New Malware Attacks iOS and BlackBerry Backups Stored On Computers - The Merkle

Malware will always remain a major threat to the mobile ecosystem as we know it. A newly discovered type of malware targets iOS and BlackBerry backups, or to be more precise; it will target computers hosting a backup of mobile devices. In most cases, these backups do not contain the latest security updates, making them vulnerable to exploiting.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-08-15 04:02 AM
    Read the article, user of IOS 9.1 are relatively safe from the attack and most everyone I know who uses IOS has the latest update.
    12-08-15 04:25 AM
    Just found it interesting as an approach against BlackBerry. I Am still looking for a confirmation which BlackBerry backups are affected

12-08-15 04:38 AM
    As poorly written as the linked article is, we'll have to wait for a more detailed story from another source to really determine what the potential risks are.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-15 06:09 AM
    Hmm...I was pretty sure blackberry backups were encrypted.

Posted via CB10
    bbaleno likes this.
    12-08-15 06:14 AM
    New Malware Attacks iOS and BlackBerry Backups Stored On Computers - The Merkle

Malware will always remain a major threat to the mobile ecosystem as we know it. A newly discovered type of malware targets iOS and BlackBerry backups, or to be more precise; it will target computers hosting a backup of mobile devices. In most cases, these backups do not contain the latest security updates, making them vulnerable to exploiting.

Must only impacts BBOS backups? Leave it to bad reporting to leave that out
    BB10 backups are encrypted by default (you can try opening one if you want, contains 3 tars which are encrypted
    And I have no idea how BB plans on doing backup restore on the Priv lol
    12-08-15 06:24 AM
    Must only impacts BBOS backups? Leave it to bad reporting to leave that out
    BB10 backups are encrypted by default (you can try opening one if you want, contains 3 tars which are encrypted
    And I have no idea how BB plans on doing backup restore on the Priv lol
    BB10 backups are sha encrypted. BBOS would only be encrypted with the phone password if one was ever used. So I have assumed. One can always try every possible password to open BBOS files much like what they did to encrypted SD cards a while back. Just brute force. But this virus doesn't do any brute force. So it means. It can only read BBOS files that were never encrypted to begin with

Posted via CB10
    12-08-15 07:39 AM