Well, looks like Steve Jobs was right, “The proof of this will be in our competitors pricing, and that’s why we think the current crop of seven-inch tablets will be DOA. Sounds like lots of fun ahead,” noted Jobs.
    07-18-11 06:37 PM
    The science of fanboyism

The science of fanboyism - The Tech Report

This should be required reading at CrackBerry.
    BlackStormRising and vrs626 like this.
    07-18-11 06:47 PM
    Me. enjoy the rest of your summer vacation.
    Right... I hope summer camp isn't stressing you out too much.
    07-18-11 06:55 PM
    500,000 shipped to retail, but how many actually sold to consumers?
    That can't even be close to estimated without next quarters results being broken out to show NA shipments vs other market shipments.

though for RIM THEY sold 500,000 units, it's up to the retail channels to move their inventory
    07-18-11 06:59 PM
    That can't even be close to estimated without next quarters results being broken out to show NA shipments vs other market shipments.

though for RIM THEY sold 500,000 units, it's up to the retail channels to move their inventory
    Thus is the rub. We do not know if the Playbook is even selling well or not. I know from my retail sources that's not. But that's from one retailer out of quite a few in North America. Shipped (meaning sold to retailers) vs. sold (meaning end user) will tell the real tail of wtf is actually the truth here.
    07-18-11 07:06 PM
    500,000 shipped to retail, but how many actually sold to consumers?
    Point was those stats are for North America only, not the rest of the world where it's being launched as we speak, country by country.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 07:07 PM
    Thus is the rub. We do not know if the Playbook is even selling well or not. I know from my retail sources that's not. But that's from one retailer out of quite a few in North America. Shipped (meaning sold to retailers) vs. sold (meaning end user) will tell the real tail of wtf is actually the truth here.

This is where it gets odd, since the retail channel I know says it is above projections, ( they had it projected to sell like other non iPads)

though I'll admit that is only across 15 locations in Ontario, not nation wide.

some chains are just doing a better job than others at selling it, and it seems to be a more regional thing,
    07-18-11 07:30 PM
    Agree. It's called managing the supply chain. Tepid sales + full retail channels=stop production.

This is not big news. Car companies do this all of the time.

Besides Foxconn (maker of Playbook) has to ramp up production for 4G models for fall launch.

Interim, RIM needs to release PB OS with what has been promised to early adopters.

I don't see this happening at all, sorry. WiFi is what consumers want. Explain why you can find the 3g iPad allover the place but no one can get their hands on the WiFi version. The Wifi is selling better then 3g as wifi / tethering is the best option. If Rim were to kill the wifi then sorry to say but they would really have their heads in the sand.

"possibly planning to stop production" does not mean kill, simply not overstock. I work in IT in Manufacturing and protection lines are stopped all the time to prevent overstocking or market flooding. Over stocking is expensive and market flooding is even worse.

The quote is also very poor as no one in manufacturing ever inter twines production stop and discontinued as they are very different terms, yet the quote seems to use them interchangeably with no regard to the correct meaning.

However, if you read "pullback in production, a move that would align channel inventory with slower than expected sell-through" this points to the person talking about a production stop. To me, this is a case where someone who has no clue went off script and someone ran the Discontinued flag up the pole with out stopping to carefully digest the entire statement.
    07-18-11 07:48 PM
    hahahahahahahahahah BGR = Fail

07-18-11 08:05 PM
    Why would this be portrayed as an "all new low for BGR"?? They didn't come up with the story. They only reported what RBC Capital reported.
    Because BGR's initial tweet AND headline on his website said "BlackBerry to discontinue PlayBook" without adding the word "Wi-Fi" in either, making it look like BlackBerry was trashing the whole PlayBook platform. After people started giving him crap for it he changed both to include the Wi-Fi word.

I don't think anyone has a problem with him or any other news outlet reporting the news but don't use false leaders to get people to read your site.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-18-11 08:07 PM
    They are now running with this:

RIM: 'No plan to discontinue' BlackBerry PlayBook
    In response to a report published by BGR earlier today, Research In Motion confirmed that it has no plans to discontinue its Wi-Fi BlackBerry PlayBook tablet in favor of newer models expected to launch this fall. RBC Capital Markets Managing Director Mike Abramsky cited an OTR Global report in a note to investors on Monday that said RIM may be canceling the QNX-based tablet based partially on weak sales. Abramsky speculated that such a move might also allow RIM to focus on the 4G PlayBook and its upcoming next-generation QNX smartphones. �Pure fiction. No plan to discontinue,� RIM said to BGR from its official BlackBerry Twitter account. �In fact, WiFi PlayBook is launching in new countries practically every week.�*RIM stated on its earnings call in mid-June that 500,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets had been shipped in the fiscal first quarter.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 08:11 PM
    Because BGR's initial tweet AND headline on his website said "BlackBerry to discontinue PlayBook" without adding the word "Wi-Fi" in either, making it look like BlackBerry was trashing the whole PlayBook platform. After people started giving him crap for it he changed both to include the Wi-Fi word.

I don't think anyone has a problem with him or any other news outlet reporting the news but don't use false leaders to get people to read your site.
    What other PlayBook is there??? The original(source) information clearly stated the "Wifi PlayBook" (only PlayBook available) so it's not like BGR was lying or trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. It wouldn't have mattered either way as people feel like BGR is trashing RIM at every chance. Surely don't see people clamoring about how BGR reported that they were wrong and posted RIM's reply. I'm not much a fan of BGR, but they report the news and there's no need for all the hate thrown their way.
    07-18-11 08:53 PM
    This should be required reading at CrackBerry.
    As should this...

The Secret Behind Apple's Loyal Customer Base

Fanboys are simply happy customers.
    Why is this a bad thing?
    How do you think "CrackBerry" got its name?

BlackBerry has many, many happy users. Heck, how many people bought a BlackBerry over an iPhone just to feel "important"?

People still like to buy products (brands) that they are proud of.
    JAGWIRE and JAGWIRE like this.
    07-18-11 08:53 PM
    Why would this be portrayed as an "all new low for BGR"?? They didn't come up with the story. They only reported what RBC Capital reported.
    dont try and make sense! i pointed out several posts up even that BGR wasnt the source and it was mentioned on CB about 5 hours before BGR ran the story. People just dont like the truth
    K Bear, vrs626, psufan32 and 2 others like this.
    07-18-11 08:55 PM
    ok RIM ditching the PB wifi would be the most stupidest thing in the world. yes they are not selling due to the fact that its not up to the standards that it should be. but for what the PB is right now its awesome! for all you people buying these rumors your an *****, and i mean that in the nicest way. this site was made for "blackberry users and abusers" not winny people that want to jump ship on a company that has given the world a great device. not for people that want to spread negitive rumors about their products. im not saying that we shouldnt post rumors, rumors are fun and give us something to look forward to. in one post about this topic someone posted that RIM would have a class action lawsuit if they dropped it, and i agree. they wouldnt be standing up to what they promised and they will, eventually, deliver what they promised we just have to be patient. RIMM is going threw some troubles and are trying to change their direction, we as loyal blackberry users just need to stand by them.
    07-18-11 09:04 PM
    dont try and make sense! i pointed out several posts up even that BGR wasnt the source and it was mentioned on CB about 5 hours before BGR ran the story. People just dont like the truth
    I'm inclined to agree. If you look in post 29 there are other links to the story in which the title says nothing about wifi, yet there is nobody up in arms about that. Only if it's BGR. And again, the only PlayBook anyone can currently purchase is the "Wifi enabled PlayBook". Until any other model is available in retail outlets it's the only one that exists.

I'm not trying to be a *****. But it's true. People are trying to give BGR a bad rep because they don't like what they report. Even though it's not only them. If you don't like BGR, don't read it. I definitely don't read or visit sites I don't like. But in my honest opinion, keeping in mind it serves my family and myself well for RIM to succeed, I don't think BGR is "Hating" on RIM. I don't think their stories have been false or slanderous. I think they've been true. Just because you don't like what someone reports or says doesn't mean it's not true..
    vrs626, psufan32 and avt123 like this.
    07-18-11 09:08 PM
    ok RIM ditching the PB wifi would be the most stupidest thing in the world. yes they are not selling due to the fact that its not up to the standards that it should be. but for what the PB is right now its awesome! for all you people buying these rumors your an *****, and i mean that in the nicest way. this site was made for "blackberry users and abusers" not winny people that want to jump ship on a company that has given the world a great device. not for people that want to spread negitive rumors about their products. im not saying that we shouldnt post rumors, rumors are fun and give us something to look forward to. in one post about this topic someone posted that RIM would have a class action lawsuit if they dropped it, and i agree. they wouldnt be standing up to what they promised and they will, eventually, deliver what they promised we just have to be patient. RIMM is going threw some troubles and are trying to change their direction, we as loyal blackberry users just need to stand by them.
    JAG you are absolutely right in much(not all) of what you say. We are here because we love BlackBerry. We want BlackBerry(RIM) to succeed. Without a shadow of a doubt. Regardless of what some may think, I'm totally loyal to RIM(more than you can personally comprehend). But..

Am I to let my son continue down the wrong path because of my undying love & devotion to him? Am I to let him continue to make mistake after mistake and continue down the same path because he is my blood? No. It is my love, devotion, loyalty that allows, no forces me to show him the error of his ways, explain to him his mistakes, and then guide him to a different better path. If I were to completely ignore his errors, act like they don't exist and hope that he understands his mistakes without acknowledging/confronting him, I am doing him the greatest disservice of all. It is only through admitting your defeats & failures while acknowledging them that you can change past indiscretions/mistakes and move forward.

If people keep acting like these things(actions) from RIM are ok, it only perpetuates the cycle. RIM knows this, acknowledges this. But it is time for it's "Loyal Followers" to do the same. The process of fixing this mess has begun. But we can't and shouldn't act as though it didn't happen..
    07-18-11 09:22 PM
    JAG you are absolutely right in much(not all) of what you say. We are here because we love BlackBerry. We want BlackBerry(RIM) to succeed. Without a shadow of a doubt. Regardless of what some may think, I'm totally loyal to RIM(more than you can personally comprehend). But..

Am I to let my son continue down the wrong path because of my undying love & devotion to him? Am I to let him continue to make mistake after mistake and continue down the same path because he is my blood? No. It is my love, devotion, loyalty that allows, no forces me to show him the error of his ways, explain to him his mistakes, and then guide him to a different better path. If I were to completely ignore his errors, act like they don't exist and hope that he understands his mistakes without acknowledging/confronting him, I am doing him the greatest disservice of all. It is only through admitting your defeats & failures while acknowledging them that you can change past indiscretions/mistakes and move forward.

If people keep acting like these things(actions) from RIM are ok, it only perpetuates the cycle. RIM knows this, acknowledges this. But it is time for it's "Loyal Followers" to do the same. The process of fixing this mess has begun. But we can't and shouldn't act as though it didn't happen..
    i totaly agree with the 'son' analogy when it comes to showing one the error of their ways and to help them grow. we all know that there are RIM employees that visit this site so lets hope it gets to the right ears and they put out a press release about this rumor..... and also to officially release these lovely new phones that have been leeked like crazy these past few weeks
    07-18-11 09:42 PM
    i totaly agree with the 'son' analogy when it comes to showing one the error of their ways and to help them grow. we all know that there are RIM employees that visit this site so lets hope it gets to the right ears and they put out a press release about this rumor..... and also to officially release these lovely new phones that have been leeked like crazy these past few weeks
    RIM responded to the story. It's not happening. As for the rest of you post, they're most certainly coming. And soon.
    07-18-11 09:45 PM
    RIM responded to the story. It's not happening. As for the rest of you post, they're most certainly coming. And soon.
    yup, RIM`s response was `pure fiction` which considering its BGR we`re talking about it did make me chuckle
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-18-11 09:50 PM
    yup, RIM`s response was `pure fiction` which considering its BGR we`re talking about it did make me chuckle
    That's the problem. Why didn't RIM put RBC in the tweet too? People are losing focus. BGR didn't make this up. They got it from RBC which is a rather big outfit. If it was right, BGR hit it good. But many other sites ran the same story and sourced the same as BGR, which was RBC. Why isn't there some huge outlash against RBC is my point.
    psufan32 likes this.
    07-18-11 09:57 PM
    That's the problem. Why didn't RIM put RBC in the tweet too? People are losing focus. BGR didn't make this up. They got it from RBC which is a rather big outfit. If it was right, BGR hit it good. But many other sites ran the same story and sourced the same as BGR, which was RBC. Why isn't there some huge outlash against RBC is my point.
    probably because RBC havent been so anti RIM in the last few weeks? jus a guess
    sk8er_tor, Jake Storm and Jake2826 like this.
    07-18-11 10:10 PM
    There are some sites I just avoid. BGR is one of those sites. Not for any preconceived notions of RIM bashing, or bias, but more of a style clash. I have not minced words of my dislike for the fellow. It is just the way it is. Some people like the guy, others do not. What can you do? It is a war that won't end. I feel like too much attention is paid to this individual, and his site, here on the forums. Thankfully, none of this has spilled over to the front page where I frequent as of late. None of this is really productive at this juncture. We should all agree to disagree on this BGR point and move on. Of course, that won't happen. Just thought I would throw that out there.
    07-18-11 10:17 PM
    Why didn't RIM put RBC in the tweet too?
    Is it because of a little thing like RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) is a major investor in RIM and RBC�s Chief Operating Officer, Barbara Stymiest, sits on the Board of Directors at RIM?
    Last edited by sosumi11; 07-18-11 at 10:35 PM.
    Mr.Conviviality likes this.
    07-18-11 10:33 PM
    A new low for BGR is passing thing, but this just might qualify. Be assured there are lower depths ahead for BGR's spelunkers. I am not the only one in the Crackberry community who has repeatedly posted about the corruption in tech blogging and tech publishing world, and this is just the latest shining example. This is a fine illustration of the intersection of corrupt financial experts and corrupt blogging. You start with a purposefully vague and misleading statement from a sector expert, which is leaked to a willing shill-blogger, who in turn makes aggressively disingenuous assumptions from the false premise platform and off we go!

When others point this out, and the dubiousness of the proponents of the "story", others counter by picking up on posts on other blogs as independent "confirmation" of the original story, blithely skipping past the essential fact that the confirming posts are merely quoting the original falsehood. The echo-chamber effect is a well-used tactic in political circles and is easily adapted for this sort of commercial espionage. The secondary sources are just repeating the rumor without any attempt to verify, quoting sometimes directly, but quickly enough through several layers of either lazy or corrupt (or both) cross-posting. As entertaining as the new media can be, it lacks even the pretense of journalistic standards, but then such quaint ideals seemed honored more in the breech than in practice these days (as recent news demonstrates). As bad as the mainstreaam media and traditional news outlets have become, it would still be a shameful admission of failure to publish one story touting a negative screaming headline and then publish a second story "confirming" that the first story was, in fact, false or misleading. But BGR is beyond such things as shame. No one holds them to account. Even the site owners here tolerate and make excuses for this kind of shabby behavior, even as they are careful to avoid it in their own posts.
    07-18-11 11:20 PM
137 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD