With the new os update over the horizon,will we be able to download from the Google play store? The same as if we had an android phone? If not pls elaborate what this new os is all about? If anyone knows.thanx

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 02:01 PM
    Im on the same boat as you. Would love to find that information out as well
    artwest50 likes this.
    01-25-14 02:13 PM
    I believe you can still side load apps from Google play. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. But its a legal thing Google has not given permission to blackberry. But what we do have is snap, 1 mobile market droid store( not currently working). They are 3rd party stores That allows you to download android apps directly to your devise like the play store and like blackberry world. No need for side loading. That is what.i have come to understand. If I am wrong someone please correct me. It is pretty cool though, I found all the apps that I use. So no complaints from me.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by silversmith75; 01-26-14 at 01:05 AM.
    dckchan likes this.
    01-25-14 02:14 PM
    Well other than fixes and a couple of features to the usability of the os, it brings direct apk install meaning, you can download an apk from the net and install it like you would on android,

However you can not install Google play store, but there are other markets you can load, such as 1mobile, amazon market, apitode etc...or there is a native app called "snap" that you can sideload for direct access to gplay.

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    Greened and ArtilesGabriel like this.
    01-25-14 02:17 PM
    I believe you can still side load apps from Google play. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    But its a legal thing Google has not given permission to blackberry. But what we do have is snap, 1 mobile market droid store( not currently working).
    They are 3rd party app stores That allows you to download android apps directly to your devise like the play store and like blackberry world. No need for side loading. That is what I have come to understand. If I am wrong someone please correct me. It is pretty cool though, I found all the apps that I use. So no complaints from me.

1mobile market is really easy to install. You go the the mobile site on you devise download app install and away you go. Snap has to be side loaded. But a very good selection of apps

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 02:18 PM
    With the new os update over the horizon,will we be able to download from the Google play store? The same as if we had an android phone? If not pls elaborate what this new os is all about? If anyone knows.thanx

The new OS has all sorts of new features besides the ability to directly install Android APK app files.

There is no indication that BlackBerry will have Google Play directly integrated in this, which is not a big surprise really, for a variety of reasons.

If you want to get a general idea of what 10.2.1 offers, please check the following Crackberry blog posts:

Video walkthrough of the new features in BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 | CrackBerry.com

Talking OS 10.2.1 and Android apps on BB10 FAQ, w/ BlackBerry's Alec Saunders | CrackBerry.com
    pkcable and Knightcrawler like this.
    01-25-14 02:27 PM
    Please what is a BlackBerry runtime for Android? And how do I use it?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 02:28 PM
    What about getting netflix??will that ever be available

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 02:28 PM
    Here's the info on an app you can use to download FREE Google Play apps, works quite well:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...ames+paul+muir
    01-25-14 02:29 PM
    What about getting netflix??will that ever be available

Posted via CB10
    It currently works on the 10.2.1 leak

01-25-14 02:30 PM
    Please what is a BlackBerry runtime for Android? And how do I use it? Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 02:31 PM
    Please what is a BlackBerry runtime for Android? And how do I use it? Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    No need to post it over and over,

But the android runtime on blackberry allows android apps to run on it, on os's older on 10.2.1 you have to convert the apk to barvin order for do so.

But as I said above, on 10.2.1 u can just download an apk and install it just by clicking and following the on screen instructions,

01-25-14 02:34 PM

But the android runtime on blackberry allows android apps to run on it, on os's older on 10.2.1 you have to convert the apk to barvin order for do so.

But as I said above, on 10.2.1 u can just download an apk and install it just by clicking and following the on screen instructions,

Have the 10.2.0 but I have the run time. How do I use it please. Do I need to download stuff.?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 02:37 PM

Yeah, I just answered him in another thread too..
    01-25-14 02:38 PM
    Have the 10.2.0 but I have the run time. How do I use it please. Do I need to download stuff.?

Posted via CB10
    Since you sound new to this, I suggest you wait until the 10.2.1 update is pushed to you, then it will be much easier

01-25-14 02:39 PM
    Yeah, I just answered him in another thread too..
    Wahever

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 02:39 PM
    Since you sound new to this, I suggest you wait until the 10.2.1 update is pushed to you, then it will be much easier

Ok then. But The runtime just appeared itself. I didn't download it, that's why I was curious. Sorry for any inconvenience

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 02:41 PM
    Ok then. But The runtime just appeared itself. I didn't download it, that's why I was curious. Sorry for any inconvenience

Posted via CB10
    It's always been there, you don't have to download, what your talking about is probably the update to the android runtime they pushed to blackberry world to fix some errors.

sumbaba38 likes this.
    01-25-14 02:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    The android runtime is not a separate feature. Rather it's the "ability" to run android apps (ie: apk files).

If you've ever side loaded an app, you've already made use of the Android runtime.

I believe (not 100% sure on this) android ports available in BlackBerry World, like Songza or the Android Central apps, also utilize the android runtime.

Basically, don't worry about using it....it's already being used.

Posted via CB10
    sumbaba38 likes this.
    01-25-14 02:43 PM
    The android runtime is not a separate feature. Rather it's the "ability" to run android apps (ie: apk files).

If you've ever side loaded an app, you've already made use of the Android runtime.

I believe (not 100% sure on this) android ports available in BlackBerry World, like Songza or the Android Central apps, also utilize the android runtime.

Basically, don't worry about using it....it's already being used.

Posted via CB10
    U answered better than me lol +1

01-25-14 02:45 PM

If you are on certain builds of OS 10.2.0, BlackBerry released a patched Android runtime for those builds via BlackBerry World, it installs just like a regular app. (That was actually released around October or November as I recall)

Is that what you are referring to?
    sumbaba38 likes this.
    01-25-14 02:46 PM
    It means you can get something similar to Google play (search on Google for "1mobile") and you can install android apps directly.

There is a method developed by someone on crack berry, called "snap" It's an app that let's you access Google play itself..

The new OS simply allows you to download APKs (android app files) and install it as you would on an android phone. Amazon android store and 1mobile are excellent places to get reliable apk files. No 100% guarantee they all work tho but all of mine now currently works beautifully

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 02:57 PM
    There are some changes in how your operating system works with the new release. You will have more features, and your phone run smoother and faster.

The Android deal everyone is excited about is because it will become easier to run free android apps. I still haven't found a way to run android apps that cost, and I also can't seem to make in app purchase, such as buying things inside games.

With the early BB OS if I wanted to use an android app, I needed to go find a .bar file for an android app, download it onto my computer, install a sideloading type of app onto my computer and then use that to load the .bar file onto my phone, then finally go find the .bar file in my download file and click it to install it. And even then it was sketchy at best. Sometimes they worked great and sometimes they didn't.

With the new OS 10.2.1. there are less steps and more android apps available. The steps now are to install an android store site, something like Snap (it is well worth taking the time to figure out how to sideload this), Download Manager, Apps for Android in BB world, or Amazon Appstore, then click on this installed app to open it and find the android app you want, click to download any free app, and it will generally install directly to your BB including it's own icon already on screen in your first available blank space for an icon.

As you can see, considerably less steps, and things like Netflix and snap chat are available using this shorter method. Keep in mind this only works for free apps, you need to check permissions you are granting carefully. Sorry for the long answer, but hopefully this answers your questions.
    shakingthrough and sumbaba38 like this.
    01-25-14 03:18 PM
    Google is never going to permit Google Play on to BB10. Never in a million gazillion years. No matter how Crackberry users tries to rationalize it, the decision will never make sense for Google.

Let's stop pumping false hope and bringing about subsequent disappointment. I mean Crackberry has fallen for the old photoshop hoax too many times: at least twice with native Instagram and once with Google Play. For individuals who claim to be smarter than Android and iOS users, it's time to act the part and wizen up.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-25-14 09:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Like others have said above, technically yes. You will be able to download from Google play store. However, you won't have a Google play store front app like you do on Android. Instead you can download from Google play via apps like Snap. Or you can directly download from the play store by finding the app you want on the play store in your browser. Copying the play store link for that app and using one of the apk downloader sites to obtain the apk.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 09:43 PM
63 123