...d=yahoobarrons

Would be pretty cool if they come out with guns a-blazin' today.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-11 08:41 AM
    They need some good news to offset the bad news of the layoffs. They really need to get these new phones to market and deliver more functionality to the Playbook ASAP. The appearance of doing nothing (obviously they are doing stuff but it doesn't seem like much) is killing them right now.
    07-26-11 08:57 AM
    Might be more than just one model being announced:

http:///http://blogs.barrons.com/tec...d=yahoobarrons

Would be pretty cool if they come out with guns a-blazin' today.

Your link is defective. Here's a corrected one:

RIM: BlackBerry 7 Models To Be Detailed Today - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    07-26-11 09:02 AM
    thanks for that - it was a rush job off the PB bridge browser - never a good combination.

07-26-11 09:25 AM
    i agree with everyone about the carriers. RIM can announce phones until they are blue in thew face its going going to hold any water without dates. there was thread on here that showed RIMs track record at releasing devices and it kept getting longer and longer, took 200 days+ for the PB after announcement. I think the announcement of these devices is just to shut down the rumor mill once and for all, everyone knows anyway.
    07-26-11 09:45 AM
    even with the announcement of the new devices its not going to solve the main issue on every ones mind... can these new devices that are working OS7 switch over when the QNX OS comes out or will we all have to buy new phones?????
    07-26-11 09:47 AM
    I don't believe release dates for 9900/30 will even get a mention, as RIM have already done that. They've stated 'this summer' and that's their bit done, the rest is down to the carriers.

The title basically says what will happen. OS7 will be showcased, and the full range of the 7 OS7 devices will be officially announced.

So having already announced the 9900/9930 back in May or whenever, they are going to re-announce (or "officially" announce) it today along with the other OS7 phones, but still with no release date?

Makes sense to me.
    07-26-11 10:13 AM
    even with the announcement of the new devices its not going to solve the main issue on every ones mind... can these new devices that are working OS7 switch over when the QNX OS comes out or will we all have to buy new phones?????
    Let me answer that question with another question: when the OS6 phones came out, did everyone with OS4 and OS5 phones have to go buy new ones? I don't think they did ... I still see a LOT of them around, and functioning quite well.

07-26-11 10:19 AM
    Let me answer that question with another question: when the OS6 phones came out, did everyone with OS4 and OS5 phones have to go buy new ones? I don't think they did ... I still see a LOT of them around, and functioning quite well.

True, however the current OS7 phones about to be released are technically a jump in generation.

Reasoning, minimal hardware upgrade increment was planned for release earlier in the year under the name 6.1. They had to scrap that and bring the processor up to 1.2ghz for the flag ship model.

So while older OS don't implode on release of new devices, I would imagine that anyone looking to upgrade is worth waiting for the new devices or at least purchasing the older ones at the respective lowered price.
    07-26-11 10:27 AM
    True, however the current OS7 phones about to be released are technically a jump in generation.

Reasoning, minimal hardware upgrade increment was planned for release earlier in the year under the name 6.1. They had to scrap that and bring the processor up to 1.2ghz for the flag ship model.

So while older OS don't implode on release of new devices, I would imagine that anyone looking to upgrade is worth waiting for the new devices or at least purchasing the older ones at the respective lowered price.
    Understood and agreed on all points. But the question I was responding to was if everybody would have to go buy new phones when the QNX handhelds arrive. My thinking is no, for two reasons: 1, as you noted, OS7 is more than just an incremental upgrade, and I think users will be pretty happy with them for the duration of their contracts, or howver long they want to keep them, without feeling the need to 'upgrade' them to QNX software; and 2, I truly believe that the QNX phones - at least the first one - are going to play to a mostly different audience than the typical BlackBerry fare. To wit - I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 9900 for myself on at&t, but I'm really kind of luke-warm on the 'superphones'.

Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 07-26-11 at 10:42 AM.
    avaio likes this.
    07-26-11 10:39 AM
    OS7 is more than just an incremental upgrade
    Although none of us have used OS7 yet, from what I've seen and know, I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement. It's an improvement, but it's still the same old OS. The real improvement here is the hardware specs -- not the OS.
    psufan32 likes this.
    07-26-11 10:43 AM
    Couldn't agree more. We can't forget that this was initially supposed to be OS6.1, until the upcoming devices got delayed and RIM marketing folks decided to attempt to spike sales by claiming this a major change in the OS. If the icons had remained the same, the average BB user wouldn't be able to differentiate 6.0 from 7.0.
    No, you're both right. Liquid graphics, better performance and a changes that include not having to restart your phone every time you install and uninstall apps is not a huge update.

Actually, these are only one or two tweaks within the coding infrastructure.
    07-26-11 10:55 AM
    lots of good points floating out there. the point i was trying to get across was the release of a new OS so close to another one. the rumor mill is that QNXOS is coming in 2012. the difference between OS 4 to 5 or OS 5 to 6 was more than a year LOL.
    07-26-11 11:31 AM
    Couldn't agree more. We can't forget that this was initially supposed to be OS6.1, until the upcoming devices got delayed and RIM marketing folks decided to attempt to spike sales by claiming this a major change in the OS. If the icons had remained the same, the average BB user wouldn't be able to differentiate 6.0 from 7.0.
    You are right and wrong. The next scheduled update WAS supposed to be 6.1, this is where you are right. However, the update that is coming out now is completely different than what was supposed to come out as 6.1.

Anyone who has used 6.0 will not be able to differentiate between 6.0 and 7.0, mostly because of the liquid graphics and smoothness of the UI.

Before you say "oh no that's because they have better hardware", you can't simply slap 6.0 on a device with a 3.0 ghz processor and 12GB RAM and think its going to run amazingly. The software has been completely redisgned to incorporate the new GPU now present in the upgraded CPU.

Wait until it you use it. You will change your mind
    07-26-11 11:48 AM
    Although none of us have used OS7 yet, from what I've seen and know, I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement. It's an improvement, but it's still the same old OS. The real improvement here is the hardware specs -- not the OS.
    Let me qualify that a bit - OS7 may not be a bonafide overhaul, but it is more than the incremental upgrade that was originally planned. I really think there's more to the name change than just a marketing ploy; i.e., a browser needs more than extra cpu cycles to function quickly and efficiently (referto the Torch 1 vs. Torch 2 browser comparison posted in the T2 forum). I'll also agree that the bigger improvement is in the hardware. But I think that further validates my point that most users who jump on one of these OS7 phones will not be rushing out to grab the first QNX slab phone on the day it's released. Nor do I think they'll be driven to terminal depression when they learn they cannot upgrade the OS to QNX; at least I'm reasonably sure I won't be.

Ed: ah, 01itr beat me to it. Thanx bro.

Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 07-26-11 at 12:01 PM.
    07-26-11 11:58 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD