"you dont know how low I can go" ~ from source at BGR

(my reflection of their 'reporting')
    07-18-11 03:50 PM
    At least the BGR headline actually states it is the WiFi model that might be halted. The ZDNet headline makes it sound like RIM will cancel the PB entirely.
    07-18-11 03:53 PM
    07-18-11 03:56 PM
    Don't shoot the messenger. It's just that there isn't much good news coming out of RIM. Here's some even more bad, yet predictable news.

48% of smartphone buyers want iPhone next, survey says

Only 4% of smartphone buyers are considering a blackberry. OUCH
    07-18-11 03:57 PM
    07-18-11 04:03 PM
    Most things he posts are fiction!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 04:04 PM
    On the word of a couple of analysts.

RIM to discontinue Wi-Fi BlackBerry PlayBook?
    In a note to investors Monday afternoon, RBC Capital Markets Managing Director Mike Abramsky reiterated an OTR Global report that Research In Motion is possibly planning to stop production of the BlackBerry PlayBook�s Wi-Fi model. The Wi-Fi version of RIM�s tablet is the only version Research In Motion currently manufacturers. The reasons for the discontinuation of the Wi-Fi edition, Abramsky states, could be related to a pullback in production, a move that would align channel inventory with slower than expected sell-through, in addition to RIM focusing on upcoming cellularly-connected PlayBook versions.
    Really? Are you serious?

Now no one can report anything bad about Rim without you guys flipping out. This site is more like a cult but with blinders on. It has become a little annoying like little 5 yr old kids. Someone talks about about something you like, get over it. If you like it then thats all that matters. I have loved BB's and now I think they are as old as my texas instruments computer, but maybe just maybe that will change and I will jump on the BB train again. But I wont slam every article that comes out against Rim. I even noticed when Kevin (the Crackberry guro / creator) had something negative to say about Rim so many of you freaked out. Take it easy, if you get so defensive bout someones comments then you are a little in-secure about your BB yourself.
    07-18-11 04:10 PM
    Don't shoot the messenger. It's just that there isn't much good news coming out of RIM. Here's some even more bad, yet predictable news.

48% of smartphone buyers want iPhone next, survey says

Only 4% of smartphone buyers are considering a blackberry. OUCH
    Not surprising at all. Damn things are looking bad for RIM. You don't have to go far to realize that the only people checking for RIMs devices anymore are the Blackberry hardcore base (and even many of those people are jumping ship). They'll never break new ground until they introduce something truly revolutionary and DIFFERENT for once, which QNX has the potential of doing. But given their extremely lackluster approach to new product introductions and quality control, I'm certain they will fail again. Mark my words, when the first QNX phone launches it will already be behind other tech, have a million bugs that RIM failed to iron out due to rushing the product out, and by and large be painted as the phone that "could" be great one day after RIM releases multiple hardware revisions and software updates.
    Shlooky likes this.
    07-18-11 04:11 PM
    It is totally plausable production on the wifi "only" model is being stopped.
    Do they have enough made for demand, maybe. Are they changing to focus on 3g/4g models, maybe. Are they focusing on 3g/4g with WIFI maybe.

I wouldnt be too worried, if a 3g/4g and wifi like all their phones is in the works why not streamline and cut the wifi "only" version.

In the end the only thing i read is a possible stop on producing the wifi "ONLY" model. Again that has no reference to upcoming models just the ones currently being made.

How long before the new iphone comes out to you think apple stops production on the prior model?????
    07-18-11 04:34 PM
    Wow! You guys really believed that rumor?! Hillarious.

RIM has already tweeted its "pure fiction."

I swear, BGR could post that RIM is changing over to the Android operating system and some of you would believe it.

Thanks for giving me another good laugh though.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-18-11 04:47 PM
    BlackBerry @BGR Pure fiction. No plan to discontinue. In fact, WiFi PlayBook is launching in new countries practically every week.
    about 1 hour ago*in reply to BGR

07-18-11 04:59 PM
    RIM shot down those rumors via their @BlackBerry Twitter account. Gotta give it to RIM for staying on top of social media!
    07-18-11 05:07 PM
    At least the BGR headline actually states it is the WiFi model that might be halted. The ZDNet headline makes it sound like RIM will cancel the PB entirely.
    ZDNet probably based their headline on the initial BGR post that didn't mention the word wifi either.
    07-18-11 05:08 PM
    It is totally plausable production on the wifi "only" model is being stopped.
    Do they have enough made for demand, maybe. Are they changing to focus on 3g/4g models, maybe. Are they focusing on 3g/4g with WIFI maybe.

I wouldnt be too worried, if a 3g/4g and wifi like all their phones is in the works why not streamline and cut the wifi "only" version.
    That would be a stupid approach to take because the tablet market is not exactly the same as the phone market and you would not be streamlining things so much as ignoring an entirely separate segment of the market who have zero interest in forking out for a a second data plan.
    07-18-11 05:10 PM
    That would be a stupid approach to take because the tablet market is not exactly the same as the phone market and you would not be streamlining things so much as ignoring an entirely separate segment of the market who have zero interest in forking out for a a second data plan.
    This is correct. However, the segment of the market they'd be ignoring (if they were to discontinue the wi-fi only PlayBook) isn't buying the device anyway. We all know the sales aren't there yet. The troubling part about this rumor is that PlayBook sales are still meager enough to allow the suggestion that the device may be discontinued.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    07-18-11 05:31 PM
    This is correct. However, the segment of the market they'd be ignoring (if they were to discontinue the wi-fi only PlayBook) isn't buying the device anyway. We all know the sales aren't there yet. The troubling part about this rumor is that PlayBook sales are still meager enough to allow the suggestion that the device may be discontinued.
    Don't forget those 500.000 shipped were North America only. Just recently the Playbook was launched in UK and it's offered free with a free 9300 on a 24 months contract for �36 monthly payment. I suspect many will go for that.

07-18-11 05:35 PM
    No. The troubling part about this rumor is that some people here actually believed it. Actually, for real.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-18-11 05:37 PM
    I doubt there would be a single genius over there even if you spotted each of them 100 points. What's atrocious is how many media outlets posted the same thing and sourced those clowns.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-18-11 05:53 PM
    Forget Boygenius and his balderdash. This is what he wants after all. More and more talk about his excellent little BGR site. "The Three Biggest Letters in Tech" is at the top of his site now. Very nice. Way to go, sir. Way to go.
    07-18-11 05:56 PM
    I doubt there would be a single genius over there even if you spotted each of them 100 points. What's atrocious is how many media outlets posted the same thing and sourced those clowns.
    Indeed. In fact, that happens way too much. Amazing.
    07-18-11 05:59 PM
    who said you would have to have the data plan enabled????? you could buy one playbook, use wifi if you wanted, data plan through carrier or wifi and bridge if you have a BB.

To say the markets are different is absolute stupidity!!!!!!!
    There is a good reason you have iphone and ipad, droid phone and droid tab. blackberry and playbook. I think you are failing to see where the market is going!!!! People want synergy between their devices, why do you think apple has been sooooo damn successful, lets see ipod, itouch, iphone, ipad and a mac book. All familiar devices that sync and share most add-ons.

A tablet is an extension of the phone today that bridges the gap between a laptop and phone. For all the new tablets they have more in common with a phone than a laptop.

Give me 1 year and RIM would be right back as a leader not playing catchup. Streamline your devices, (2 form factors would work), solidify BB as an all encompasing OS, (great browser and media/not just security and messaging) full tablet functionality at release (instead of just current BB user market).
    07-18-11 06:05 PM
    The wifi only model is probably the most important model for any tablet. And I'm sure it's the best selling one. Banking on 3G/4G versions is not good. Droves of people are not going to run out to pay 500 buck plus sign a contract for a tablet. I hope RIM doesn't make the mistake that Moto did with the Xoom and charge a buttload of money for it off contract.
    If you're sure, I'm sure you're mistaken, sorry:
    AppleInsider | Over 60% of Apple's first-wave iPad 2 production to be 3G models

Scroll down and check the sales numbers. The 60% wifi number appears to be the previous trend as well.

Having said that, this can't possibly be viewed as a good sign by anyone following the PlayBook. If you have confidence in the product line, you don't kill it before your next version is shipping.
    srad711 likes this.
    07-18-11 06:12 PM
    On the word of a couple of analysts.

RIM to discontinue Wi-Fi BlackBerry PlayBook?
    In a note to investors Monday afternoon, RBC Capital Markets Managing Director Mike Abramsky reiterated an OTR Global report that Research In Motion is possibly planning to stop production of the BlackBerry PlayBook�s Wi-Fi model. The Wi-Fi version of RIM�s tablet is the only version Research In Motion currently manufacturers. The reasons for the discontinuation of the Wi-Fi edition, Abramsky states, could be related to a pullback in production, a move that would align channel inventory with slower than expected sell-through, in addition to RIM focusing on upcoming cellularly-connected PlayBook versions.
    Why would this be portrayed as an "all new low for BGR"?? They didn't come up with the story. They only reported what RBC Capital reported.
    K Bear, howarmat and avt123 like this.
    07-18-11 06:19 PM
    Don't forget those 500.000 shipped were North America only. Just recently the Playbook was launched in UK and it's offered free with a free 9300 on a 24 months contract for �36 monthly payment. I suspect many will go for that.

500,000 shipped to retail, but how many actually sold to consumers?
    07-18-11 06:24 PM
    if you follow blackberry on twitter they are saying its not true at all. here it is.
    07-18-11 06:33 PM
137 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD