A new low for BGR is passing thing, but this just might qualify. Be assured there are lower depths ahead for BGR's spelunkers. I am not the only one in the Crackberry community who has repeatedly posted about the corruption in tech blogging and tech publishing world, and this is just the latest shining example. This is a fine illustration of the intersection of corrupt financial experts and corrupt blogging. You start with a purposefully vague and misleading statement from a sector expert, which is leaked to a willing shill-blogger, who in turn makes aggressively disingenuous assumptions from the false premise platform and off we go!

When others point this out, and the dubiousness of the proponents of the "story", others counter by picking up on posts on other blogs as independent "confirmation" of the original story, blithely skipping past the essential fact that the confirming posts are merely quoting the original falsehood. The echo-chamber effect is a well-used tactic in political circles and is easily adapted for this sort of commercial espionage. The secondary sources are just repeating the rumor without any attempt to verify, quoting sometimes directly, but quickly enough through several layers of either lazy or corrupt (or both) cross-posting. As entertaining as the new media can be, it lacks even the pretense of journalistic standards, but then such quaint ideals seemed honored more in the breech than in practice these days (as recent news demonstrates). As bad as the mainstreaam media and traditional news outlets have become, it would still be a shameful admission of failure to publish one story touting a negative screaming headline and then publish a second story "confirming" that the first story was, in fact, false or misleading. But BGR is beyond such things as shame. No one holds them to account. Even the site owners here tolerate and make excuses for this kind of shabby behavior, even as they are careful to avoid it in their own posts.

Funny, I don't remember any corruption when RIM was on top. Or any corruption when BGR actually gave okay reviews to the Blackberry Storm when it came out. Yes, if you don't remember, go back and read the BGR review of the storm...

Remember, the saying around here is, if anything is negative, it's biased reporting. If it's positive, it's fair.
    psufan32 and howarmat like this.
    07-19-11 06:58 AM
    BGR is like one of the tabloid trash rags you see at the supermarket check-out counter.
    A lot of catchy headlines with compost filler.

There are some sites I just avoid. BGR is one of those sites. Not for any preconceived notions of RIM bashing, or bias, but more of a style clash. I have not minced words of my dislike for the fellow. It is just the way it is. Some people like the guy, others do not. What can you do? It is a war that won't end. I feel like too much attention is paid to this individual, and his site, here on the forums. Thankfully, none of this has spilled over to the front page where I frequent as of late. None of this is really productive at this juncture. We should all agree to disagree on this BGR point and move on. Of course, that won't happen. Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 07-19-11 at 08:12 AM.
    Crackberrykills likes this.
    07-19-11 07:35 AM
    Funny, I don't remember any corruption when RIM was on top. Or any corruption when BGR actually gave okay reviews to the Blackberry Storm when it came out. Yes, if you don't remember, go back and read the BGR review of the storm...

Remember, the saying around here is, if anything is negative, it's biased reporting. If it's positive, it's fair.
    No no no. You've got it all wrong. Negative statements about RIM are biased reporting; negative statements about other manufacturers are merely an indication of the "isheep" and "fandroid" inability to convert the same bloggers/reviewers that Apple, Google and its Android partners have failed to pay. Similarly, positive reporting about RIM is completely fair (and warranted), while anything positive about those other companies is further proof of their obvious bias, bias that has grown as iOS and Android share has ballooned. It's all very obvious.

Now excuse me. I need to alert my bodyguards that I'll be crossing our corporate campus. You never know when those code monkeys will rise up and revolt.
    Last edited by Economist101; 07-19-11 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo
    psufan32 likes this.
    07-19-11 09:02 AM
    If I were to get a PlayBook; it would be wifi only.

Why do I need a 3g/4g device when I have a BlackBerry?
    07-19-11 09:14 AM
    And there you have it - they gave an okay review to the storm. Does that not definitively prove they are clowns?

You came to a blackberry fan site and are unclear why its biased towards BB's? Would you also be confused if you went to a Ford forum and saw nothing but Ford fan-boy-hood?
    lnichols and Jake2826 like this.
    07-19-11 09:15 AM

I'm not getting these defenses of BGR's methods -- do sporadic RIM positive stories excuse or ameliorate BGR's steady stream of anti-RIM, pro-Apple bias? Is there any excuse for BGR's not trying to verify the rumor and holding it until they do? Or were they facing a type-setting deadline.

And Crackberry really isn't built around trashing other manufacturer's products. Of course Droids and Iphones and all the rest are compared to Berries and often found wanting in the forums, but the Crackberry owners don't use the site to trash and tar other brands.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-19-11 09:26 AM
    And there you have it - they gave an okay review to the storm. Does that not definitively prove they are clowns?

You came to a blackberry fan site and are unclear why its biased towards BB's? Would you also be confused if you went to a Ford forum and saw nothing but Ford fan-boy-hood?
    First, I did not come here..I've been here..I've been a blackberry user since 2006, and here since 2009. How about you?

Of course this website is biased towards blackberries. I'm not stupid. I get it, people are gonna cheer for blackberries on a blackberry fan site. However, what I don't get is the overwhelming thickheadedness of some of the people on here. BGR is reporting rumors? WHAT? WHY? I thought only facts were reported on the internet? better check wikipedia.

You don't agree with those rumors? Fine, don't read it. Guess what? BGR publishes rumors. No one was complaining when they were posting leaks about the Bold 9650, or 9630. I hate to say it, but BGR's rumors aren't the reason RIM's stock is in the basement. (part of the reason? maybe)

The Blackberry Storm example I mentioned wasn't to show how clueless they were, it was to show the BGR had the perfect oppurtunity to completely destroy RIM for releasing in my opinion the worst technological device of the decade. But they didn't. They even praised RIM, and talked about how much they liked the company.
    john_v likes this.
    07-19-11 09:31 AM
    I'm not getting these defenses of BGR's methods -- do sporadic RIM positive stories excuse or ameliorate BGR's steady stream of anti-RIM, pro-Apple bias? Is there any excuse for BGR's not trying to verify the rumor and holding it until they do? Or were they facing a type-setting deadline.

And Crackberry really isn't built around trashing other manufacturer's products. Of course Droids and Iphones and all the rest are compared to Berries and often found wanting in the forums, but the Crackberry owners don't use the site to trash and tar other brands.

This rumor was referencing RBC Capital Markets, a different news source. My question to you is, how is your blame going on BGR?
    07-19-11 09:35 AM
    First, I did not come here..I've been here..I've been a blackberry user since 2006, and here since 2009. How about you?
    Been using BB's since the days of the royal blue hockey puck form factor with monochrome screen. I just joined this web site a few months back - whats your point?

Of course this website is biased towards blackberries. I'm not stupid. I get it, people are gonna cheer for blackberries on a blackberry fan site. However, what I don't get is the overwhelming thickheadedness of some of the people on here. BGR is reporting rumors? WHAT? WHY? I thought only facts were reported on the internet? better check wikipedia.
    People make a mockery out of BGR because at one point they posted credible information without the normal band-wagon slack jawed rumor millage.

You don't agree with those rumors? Fine, don't read it. Guess what? BGR publishes rumors. No one was complaining when they were posting leaks about the Bold 9650, or 9630. I hate to say it, but BGR's rumors aren't the reason RIM's stock is in the basement. (part of the reason? maybe)
    Kind of hard to agree and disagree with rumors since they are rumors. You can disagree with them - but they doesnt indicate anything since they may or may not be true.

The Blackberry Storm example I mentioned wasn't to show how clueless they were, it was to show the BGR had the perfect oppurtunity to completely destroy RIM for releasing in my opinion the worst technological device of the decade. But they didn't. They even praised RIM, and talked about how much they liked the company.
    And the fact that they did give it a good review shows they have no f'ing idea what they are talking about. And "completely destroy RIM " ? A half baked blog destroy a company that actually produces something? Unlike that blog? Doubt it. Thats like saying the national enquirer would destroy the career of a celebrity.
    07-19-11 09:44 AM

How are you trying to compare CrackBerry & BGR? CrackBerry is by definition all about BlackBerry's and does not review other devices; Apple, Android, Windows, Palm, etc etc. BGR on the other hand review and discuss a wide range of devices & platforms. They're not affiliated with a single brand so trying to compare them as if they're the same is wrong. CrackBerry "isn't built around" discussing other manufacturers products period.

You say that BGR is "anti-RIM". Please show me. I would like to see examples. Keeping in mind that any honest person knows there's been no good news for/from RIM in quite a while. Stock prices are down, sales are strong, no new devices since the Torch last year.

BGR isn't anti-RIM, it was BGR who saw the Writing On The Wall back in summer of 2009 and pleaded with RIM to change it's ways. But they did not. Anti RIM story there eh? Far from it. The bottom line is there hasn't been any good news coming out of Waterloo aside from some key acquisitions in some time. Just because it's not good news and it's the truth doesn't mean it's anti RIM or biased.
    07-19-11 09:49 AM
    Sorry, guess I need to further explain myself..

"You don't agree with those rumors?"
    meant, you don't want to read those rumors?

"completely destroy RIM"
    mean, completely destroy RIM in their review. I didn't literally think BGR was going to go to Waterloo and bazooka them.
    07-19-11 09:51 AM
    How are you trying to compare CrackBerry & BGR? CrackBerry is by definition all about BlackBerry's and does not review other devices; Apple, Android, Windows, Palm, etc etc. BGR on the other hand review and discuss a wide range of devices & platforms. They're not affiliated with a single brand so trying to compare them as if they're the same is wrong. CrackBerry "isn't built around" discussing other manufacturers products period.

You say that BGR is "anti-RIM". Please show me. I would like to see examples. Keeping in mind that any honest person knows there's been no good news for/from RIM in quite a while. Stock prices are down, sales are strong, no new devices since the Torch last year.

BGR isn't anti-RIM, it was BGR who saw the Writing On The Wall back in summer of 2009 and pleaded with RIM to change it's ways. But they did not. Anti RIM story there eh? Far from it. The bottom line is there hasn't been any good news coming out of Waterloo aside from some key acquisitions in some time. Just because it's not good news and it's the truth doesn't mean it's anti RIM or biased.
    CX, thank you.
    07-19-11 09:55 AM
    Just because one is a fan is no reason to leave your IQ at the door.
    Last edited by blackmoe; 07-19-11 at 10:04 AM.
    psufan32 and brucep1 like this.
    07-19-11 10:01 AM
    Sorry, guess I need to further explain myself..

"completely destroy RIM"
    mean, completely destroy RIM in their review. I didn't literally think BGR was going to go to Waterloo and bazooka them.
    Thanks. I LOL'd.
    07-19-11 10:20 AM
    Just because one is a fan is no reason to leave your IQ at the door.
    Being stupid is not analogous to being a fan boy.
    07-19-11 10:21 AM
    Being stupid is not analogous to being a fan boy.
    No but some fans do act stupid in defense of their pet whatever.
    07-19-11 10:23 AM

Starting a rumor about RIM discontinuing the PB when RIM came right out and called it hogwash isnt anti-RIM? I guess with friends like that - who needs enemies.

And what do you mean no good news? The PB released 3 months ago - good news. 7 new models coming out - also good news. OS 6 with OS 7 to follow with QNX to follow next year - certainly not bad news.

And stock prices falling are not indicative of anything since the stock market can be manipulated like anything else. Only on wall street will a companies value not be related to its assets and liabilities. Complete garbage.
    07-19-11 10:27 AM
    No but some fans do act stupid in defense of their pet whatever.
    As do the trolls...
    07-19-11 10:28 AM
    Not sure there is anything as low as Geller at BGR

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 10:29 AM
    Not sure there is anything as low as Geller at BGR

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    what did he do? he posted a story that was repeating what another site created? CB does that every single day...CB is as low as geller by your standards?
    07-19-11 10:36 AM
    Starting a rumor about RIM discontinuing the PB when RIM came right out and called it hogwash isnt anti-RIM? I guess with friends like that - who needs enemies.

And what do you mean no good news? The PB released 3 months ago - good news. 7 new models coming out - also good news. OS 6 with OS 7 to follow with QNX to follow next year - certainly not bad news.

And stock prices falling are not indicative of anything since the stock market can be manipulated like anything else. Only on wall street will a companies value not be related to its assets and liabilities. Complete garbage.
    Please before you post get your facts straight. BGR sourced RBC Capital. RBC Capital sourced OTR Global.

"In a note to investors Monday afternoon, RBC Capital Markets Managing Director Mike Abramsky reiterated an OTR Global report that Research In Motion is possibly planning to stop production of the current Wi-Fi BlackBerry PlayBook model."

BGR didn't make this up, they got it from a news feed. As did many other websites. Yet they're not to blame. Only BGR. Makes perfect sense huh?
    psufan32 likes this.
    07-19-11 10:38 AM
    Please before you post get your facts straight. BGR sourced RBC Capital. RBC Capital sourced OTR Global.

"In a note to investors Monday afternoon, RBC Capital Markets Managing Director Mike Abramsky reiterated an OTR Global report that Research In Motion is possibly planning to stop production of the current Wi-Fi BlackBerry PlayBook model."

BGR didn't make this up, they got it from a news feed. As did many other websites. Yet they're not to blame. Only BGR. Makes perfect sense huh?
    OK - perpetuating a rumor - sound more correct? Maybe they should verify their sources instead of jumping on every negative story like flies on crap. Makes perfect sense huh?

EDIT: ROFL - third hand info is always the best kind of info. LOL!
    Jake2826 likes this.
    07-19-11 10:41 AM
    OK - perpetuating a rumor - sound more correct? Maybe they should verify their sources instead of jumping on every negative story like flies on crap. Makes perfect sense huh?

EDIT: ROFL - third hand info is always the best kind of info. LOL!
    What makes perfect sense is how you change your tune to fit your agenda. 5 minutes ago you accused BGR of making up the story with ZERO evidence of your own and ZERO facts of your assertion. Kind of ironic wouldn't you say considering your stance on how you feel BGR should've acted?? Then with evidence to the contrary you change to "perpetuating" the story. Was BGR wrong? Yes, as were many other sites including the source. Yet this happens everyday with other publications and nobody is up in arms. If OTR Global's story was right, it was huge news. Let me end by saying there was a question mark at the end of the posts title.
    07-19-11 10:50 AM
    What makes perfect sense is how you change your tune to fit your agenda. 5 minutes ago you accused BGR of making up the story with ZERO evidence of your own and ZERO facts of your assertion. Kind of ironic wouldn't you say considering your stance on how you feel BGR should've acted?? Then with evidence to the contrary you change to "perpetuating" the story. Was BGR wrong? Yes, as were many other sites including the source. Yet this happens everyday with other publications and nobody is up in arms. If OTR Global's story was right, it was huge news. Let me end by saying there was a question mark at the end of the posts title.
    Agenda? Right - HUGE difference between starting BS rumors and perpetuating them. OMG! I claimed BGR was a bullcrap rumor mill instead of originating them -OH THE HORROR!! I might have been mistaken as to who originated the garbage - but its still garbage.

Still doesnt change the fact they are the national enquirer of the tech world. Laughable at best - pathetic at worst. Right up there with that clown from the WSJ.

And yeah yeah - if they were right. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Edit: And good job trivializing it... do you work for BGR? LOL!

"Was BGR wrong? Yes, as were many other sites including the source. Yet this happens everyday with other publications and nobody is up in arms."
    Last edited by mjs416; 07-19-11 at 11:04 AM.
    07-19-11 11:00 AM
    CX, you're wasting your time and feeding a troll.
    07-19-11 11:11 AM
137 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD