Greetings, I just purch this wrt110 router from linksys and when I scan networks my phone reboots. It's a "G" router and everything else networked perfectly. T-Mobile and the PDA dept are dumbfounded. Please HELP!
    07-05-08 12:23 PM
    What OS version is on your phone? Go to Options > About, third line. Also, do you have the router set up differently from the factory defaults?
    07-05-08 12:26 PM
    Insufficient info man.

What does the phone do... does it find the WiFi network when you scan for it? Does it attach? Does it ask for a keycode (if your WiFi is secured)? These are all important answers to the big question.

Also, if by some chance you're using the LELA crap that cames with the new Linksys routers, that might be some of your problem. The LELA program uses similar procedures that WPS uses and sometimes is not supported by simpler WiFi impementations like that in Blackberries. If you're trying to get it connected like this, it probably won't work. Do it old school by actually learning how to setup WPA on the router with a static shared key and then utilize that key when you add devices to the network manually.

Give us some more info on how you have it setup and what/how far you get with the connection of the phone before we can give you the solution. Also, if you haven't checked yet, make sure the router is on the latest firmware version... some versions can simply have a software bug keeping things from working as intended.
    07-05-08 04:54 PM
    Greetings, I just purch this wrt110 router from linksys and when I scan networks my phone reboots. It's a "G" router and everything else networked perfectly. T-Mobile and the PDA dept are dumbfounded. Please HELP!
    I have the same exact problem. Blackberry 8310 and WRT110 router. Phone worked fine till I turned wifi on and entered in 128-bit WEP key. It connected and then started continuously rebooting. If I turn the router off the phone stops rebooting. Phone also works fine in other wifi spots (like T-mobile Starbucks hotspots). I have another T-mobile phone (Nokia) through hotspot@home network and it works great with the WRT110 router. It seems to just be the combination of the Blackberry and WRT110.

I have the latest router firmware and Blackberry software but the problem persists. Router is set to factory defaults on everything. Same goes with the Blackberry.

Called T-mobile PDA support and they have vague reports of similar problems with other routers. Their solution was to use the T-mobile branded router -- which I don't particularly want to do since I get good throughput on the WRT110 router.

Anyone have any suggestions (besides sucking it up and getting the free T-mobile router)?
    07-09-08 03:58 PM
    I also have the WRT110, and I agree the throughput is awesome, but as soon as I connect my 8320, the phone keeps rebooting, gets to about 97% verifying security then reboots. The only thing I can do is get far enough away from the router so there is no signal and delete the association. I am using WPA Personal and AES. It worked fine with my old Linksys with the EXACT same settings. Anyone have any luck?
    07-11-08 06:59 PM
    All of you guys really should report these issues to development for Linksys. Go online to support and send an email asking to send the info direct to level 2 and development for fixing. Sounds like a firmware issue. Also report it to RIM as well. The problem could be in either place. Also, check to see if you're on verion 1.0.04 (Build 10) of the firmware. It's the latest.
    07-12-08 12:41 AM
    I have the same exact problem. Blackberry 8310 and WRT110 router. Phone worked fine till I turned wifi on and entered in 128-bit WEP key. It connected and then started continuously rebooting. If I turn the router off the phone stops rebooting. Phone also works fine in other wifi spots (like T-mobile Starbucks hotspots). I have another T-mobile phone (Nokia) through hotspot@home network and it works great with the WRT110 router. It seems to just be the combination of the Blackberry and WRT110.

I have the latest router firmware and Blackberry software but the problem persists. Router is set to factory defaults on everything. Same goes with the Blackberry.

Called T-mobile PDA support and they have vague reports of similar problems with other routers. Their solution was to use the T-mobile branded router -- which I don't particularly want to do since I get good throughput on the WRT110 router.

Anyone have any suggestions (besides sucking it up and getting the free T-mobile router)?
    hmmm thats weird because the 8310 doesnt support wifi only the 8320 and 8120 do
    07-12-08 05:29 AM
    You may need Blackberry OS 4.5 to fix the issue.
    Here is a tech article on Belkin's site regarding this problem:
    Doc ID : KB14677
    Last Modified : 2008-01-09
    Document Type : Support

Environment

* BlackBerry� smartphone
    * SDR149479

Problem

Wi-Fi� enabled BlackBerry smartphones cannot connect to Belkin� N Wireless Routers (Model: F5D8233-4) and Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Routers (Model: F5D8232-4). The Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone shuts down and restarts repeatedly when attempting to connect to the Belkin wireless router.

Resolution

Note: The resolution to this issue may not be available from all wireless service providers.
    To resolve this issue, upgrade to BlackBerry� Device Software 4.2.2.338 or later. For instructions, see KB03621.

I guess that it is the same thing with the Linksys. I have to make the assumption that if 4.2.2.338 has the fix, that 4.5 will also.
    07-13-08 07:32 AM
    It says "or later!" So, 4.5 will prolly do the trick!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 08:02 AM
    I had the exact same issue: upgrading to the latest firmware 1.0.0.4 build 10 solved the problem.
    08-19-08 11:04 PM
    make sure the firmware on the router is the latest as well as on ur phone.
    08-19-08 11:09 PM
    I just got my first blackberry and I tried doing the same thing, simply connecting to my wireless router (Linkys WRT110) and it was as if my phone was stuck in a loop rebooting. Only till I drove away from my house was I then able to contact Tmobile support and their solution was for me to turn the WiFi off, that I didn't need it?????? B/c I was on EDGE and thats how I needed to contact to the internet. So I did and now my phone works again at home, but I'm really confused, whats the difference from WiFi and EDGE? I just thought EDGE was the connection type.
    I have one more question, when I connect to the internet it doesn't look right, like only the data is coming through. Is that normal?
    08-20-08 12:22 PM
    I just got my first blackberry and I tried doing the same thing, simply connecting to my wireless router (Linkys WRT110) and it was as if my phone was stuck in a loop rebooting. Only till I drove away from my house was I then able to contact Tmobile support and their solution was for me to turn the WiFi off, that I didn't need it?????? B/c I was on EDGE and thats how I needed to contact to the internet. So I did and now my phone works again at home, but I'm really confused, whats the difference from WiFi and EDGE? I just thought EDGE was the connection type.
    I have one more question, when I connect to the internet it doesn't look right, like only the data is coming through. Is that normal?
    WiFi is just a short range radio signal provided by routers and similar devices. But you can't connect to the internet from a WiFi signal unless the router providing the signal is itself somehow connected to the internet (eg via cable or DSL) as WiFi itself is not an internet source. If your cellphone supports WiFi there should be an option to turn WiFi on or off (since WiFi chews threw the battery). If you have a WiFi router connected to the internet you just have to make sure that the security settings on each device (router and cellphone) match.

EDGE has nothing to do with WiFi. It is a data channel over a provider's (eg AT&T) celluar network. If you have a cellphone with an EDGE connection, you can access the internet through your cellphone. You can even connect (tether) your cellphone to a laptop so that the laptop can use the internet. But a tethering plan usually costs extra.

If you heard about 3G being a superfast network, then EDGE is 2.5G. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question. If you are connected to EDGE you should only be seeing data. Unless you want to talk and be connected to the internet at the same. You can't do that unfortunately with EDGE. You can with 3G but only certain carriers support it.
    08-20-08 03:48 PM
    Don't know if this will help but have you guys heard of DD WRT lets you reflash your router with better firmware (LINUX) may help and waaaaay more customizable.
    08-20-08 05:05 PM
    I don't know about the 110 but those firmwares might only work with the older models as the manufacturers have been reducing the onboard memory.
    08-21-08 04:48 PM
    The WRT110 is an Ralink device. Not supported by DD-WRT, Might (and this is a big might) be supported in the future. Unfortunately, its not going to work with DD-WRT. Just like the WRT54GL cost a bit more, you would have to get a WRT310N to be able to have the DD-WRT functionality. According to the Wiki the 310 will work when flashed with mini then standard versions of DD-WRT.
    08-24-08 08:27 AM
    Hi,

Can I ask you a question - I'm an owner of a Nokia E-71 (unlocked) which came from Europe. I've an active T-Mobile account. I'm about to be given a T-Mobile Linksys router which I'm told will let me do wifi calls if I'm on the T-mobile network. Since I have the service, I think & my phone is suppose to be wifi enabled, it should work, right?

What will it take to make the service work? Do I need to get some code from T-Mobile? They say the phone isn't supported, but I've also heard they say that just to get someone to buy the specific list of phones they want using this service.

I appreciate your insights & help. Thanks! JR

Insufficient info man.

What does the phone do... does it find the WiFi network when you scan for it? Does it attach? Does it ask for a keycode (if your WiFi is secured)? These are all important answers to the big question.

Also, if by some chance you're using the LELA crap that cames with the new Linksys routers, that might be some of your problem. The LELA program uses similar procedures that WPS uses and sometimes is not supported by simpler WiFi impementations like that in Blackberries. If you're trying to get it connected like this, it probably won't work. Do it old school by actually learning how to setup WPA on the router with a static shared key and then utilize that key when you add devices to the network manually.

Give us some more info on how you have it setup and what/how far you get with the connection of the phone before we can give you the solution. Also, if you haven't checked yet, make sure the router is on the latest firmware version... some versions can simply have a software bug keeping things from working as intended.
    06-27-09 09:17 PM
    The E71 is a GSM phone so it should work with T-Mobile. I have an E71-2 which has USA 3G frequencies and worked with AT&T's network (Edge and 3G) out of the box. If your phone came from Europe it is probably an E71-1 which does not use USA 3G frequencies but since you are using TMo anyway that is a moot issue since TMo's US 3G frequencies are unique to it . The phone should still work with your regular GSM/Edge service.

The E71 supports wifi and it supports voip. To use wifi you simply scan for wifi networks and if secured you enter the password. I never used the voip capability of the phone but I know that the initial setup inclodes voip setup.

I bought my phone unlocked and not through AT&T. The only reason I needed to give AT&T the IMEI code (if that is what you were referring to) was so I could use the phone for tethering (using it as a modem). Since I doubt you'll be using it in that capacity you probably won't need to give TMo any information about the phone. One thing you may want to consider is that the data plan for the E71 may be cheaper than your current plan (I think I saved $15 per month on unlimited data switching from my blackberry since AT&T didn't consider the E71 a smartphone IIRC).
    06-27-09 11:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD