And your point is?

Try using it
    07-18-11 02:32 PM
    Try using it
    Who appointed you the forum nazi?
    BryanTheRed likes this.
    07-18-11 02:34 PM
    Isnt the big selling point of the WiFi version the bridge? So people wont need to tether or get another data plan? This is not good news for RIM or the PB IMO.
    07-18-11 02:35 PM
    Who cares if they discontinue the wi-fi model????
    The wifi only model is probably the most important model for any tablet. And I'm sure it's the best selling one. Banking on 3G/4G versions is not good. Droves of people are not going to run out to pay 500 buck plus sign a contract for a tablet. I hope RIM doesn't make the mistake that Moto did with the Xoom and charge a buttload of money for it off contract.

S/N: BGR isn't the only one reporting this so the title of this thread is dumb. Every rumor or bad thing about RIM doesn't begin and end with BGR. They just reported what several other outlets are also reporting. I guess it's a new low for all the tech blogs.

http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news...laybook-tablet
    http://www.businessinsider.com/rim-t...laybook-2011-7
    http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=15844
    http://theunlockr.com/2011/07/18/rim...erry-playbook/
    http://www.slashgear.com/blackberry-...nued-18165809/
    http://hardocp.com/news/2011/07/18/r...ry_playbook63/
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-18-11 at 02:41 PM.
    07-18-11 02:35 PM
    Well damn.. I hope this isn't true. I mean I had no plans on getting a tablet anytime soon but if I did it would def. be a WiFi only version. Like if a laptop was a carrier only device I wouldn't be having a laptop right now. I couldn't put up with the hit or miss speeds and relying on a TOWER.
    pinkert11 likes this.
    07-18-11 02:40 PM
    This is just going to be more analyst bs intended to try and further destabilise the stock price so that they can continue to claim their position on rim has merit, they are not going to give up on sales of a product that would effectively be using a subset of the code for the new models anyway.

If we see any changes when the 3g/4g models show up, maybe we will see a streamlining of the range somehow e.g. 16gig is wifi-only, 32gig has both options and the 64gig is only available as 3g/4g as it would seem unlikely that anyone who was happy to pay the $100 or so premium for 4g would want to pair it with 16gig of flash memory.
    07-18-11 02:55 PM
    I don't think this is true. HOWEVER it IS believable that they have halted production while supplies are high. I think when the product gets the Android player, BB Player, and the Native Apps (Email, PIM etc) production will resume. But then again it's ALL just rumor and speculation.
    Well until I see a Press release or information about inventory shortages this is all speculation.

RIM may scale back production to make room for the Cellular version, since they clearly can keep up with production they don't need to make another line, so build up some warehouse inventory, PAUSE production while making other models resume production as demand increased. hello that is how manufacturing works, Pilsbury Stops production on Chocolate chip cookies all the time!! so they can make oatmeal, or double chocolate, doesn't mean they don't resume production of chocolate chip once warehouse supply's are depleted
    Who appointed you the forum nazi?
    Me. enjoy the rest of your summer vacation.
    07-18-11 02:59 PM

NOT!!! saying that BGR is to blame for this as a rumor at all, or faulting them in ANY way, just to show that BGR does have far more reach than some would like to admit, and that trying to say it isn't just BGR reporting it and siting mostly sites who list BGR as their source is just not a strong argument.

I unfortunately couldn't find a link directly to RBC Capital Markets financial analyst Mike Abramsky report, I assume it was a conference call or something
    07-18-11 03:04 PM
    derussett can answer to his experience but so far i have seen that most professionals who are on the road and out of the office use a 3G tablet. They arent relying on their phone as a source of connection to the ouside world. They are ON the phone using it as a phone while working away on the tablet. They need to have a "always on" and reliable connection at all times. From ipads to netbooks to even a windows based unit they have pretty much always been a 3G model. The PB is suppose to be a professional tablet so getting those 3g/4g tablets to the market might be a bigger priority so more businesses can then use them.
    07-18-11 03:05 PM
    NOT!!! saying that BGR is to blame for this as a rumor at all, or faulting them in ANY way, just to show that BGR does have far more reach than some would like to admit, and that trying to say it isn't just BGR reporting it and siting mostly sites who list BGR as their source is just not a strong argument.

I unfortunately couldn't find a link directly to RBC Capital Markets financial analyst Mike Abramsky report, I assume it was a conference call or something
    this was reported here on CB well before BGR picked it up. So its not something BGR started at all.
    07-18-11 03:07 PM
    Seriously, people need to chill out with the whole 'BGR is always attacking BlackBerry' ideology. Just because some tech blog is reporting RIM's failures and bad news doesn't mean they're out for blood. RIM is doing bad, there's no denying it; BGR is reporting bad RIM-related news, that's what the media does - report on how things are moving along in the world.
    blackmoe likes this.
    07-18-11 03:09 PM
    this was reported here on CB well before BGR picked it up. So its not something BGR started at all.
    I actually clicked on the thread title by mistake the first time thinking what is some over the top RIM fan boy saying now about BGR,

then I read the posts and felt the need to comment, THEN I read all the sites sourcing BGR so I again had to comment. now I'm commenting again[

derussett can answer to his experience but so far i have seen that most professionals who are on the road and out of the office use a 3G tablet. They arent relying on their phone as a source of connection to the ouside world. They are ON the phone using it as a phone while working away on the tablet. They need to have a "always on" and reliable connection at all times. From ipads to netbooks to even a windows based unit they have pretty much always been a 3G model. The PB is suppose to be a professional tablet so getting those 3g/4g tablets to the market might be a bigger priority so more businesses can then use them.

Well for me it hasn't been much of an issue for not having 3G connection as half the time I pull out the Playbook I have no signal on my blackberry ANYWAY, it certainly isn't for everyone having the wifi only tablet, but as business professionals on the go, the tablet is not being used for email, chances are everything I want to show someone is preloaded on the device as I don't want to rely on an internet connection for a presentation to clients.
    07-18-11 03:14 PM
    One concern RIM might have is that financially, it isn't worth it to support the Playbook for much longer. They shipped 0.5 million. If about 0.3 were sold to end users, and they made a profit of $100 on each one, that's about $30,000,000 in profit. In the grand scheme of things, that's peanuts to RIM. And if sales have actually slowed down since launch, they might not even be hitting that $30 million/quarter number.

Where's the motivation? If they don't care about the financials as motivation, what's left is consumer satisfaction. How are they doing on that front?
    07-18-11 03:17 PM
    I actually clicked on the thread title by mistake the first time thinking what is some over the top RIM fan boy saying now about BGR,

then I read the posts and felt the need to comment, THEN I read all the sites sourcing BGR so I again had to comment. now I'm commenting again[

Well for me it hasn't been much of an issue for not having 3G connection as half the time I pull out the Playbook I have no signal on my blackberry ANYWAY, it certainly isn't for everyone having the wifi only tablet, but as business professionals on the go, the tablet is not being used for email, chances are everything I want to show someone is preloaded on the device as I don't want to rely on an internet connection for a presentation to clients.
    that is true too. It just struck me the other day when the realtor we have right now had his little HP netbook with him, carrying it around in the house and everywhere else. pulling up the web info in the backyard and such. Always connected. It obviously will depend on your job and what you do.

here is the original post from earlier this morning btw
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...el-oct-630772/
    07-18-11 03:25 PM
    My experience is pretty much the opposite of this, the ipads I have seen have tended to be the wifi model more often than not.

I won't comment on netbooks since the vast majority of business users I see are using proper laptops and not netbooks regardless of 3g connectivity or not.
    07-18-11 03:29 PM
    One concern RIM might have is that financially, it isn't worth it to support the Playbook for much longer. They shipped 0.5 million. If about 0.3 were sold to end users, and they made a profit of $100 on each one, that's about $30,000,000 in profit. In the grand scheme of things, that's peanuts to RIM. And if sales have actually slowed down since launch, they might not even be hitting that $30 million/quarter number.

Where's the motivation? If they don't care about the financials as motivation, what's left is consumer satisfaction. How are they doing on that front?
    RIM made a Profit on each SHIPPED unit, it doesn't get paid after the retailer sell it, it gets paid on the shipped units.

so IF! they made $100 per unit they made 50million in a quarter,
    and $50 million is a very worth while value to continue to try and maintain and grow,
    The Sell through rate is where it happens, if they are selling to consumers 30million a quarter it can be expected the following quarter they'll sell 20million units do to a 20 million channel surplus, and level off around 20-30 million a quarter to maintain channel requirements,
    Though I suspect they've built inventory to maintain the channel whilst they build 3G/4G units, keeping costs down by not having to have multiple lines running with different products,
    07-18-11 03:33 PM
    RIM may stop producing current PlayBook: report - The Globe and Mail

Globe and Mail is also reporting it.
    07-18-11 03:33 PM
    It will make every major news outlet over the next 24 hours I bet
    07-18-11 03:35 PM

That makes it even more comical that other tech outlets are willing to use BGR as a source but paranoid RIM fans have to be conspiracy theorists.
    07-18-11 03:36 PM
    OMG! BGR is the Devil! OMG! OMG!

You guys need to get a grip when it comes to BGR.
    Yep they are

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 03:42 PM
    It will make every major news outlet over the next 24 hours I bet
    True, and will have an effect on the stock. Now it's $25.60 CDN.
    07-18-11 03:46 PM
    That makes it even more comical that other tech outlets are willing to use BGR as a source but paranoid RIM fans have to be conspiracy theorists.
    I don't disagree that it is comical

BUT I REALLY REALLY think it is pretty bad that other tech blogs actually rely on an independent tech blog to get their news.

Kind of poor journalism,

THOUGH! I must say it isn't easy to find the Full story from the source so reporting on a opinion reporting piece with your own opinion reporting piece is just the take of "journalism" in the "post PC era" hehe
    07-18-11 03:47 PM
    True, and will have an effect on the stock. Now it's $25.60 CDN.
    I was running late today and didn't buy the 100 shares I was planning to this morning, I'm going to wait till wednesday now since tomorrow I bet we see TSE:RIM Fall to $25.10
    07-18-11 03:50 PM
137 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD