On the word of a couple of analysts.

RIM to discontinue Wi-Fi BlackBerry PlayBook?
    In a note to investors Monday afternoon, RBC Capital Markets Managing Director Mike Abramsky reiterated an OTR Global report that Research In Motion is possibly planning to stop production of the BlackBerry PlayBook’s Wi-Fi model. The Wi-Fi version of RIM’s tablet is the only version Research In Motion currently manufacturers. The reasons for the discontinuation of the Wi-Fi edition, Abramsky states, could be related to a pullback in production, a move that would align channel inventory with slower than expected sell-through, in addition to RIM focusing on upcoming cellularly-connected PlayBook versions.
    Last edited by Michelle Haag; 07-18-11 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Removed link to BGR, added text from article instead
    07-18-11 01:31 PM
    Other sources are reporting this as well..not just BGR
    K Bear likes this.
    07-18-11 01:33 PM
    it's the wifi only model thats being discontinued (as reported)

this might mean that 3g/4g is coming, but who knows at this point..the picture is priceless tho on the bgr article lol
    07-18-11 01:34 PM
    "possibly" planning......
    07-18-11 01:34 PM
    This is a bit sad...though it did say that they'll focus on 3G/4G versions so that's good. They're not really pulling the plug on the PlayBook completely.
    07-18-11 01:39 PM
    The writing was on the wall and it was only a matter of time.
    07-18-11 01:42 PM
    Who cares if they discontinue the wi-fi model????
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    07-18-11 01:43 PM
    I find it hard to believe that a more expensive model with cellular connections will sell better than a low-end Wifi version.

If they're having trouble moving Wifi Playbooks, they're in for a surprise if they stick exclusively to 3G/4G models.

Apple probably sells 2 Wifi iPads for every 3G iPad.

It's all about pricing. If RIM can get the 3G Playbook to $500, then they should sell the Wifi version for $400.
    07-18-11 01:47 PM
    Read the article.

The Wi-Fi version of RIM�s tablet is the only version Research In Motion currently manufacturers.
    07-18-11 01:48 PM
    The average consumer who doesn't care to have a blackberry plan. I can see even less interest for 3G 4G model.
    Last edited by JD914; 07-18-11 at 01:56 PM.
    blackmoe likes this.
    07-18-11 01:48 PM
    Read the article.
    Currently sounds like the keyword

Originally Posted by The Article
    The Wi-Fi version of RIM�s tablet is the only version Research In Motion currently manufacturers.
    07-18-11 01:49 PM
    He's till taking shots at Zach who posted its the best tablet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 01:51 PM
    Currently sounds like the keyword

Originally Posted by The Article
    The Wi-Fi version of RIM’s tablet is the only version Research In Motion currently manufacturers.
    I never said any differently, I merely pointed out what could be the reason that people would be concerned that they may be planning to discontinue the only model they are currently making.

Did I make my point more clear now?
    07-18-11 01:53 PM
    That's it for me if there is no wifi model that is complete I will not be purchasing a playbook and will get something else that is wifi.
    07-18-11 01:56 PM
    I never said any differently, I merely pointed out what could be the reason that people would be concerned that they may be planning to discontinue the only model they are currently making.

Did I make my point more clear now?
    Not really, this happens all the time.
    grover5 and Blacklatino like this.
    07-18-11 01:58 PM
    I care, I was going to buy one if/when RIM completed the dang thing. I don't want or need to pay for another data plan. I'm seriously thinking my next phone is going to be something different also as RIM has no interest in making something for the average consumer.
    07-18-11 02:00 PM
    Maybe others do. So should we not care what you think?
    07-18-11 02:06 PM
    it's the wifi only model thats being discontinued (as reported)

this might mean that 3g/4g is coming, but who knows at this point..the picture is priceless tho on the bgr article lol
    If they can't sell the cheaper wifi only model then any hope of selling a more expensive 3/4g model that requires a data plan is doomed.

Also does this mean any hope of an update to fix the wifi connectivity issues that many are having is also dashed?
    07-18-11 02:09 PM
    Maybe others do. So should we not care what you think?
    If they can't sell the cheaper wifi only model then any hope of selling a more expensive 3/4g model that requires a data plan is doomed.

Also does this mean any hope of an update to fix the wifi connectivity issues that many are having is also dashed?
    Wifi PB may be discontinued, but Multi-quote is not!
    07-18-11 02:14 PM
    Not really, this happens all the time.
    You're right, I'm sorry I wasted your time with my personal opinion. I forgot that forums weren't for that.
    Jake-44 likes this.
    07-18-11 02:14 PM
    Maybe those of us who bought a WiFi only model and that think that a 3G/4G model is a waste in an era of tethering, the Bridge, and WiFi Hotspots on phones. Again this is BGR so who knows. He probably got the thing from the OTR Group or read it on Crackberry and is calling it his news.
    scorpiodsu, raremage and lunatyck like this.
    07-18-11 02:17 PM
    The problem with the BGR article was the original title, which didn't have "Wi-Fi" in it, making it sound as if the PlayBook was being discontinued completely, including any upcoming cellular models. He got called on it in the comments and ended up changing the title.

See original title in attachment.

I'm a little concerned about RIM's plans for the Wi-Fi PlayBook though. I'm wondering if they couldn't find a way to release native e-mail on it without pissing off the carriers and decided to drop it in and stick to cellular versions to keep them happy. There's a chance the WiFi models will never see native e-mail.
    anon(823957) likes this.
    You're right, I'm sorry I wasted your time with my personal opinion. I forgot that forums weren't for that.
    How is telling someone to "read the article" an opinion post???
    Wifi PB may be discontinued, but Multi-quote is not!
    And your point is?
    07-18-11 02:21 PM
    I don't see this happening at all, sorry. WiFi is what consumers want. Explain why you can find the 3g iPad allover the place but no one can get their hands on the WiFi version. The Wifi is selling better then 3g as wifi / tethering is the best option. If Rim were to kill the wifi then sorry to say but they would really have their heads in the sand.

"possibly planning to stop production" does not mean kill, simply not overstock. I work in IT in Manufacturing and protection lines are stopped all the time to prevent overstocking or market flooding. Over stocking is expensive and market flooding is even worse.

The quote is also very poor as no one in manufacturing ever inter twines production stop and discontinued as they are very different terms, yet the quote seems to use them interchangeably with no regard to the correct meaning.

However, if you read "pullback in production, a move that would align channel inventory with slower than expected sell-through" this points to the person talking about a production stop. To me, this is a case where someone who has no clue went off script and someone ran the Discontinued flag up the pole with out stopping to carefully digest the entire statement.
    Last edited by pinkert11; 07-18-11 at 02:39 PM.
    07-18-11 02:31 PM
137 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD