Thought this was interesting. Although it's not really surprising but worth a short read and discussion. Seems people are starting to wake up a bit.

mobile burn
    Please note that this story is based upon rumor and/or speculation.
    Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.

According to Bloomberg, RIM will be enabling BlackBerry smartphones that run its new QNX-based operating system to run Android apps, much in the way the QNX-based BlackBerry PlayBook tablet is scheduled to do.

Bloomberg's anonymous sources say the Android app player that is being developed for the PlayBook is the same one that will be available for the new BlackBerry smartphones, though it will be adapted to the smaller screen size of the smartphone displays. Supposedly, RIM will have the Android app compatibility ready for when the new smartphones launch early next year. The recently-announced BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930, Torch 9810, Torch 9850/9860, and Curve 9350/9360/9370 BlackBerry 7 OS smartphones will not be upgradeable to the next-generation QNX operating system, and therefore will not have access to Android apps.

Additionally, the sources claim that the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will get the long-awaited native email and PIM functionality in September, with its own Android app player coming by the end of the year.

Compatibility with Android apps would plug a gaping hole in RIM's BlackBerry ecosystem, as the current selection of apps in the BlackBerry App World is pretty abysmal. It is unknown, however, how distribution of Android apps on the BlackBerry devices will be handled, and it is assumed that only RIM-approved apps will work. Either way, it won't hurt the PlayBook or the new BlackBerry smartphones to be able to run more apps

Bloomberg
    RIM will add access to Android apps on BlackBerry phones that run its new QNX operating system, Bloomberg reports.

New BlackBerry phones will switch to QNX by Q1 2012, by most reports. The current BlackBerry 7 phones will not be able to upgrade to QNX.

The BlackBerry PlayBook already runs on QNX.

RIM said the PlayBook would get Android apps this summer, but that is looking less likely.

In order for QNX devices to run android apps, they need a separate "Android player." The Android Player will come pre-installed on QNX BlackBerry phones.

Google's Android Market has about 250,000 apps, which Bloomberg says is six times as many in RIM's BlackBerry App World.

Android is the most popular mobile OS on the planet right now, and adding support for its apps will likely add to BlackBerry's appeal.

BlackBerry would not comment to Bloomberg, but we're reaching out anyway.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/black...#ixzz1VxcZ82EJ
    Last edited by TheMimic; 08-24-11 at 10:32 AM.
    08-24-11 10:28 AM
    And the second line of the bloomberg quote:

New BlackBerry phones will switch to QNX by Q1 2012, by most reports. The current BlackBerry 7 phones will not be able to upgrade to QNX.

Is going to **** off BB loyalists even further.......

RIM just can't get it right............
    08-24-11 11:29 AM
    And the second line of the bloomberg quote:

Is going to **** off BB loyalists even further.......

RIM just can't get it right............
    I don't really think it will **** off the loyalists. The loyalists usually run out and buy whatever RIM puts on the shelves right away anyways. This could however **** off someone who is looking for a nice 2 year upgrade path to newer and better software.
    08-24-11 11:32 AM
    I don't think so. I'm up for an upgrade and i'm ready to purchase a 9900 knowing full well QNX is around the 6-12 months corner. Rumours are first device is all touch and I can't stand any all touch device so...
    08-24-11 11:50 AM
    All the folks who bought a 99xx series are gonna be like wtf???? I want a cheap upgrade or I want my money back......CB will be flooded with threads like that.......
    08-24-11 12:16 PM
    All the folks who bought a 99xx series are gonna be like wtf???? I want a cheap upgrade or I want my money back......CB will be flooded with threads like that.......
    I don't see those posts from people who bought a 9800 last year and now can't upgrade to OS 7. Admittedly, it will be a bigger jump from OS 7 to QNX, but the principle is the same. A lot of us get yearly upgrades. Some can afford to buy yearly off contract. For those people, it will be no problem. Those that have longer upgrade cycles know or should know that they are locking themselves into a device for an extended period and will miss out on next year's latest and greatest.
    08-24-11 01:17 PM
    I don't see those posts from people who bought a 9800 last year and now can't upgrade to OS 7. Admittedly, it will be a bigger jump from OS 7 to QNX, but the principle is the same. A lot of us get yearly upgrades. Some can afford to buy yearly off contract. For those people, it will be no problem. Those that have longer upgrade cycles know or should know that they are locking themselves into a device for an extended period and will miss out on next year's latest and greatest.
    This is true for all platforms all the time though. I don't see QNX making it worse
    08-24-11 01:25 PM
    This is true for all platforms all the time though. I don't see QNX making it worse

Not ALL platforms and I will refrain from using the "I" word as I know it will start a bunch of cra*
    08-24-11 01:27 PM
    Not ALL platforms and I will refrain from using the "I" word as I know it will start a bunch of cra*
    It's like people who lease cars that they know are getting redesigned next year. Some will wait, some will just get the last model at a better rate. In the end, everyone wants the latest thing but ppl are putting way too much emphasis on QNX making BB7 obsolete.
    08-24-11 02:45 PM
    I wouldn't be (4 stars here) at all.

I know what I am buying as a BB Loyalist. and i know it is what I want. Not QNX.
    08-24-11 02:47 PM
    I wouldn't be (4 stars here) at all.

I know what I am buying as a BB Loyalist. and i know it is what I want. Not QNX.
    be_bold likes this.
    08-24-11 02:49 PM
    RIM will still continue to support their OS7 and OS6 devices through the usual product life like they have always done. If they were to suddenly stop supporting older devices, they would lose a lot of corporate and government support.
    08-24-11 09:22 PM
    I don't know that I can truly be considered a BB loyalist (I'd switch to something else if there was something else better). Buuuutttt
    I do think it's kinda screwed up that RIM is releasing the OS7 devices and could be releasing QNX ones within 6 months. I also think it's REALLY screwed up that they barely released the 9780 and it's not gonna get OS7 (this is why I don't have a 9780 or a OS7 BB). But it shouldn't be unexpected that this is happening. RIM let their hardware specs get way behind, and so as a result some devices will become outdated VERY quickly.
    That being said, no one knows what will happen. Although I do want a QNX device, I don't want one that is touch only. So if no keyboarded QNX devices come out, I wouldn't want QNX.
    08-24-11 09:51 PM
    RIM alteast care about older versions unlike other vendors, I have seen an update for Bold 9000-OS 5 last month. RIM will continue to support the OS 6 and OS 7 devices even after QNX roll out
    08-25-11 01:35 AM
    Why in the **** would I want android apps on my phone? If mobihand and appworld can't get you everything you need then go see a therapist or buy an android. Wtf

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-11 03:21 AM
    I bought the 9930 because there was NOTHING else in the market that I wanted or liked.

Horizontal slide out keyboard. I am right handed and I have not seen 1 phone that slides out easy for someone who holds the phone in their right hand.

The motorola XPRT is nice but I hate android. I used it for 2 months and hated every minute of it. Haha the screen doesn't even rotate, at least as far as I could tell.

I could not and did not want to wait for QNX.

I love the keyboard too much. I can't believe I didn't get a BB Keyboard sooner to be honest.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 08-25-11 at 10:54 AM.
    08-25-11 07:42 AM
    Why in the **** would I want android apps on my phone? If mobihand and appworld can't get you everything you need then go see a therapist or buy an android. Wtf

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    yes, options are typically a very terrible thing, luckily most people don't care about a large app selection, it's clearly just a fad.
    08-25-11 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD