http://us.mobile.reuters.com/shortArticle/technologyNews/idUSTRE7667H520110707?irpc=932

Boys, your about to find out it ain't about RIM/Blackberry. It is purely about stock holders and money. For details read the above Rueters news article.

Mike Lazaridis has to go, just like Steve Jobs had to go, Mike is being blamed for being and Engineer and not a marketing man, which is probably true. The writings on the wall. For better oir worse. What Mike has to do is roll with it. Cooperate and set himself up with a still active roll, but not his current roll. Sure it's humiliating but that's life baby. Money talks and BS walks.

There would be no RIM if not for Mike but as is well known in business school, some people are great at start ups and some are great at running a mature business, rarely both.

It would be nice if the stock holders would be as gentle as possible with Mike and believe me there are by giving Mike the chance to do the move hisself. But stock holders are never appreciatitive but of one thing, highest return on the dollar.

In business and life, only your mother will hold you in esteem for past good things. In business it's perform or bye-bye.

Let's hope Mike can take this like change in his status as a past performer and still have a key position with RIM, it ain't yours baby, it's the stock holders company, the penality of going public.

Regards,
    MAW

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 08:06 AM
    Where does it say Mike has to go? This is not the time for shake up at the top, this is time to be patient as Mike executes his vision.I am sure they were caught off guard by Android's rapid rise but they have a plan and they are executing it.
    07-09-11 08:24 AM
    Where does it say Mike has to go? This is not the time for shake up at the top, this is time to be patient as Mike executes his vision.I am sure they were caught off guard by Android's rapid rise but they have a plan and they are executing it.
    Can't see the story in the OP's link, but I have to agree with this. ^^^

It would be different if they were still doing nothing; but new things are obviously coming, things that have been in the works for at least a year, probably more. We're just about a month or so away from new top-of-the-line BB's being released, and probably less than a year from the first QNX handhelds. PlayBook is basically still in its infancy. With everything that's going on, I think they need to give it time to pan out. On the other hand, if all this new stuff is executed poorly and/or it hits the streets and all flops, then it will be time to take a good hard look at executive management. But for right now, I'm fairly confident that they know they made some missteps and are taking corrective action. A shakeup now would be much too destabilizing and generally harmful to any hope for the company returning to 'relevance'.
    07-09-11 10:22 AM
    Proxy firm unimpressed by RIM promise about board | Reuters.com

Direct to Story

Link repaired

Text of story:
    TORONTO (Reuters) - Proxy firm Glass Lewis was left unimpressed by Research In Motion Ltd's promise to study board changes while avoiding an imminent shareholder vote on the matter.

The BlackBerry maker last week succumbed to shareholder pressure, supported by Glass Lewis and another major proxy firm, saying it would form a committee to report back by early next year on whether co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie should also retain roles as co-chairmen.

In turn, activist shareholder Northwest and Ethical Investments withdrew a proposed vote that would have been held at RIM's July 12 annual meeting.

In an update to its initial report supporting a split, Glass Lewis said it was time for action, not further study.

"In short, we believe the proposed committee will be of limited utility in advancing the establishment of independent board oversight," Glass Lewis analysts wrote in a report.

(Reporting by Alastair Sharp; editing by Andre Grenon)

Last edited by BergerKing; 07-09-11 at 10:33 AM.
    07-09-11 10:28 AM
    Not much of a 'story.'

TORONTO (Reuters) - Proxy firm Glass Lewis was left unimpressed by Research In Motion Ltd's promise to study board changes while avoiding an imminent shareholder vote on the matter.

The BlackBerry maker last week succumbed to shareholder pressure, supported by Glass Lewis and another major proxy firm, saying it would form a committee to report back by early next year on whether co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie should also retain roles as co-chairmen.

In turn, activist shareholder Northwest and Ethical Investments withdrew a proposed vote that would have been held at RIM's July 12 annual meeting.

In an update to its initial report supporting a split, Glass Lewis said it was time for action, not further study.

"In short, we believe the proposed committee will be of limited utility in advancing the establishment of independent board oversight," Glass Lewis analysts wrote in a report.

(Reporting by Alastair Sharp; editing by Andre Grenon)
    http://us.mobile.reuters.com/article...10707?irpc=932
    07-09-11 10:32 AM
    I'm all for splitting the co-CEO's and Chairmanships. They need to either be one or the other. Too much power in M and J's hands. The company is no longer technically their's, but the shareholders. I'm also not opposed to seeing them totally tossed, but think that it should happen between OS7 and QNX. Would be great to see QNX handhelds and fresh new leadership at RIM to have a totally new way forward in both OS and thinking.
    07-09-11 10:34 AM
    Maybe he should go, then come back & turn it into the worlds most profitable tech company?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    howarmat and diegonei like this.
    07-09-11 10:57 AM
    Can't see the story in the OP's link, but I have to agree with this. ^^^

It would be different if they were still doing nothing; but new things are obviously coming, things that have been in the works for at least a year, probably more. We're just about a month or so away from new top-of-the-line BB's being released, and probably less than a year from the first QNX handhelds. PlayBook is basically still in its infancy. With everything that's going on, I think they need to give it time to pan out. On the other hand, if all this new stuff is executed poorly and/or it hits the streets and all flops, then it will be time to take a good hard look at executive management. But for right now, I'm fairly confident that they know they made some missteps and are taking corrective action. A shakeup now would be much too destabilizing and generally harmful to any hope for the company returning to 'relevance'.
    Stock holders won't say, hey guys, Mike fumbled, let's give him more time, maybe he can make things better, (only a mother would give such lenency). The stock holders are saying, you had your chance, you stumbled, stock is down, your out! That's the way of business.
    MAW

K Bear likes this.
    07-09-11 01:32 PM
    Right now is probably the absolute worst time for a change at the top, with so much transition going on with BlackBerry products. Now, that's a great way to see Blackberry REALLY end up in trouble. Absolutely horrible time for such an idea.
    07-09-11 02:09 PM
    It probably is the wrong time for a shake up but who knows for certain? It was claimed that native email was 60 days out and it missed. RIM is over promising and keeping ppl guessing. Which is frustrating for investors and customers. RIM also expected the PB out in February, didn't happen. And looking at the stock chart the last slide in price occurred then.

What I'd like to see is better communication and solid announcements. Right now its seems like RIM is broken. Lots of info floating around but nothing certain. Most investors need/want certainty when they put their money at risk.
    Catch 22?
    In a time of uncertainty RIM needs to give better guidance but they can't because it's all new to them.
    RIM is learning a lesson here I hope...make something happen or else somebody will for you. When they were the only kid on the block they could let the product speak for itself. Now there is massive competition and this isn't the case anymore.

RIM get out there and stop the bleeding please! Maybe something meaningful will happen at the AGM. Hopefully something that doesn't include replacing the top management which could only confuse things more.
    07-09-11 03:21 PM
    Stock holders won't say, hey guys, Mike fumbled, let's give him more time, maybe he can make things better, (only a mother would give such lenency). The stock holders are saying, you had your chance, you stumbled, stock is down, your out! That's the way of business.
    MAW

The only problem with that is, the big fumble(s) occurred 3-4 years ago. I'd say the last two years have been spent executing corrective action, setting in motion efforts that resulted in the PlayBook (which could have been done better but is not a failure by any stretch) the OS7 phones that are coming soon, and QNX-based handhelds, not to mention numerous strategic acquisitions. It takes a bit of time before the benefits of all these things can be realized. If anything, any action to shake up management should have been initiated three years ago. Apparently no one on the board had the foresight to anticipate this outcome as a possibility back then, so now they'd do best to just deal with it and see how they weather this storm (no pun intended). To embark down that path now would just be sour grapes and a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    purijagmohan and Dapper37 like this.
    07-09-11 04:26 PM
    The only problem with that is, the big fumble(s) occurred 3-4 years ago. I'd say the last two years have been spent executing corrective action, setting in motion efforts that resulted in the PlayBook (which could have been done better but is not a failure by any stretch) the OS7 phones that are coming soon, and QNX-based handhelds, not to mention numerous strategic acquisitions. It takes a bit of time before the benefits of all these things can be realized. If anything, any action to shake up management should have been initiated three years ago. Apparently no one on the board had the foresight to anticipate this outcome as a possibility back then, so now they'd do best to just deal with it and see how they weather this storm (no pun intended). To embark down that path now would just be sour grapes and a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    The problem is RIM is still fumbling handoffs and shaking pints to this day. Hello, unfinished Playbook, no new phones since the Style & Torch, OS 6.1 becomes OS 7 just like 6.0 was really 5.1.
    07-09-11 05:06 PM
    MAW

I am a stock holder and it's in my vested interest that Mike stays.I would be dumping mine the moment he goes.Mike and Jim together own 11% of company and when stock gets hit, they get hit too.They both are reduced to 800 million dollar net worth and Mike spent 200 million to fund Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics. Much better leadership than the idiots running american financial firms, that depend on govt bail out.

As long as they keep buying shares to reduce net float while growing bottom line I am happy.I could care less where the stock is trading at every nth second.

We need a long term plan, QNX is the long term plan.So is TAT.Multimedia was always their weak point and they are fixing that.What is not to like?
    Jake2826, Matt J, i7guy and 1 others like this.
    07-09-11 08:33 PM
    Rim is two years behind in technology & the top management screwed up big time. Now I think is not the time to fire these guy's we have to remember that these are the guy's that took a pager company & turned it into the first smart phone company in the world as far as i know. The top two guy's know a lot about the way the Rim system works they know about the technology that Rim uses so don't throw them under the bus yet let's wait & see if they get thing's straight. I don't like the old hardware just like the rest of you & I have been vocal about it two but we are just a couple of month's away from the beginning of a turn around for Rim I hope they have some LTE phone's coming by the end of the year if they do not then they missed another boat. Let's wait we will know in a few month's.

07-09-11 08:57 PM
    Maybe he should go, then come back & turn it into the worlds most profitable tech company?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    RIM has to start losing money first. lol. Apple was is rough shape for a while...
    I wish they could but I think RIM needs to get more desperate. Which in a twisted way kinda makes me glad all this negative press puts some pressure on RIM. If it helps create a better future devices and more innovation and success in the future, I'm all for it.

Go RIM GO!
    07-09-11 09:14 PM
    The problem is RIM is still fumbling handoffs and shaking pints to this day. Hello, unfinished Playbook, no new phones since the Style & Torch, OS 6.1 becomes OS 7 just like 6.0 was really 5.1.
    I did say the PlayBook could have been done better, but they still got it out, and it's comparing very favorably with most other tabs. And hello, why is it so difficult to understand that new phones don't develop themselves overnight. The ones that are coming soon had to have been in the works for a year or more. The delays we're in the tail end of now are the fruits of errors from years ago. We're about to see a whole lot more movement in the next few months than we have in the last few years. Quit being so completely friggin negative, step outside your little world and take a look at the whole picture for a change.
    07-09-11 10:03 PM
    I have said this before in the forums but I will say it again. Leave Mike and Jim but bring in someone that can run the day to day and get the big picture. Make that position very strong and give them the power to kick some A$$. Get it moving and take on all competitors, no more Mr Nice Guy !
    07-09-11 11:28 PM
    I don't care what job he gets, this ****** ain't workin for him

Rickroller likes this.
    07-10-11 01:06 AM
    "Patience" is the LAST thing you would allow someone to do in a company that has shareholders AND that operates in today's world. Shakeups are needed. People need to fear for their jobs and stop being the lazy bums that they are (if they're lazy).
    07-10-11 01:22 AM
    They should go both. Of them
    They can't innovate and keep up. With the latest phones and technologies

07-10-11 12:36 PM
    Jim and Mike have to go. They are both responsible for RIMs success years ago and now it's demise.
    07-12-11 12:53 AM
    Alright guys I get the hint, I'll catch a plane into Waterloo tomorrow and take control of the company.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    07-12-11 01:27 AM
    I did say the PlayBook could have been done better, but they still got it out, and it's comparing very favorably with most other tabs. And hello, why is it so difficult to understand that new phones don't develop themselves overnight. The ones that are coming soon had to have been in the works for a year or more. The delays we're in the tail end of now are the fruits of errors from years ago. We're about to see a whole lot more movement in the next few months than we have in the last few years. Quit being so completely friggin negative, step outside your little world and take a look at the whole picture for a change.
    You're right. They should have been working on competitive phones since 2008 or so. Why has it taken them too long. Denial is that strong?

They thought the iPhone was a myth so blaming Android's "meteoric" rise doesn't work. They're just very bad at being proactive and reacting to market and consumer changes/wants.
    07-12-11 08:04 AM
    You're right. They should have been working on competitive phones since 2008 or so. Why has it taken them too long. Denial is that strong?

They thought the iPhone was a myth so blaming Android's "meteoric" rise doesn't work. They're just very bad at being proactive and reacting to market and consumer changes/wants.
    Completely agree with all points. iPhone changed the game; Android just came along at the right time to take advantage of the trend.

The fact that it took RIM so long to react is problematic, and something the board should have seen and acted on in 2008, as soon as it was abundantly clear to the rest of the world that the iPhone was no myth. That no action was taken at that time could be indicative of a bigger problem: that the co-CEOs wield too much influence for their own good. Which has me thinking that maybe it is a good time to at least split the CEO and chair roles now. But the fact now is that they have finally taken action; it will take at least another six months or so to determine if it is a sufficient step in the right direction, and if it is, if they can sustain the momentum. Regardless of how this fiscal year ends up, the board needs to decide soon if they want to take the chance of being caught flat-footed again with these two. They may be able to weather this storm (no pun intended), but it's highly unlikely they'll survive another one.

Now I'm seeing a new call from RBC to split the company into separate network and handset businesses. Talk about your disruptive transition! Although that strategy definitely has some merit. Should be a very interesting shareholders meeting today.

Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 07-12-11 at 10:32 AM.
    07-12-11 10:29 AM
    Here is where Apple is the exception to the rule:

It is not easy to do a one size fits all type of product (yes, I am looking at you one size tee shirt!) and the iPhone is a little skill and a little luck.

HTC is a profitable little company that Blackberry needs to follow. Just make desireable handsets and give the consumer more choices. Full touch, portrait and landscape keyboards, etc.

But sometimes you are who you are. Consumers are very critical of businesses but everyone is qualified to be a critic.
    07-14-11 09:37 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD