Now that it looks like there will be two new iPhones: 4.5inches and 5.5inches do you think this will make the Z30 almost irrelevant to attracting new BlackBerry converts in addition to the fact that Galaxy S and Note users now have a large iOS option.
    No.

Put iOS7 in my Z30 and I'll drop it like a bad habit.

I wanted to get away from the Apple ecosystem. I also had a DROID X when it was first released and determined in short order I wanted nothing to do with Android. That opinion has never changed.

Sure, the BlackBerry OS has quirks. They ALL do. Sure, there are some things I think were handled better and more elegantly on iOS, but I can make the same converse claim for BB10.

Giving away my age a bit here, but I've been around since the "birth" of the personal computer. My own first PC was a Heath kit build.

I mention that because, inexplicably, I feel a little bit of that excitement from all those years ago, with this BlackBerry phone. I sincerely hope this company pulls victory from the jaws of defeat.

In a nutshell, my iPhone is history, and I don't give a damn what size iPhone Apple releases.
    deptech and SDTRMG like this.
    01-23-14 06:59 PM
    If they were priced at around $250 unlocked on BB site, i would buy one in a heartbeat.
    And that's what BlackBerry needs to do. They need to price their devices VERY competitively in order to have any consumer appeal.

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    01-23-14 07:03 PM
    I am hoping that in the future Foxconn expertise may help BlackBerry make phones with smaller bezels, sharper screens and a larger screen Q30 device.
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-23-14 07:17 PM
    Although I've always been a BlackBerry user, from time to time I've tried an iPhone but have always come back to BlackBerry. Have a Z10, use a Q10 from work, and quickly picked up a Z30 because I saw it as the Z10 in steroids. Everyone I know with an iPhone has really complemented the size of the Z30 and would switch but aren't sold on the OS yet.

Now that it looks like there will be two new iPhones: 4.5inches and 5.5inches do you think this will make the Z30 almost irrelevant to attracting new BlackBerry converts in addition to the fact that Galaxy S and Note users now have a large iOS option.

It so frustrating to know we here at BlackBerry have the best OS/UI and people are afraid of it!

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30 on VZW from Philly
    You can have both phones and enjoy best of both worlds, no?

I mean, the way I look at it, BlackBerry phones are fundamentally different from the way iPhones are meant to be used. The philosophy is different, the usage is different.

If I have to only pick one device given a pool of phones to choose from, with the amount of money to buy the latest iPhone right out of the store (including the ballooned up price for paying people to wait in line etc), I think i can safely buy in an iPhone, and a BlackBerry. If i'm willing to go further, I think I can in an extreme case, squeeze in an iPhone, BlackBerry and squeeze in an Android as well.

To that, my question is of following:

Is it compulsory to only have one phone without having another?
    techvisor likes this.
    01-23-14 07:24 PM
    I previously was an I phone user didn't like em discovered blackberry haven't looked back since but what ever suits.
    deptech and anon6040766 like this.
    01-23-14 07:58 PM
    ...and they (Apple) will sell MILLIONS of them!
    milo53 likes this.
    01-23-14 09:08 PM
    Apple should hold a world record for being the only company to successfully launch the exact same phone product/phone five-six times in a row as a new product.

Iphone 3G = 3Gs, 4, 4s, 5, 5s

Epic win.

Posted via CB10
    I do agree with you but it shows how good their marketing department is.
    01-23-14 09:23 PM
    People care about value for their money and therefore perceived value as well.

Why should I settle with a Z30, if I can get something far better in terms of camera, GPU, CPU, apps, display, customer service, resale value and overall experience for the same price?

It's totally irrational to say what you do.

Posted via CB10
    You don't have to settle with a z30, that's the great thing about choice you can get any device and os you want.

I for one got my z30 for $350 less then it would have cost me to get a 5s, it has NFC, can be used as a USB drive, I can hook up a USB mouse/keyboard, micro-hdmi connection, mobile standards like miracast/dlna and so much more the 5s(or my ip 5) don't have and can't do, that is value to me and I am a customer. In the end it's still my preference.

BlackBerry on the other hand is also not a component and electronics manufacturer there for it cost them more to purchase parts and built phones then it does companies like samsung, LG, Sony, etc. Both Apple and Microsoft use what hardware fits there os, and BlackBerry chooses to so the same, no need to waste money were it's not needed, common business practice.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    Last edited by SDTRMG; 01-23-14 at 10:10 PM.
    01-23-14 09:48 PM
    You don't have to settle with a z30, that's the great thing about choice you can get any device and os you want.
    You obviously didn't understand what I was saying then.
    The "I" in my rhetorical question, was the "I" of the general consumer.
    Why should a consumer want to settle with a Z30, for the non-discounted price?

I for one got my z30 for $350 less then it would have cost me to get a 5s, it has NFC, can be used as a USB drive, I can hook up a USB mouse/keyboard, micro-hdmi connection, mobile standards like miracast/dlna and so much more the 5s(or my ip 5) don't have and can't do, that is value to me and I am a customer. In the end it's still my preference.
    Apparently, these are mostly things that at least 99.8% (0.5 being BB10's share of the phones sold last year. Since we don't know exactly how much the Z30 sold, I gave it a 0.2% share) of the consumers don't care about enough to go with a Z30.

Of course, yes, these are your preferences.
    We can make the observation, that most consumers either don't share them, or think that Android/iOS/WP satisfies their needs even better.
    The USB host mode and the keyboard/mouse thing, isn't exclusive to BB10. Android knows how to do that as well, for example.

Under that premise, I still fail to see what's so incredibly enticing about BB10, for everyone who doesn't already have a phone with the OS.

Btw, a Z30 would cost me sightly less than an iPhone 5s and slightly more than a Note 3.
    Obviously, I didn't upgrade from my Z10.

BlackBerry on the other hand is also not a component and electronics manufacturer there for it cost them more to purchase parts and built phones then it does companies like samsung, LG, Sony, etc. Both Apple and Microsoft use what hardware fits there os, and BlackBerry chooses to so the same, no need to waste money were it's not needed, common business practice.
    You are completely wrong about MS here.
    With Nokia's newest offerings, they officially joined the spec race.
    They now employ 2GB of RAM, 1080p displays, quadcore CPUs and the newest Adreno 330 GPU.
    So yeah, that point rather backfired.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_1520-5760.php

Apple is Apple, and they still excel in certain spec categories.
    A 64 bit processor, a marketleading GPU and a fingerprint sensor for example.

Where you are correct, is that BlackBerry isn't like Samsung, Sony or LG.
    But you fail to realise 2 things:
    1) If BlackBerry can't compete on price and hardware used, then they are just uncompetitive.
    Normally such an enterprise will exit the market sooner or later.

2) The consumer doesn't profit from BlackBerry saving on hardware costs, because he can have better hardware, for a smaller price, if he doesn't buy a BlackBerry.
    That's kind of a problem for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    01-23-14 11:03 PM
    There are plenty of people who will look for screen size first. It will definitely cause some people to look at the iPhones again.
    Totally agree with this

I'm 20 with an iPhone 5s, my sergeant is 43 with a samsung s4 he's not into tech he was just coaxed into getting an android from a feature phone and its funny he loves the big screen, i was trying show him a youtube video and he was like "Load it up on my phone that tiny screen isn't doing it for me" screen sized matter to those who aren't into going online and looking at tech stuff. He played with my z10 back when i had it in september. and i recently told him about the z30 luckily he's on Verizon and said he would love to give it a try just because the screen is big and he liked the functionality of it. and i want a blackberry because of it too. holy crap going from 4.2 to 4.0 makes a big difference i always misspell everything idk if its because of the crappy virtual keyboard but .2 inches does make a difference. (insert "thats what she said" joke) but hopefully tmobile gets the z30 so i can switch back : / not to mention iPhones don't have wifi calling that I'm aware of. >.<
    flacrack and techvisor like this.
    01-24-14 02:08 AM
    I believe that was sarcasm.

Actually, I �hope� the "tools not toys" remark �was� meant as sarcasm... but, I see many posts from folk on CB who appear to believe it absolutely! :P

JBB
    01-24-14 03:01 AM
    Apple should hold a world record for being the only company to successfully launch the exact same phone product/phone five-six times in a row as a new product.

Iphone 3G = 3Gs, 4, 4s, 5, 5s

Epic win.

Posted via CB10

1. You clearly do not know the meaning of the word 'exact'

2. If you think the iPhone 3GS looks anything like the iPhone 5S, you need a new pair of glasses.

This thread is pure comedy though. The iPhone 5S is already slaying the Z30 at retail, nobody will be selling the Z30 when the new iPhone(s) come. Shelf space will be taken up by the Android powerhouses and the new iDevices. Blackberry will probably have a new high end phone by then.
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    01-24-14 04:31 AM
    Actually, I �hope� the "tools not toys" remark �was� meant as sarcasm... but, I see many posts from folk on CB who appear to believe it absolutely! :P

JBB
    Oh come on, the 20 times I used a !, didn't give it away?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-24-14 05:41 AM
    Although I've always been a BlackBerry user, from time to time I've tried an iPhone but have always come back to BlackBerry. Have a Z10, use a Q10 from work, and quickly picked up a Z30 because I saw it as the Z10 in steroids. Everyone I know with an iPhone has really complemented the size of the Z30 and would switch but aren't sold on the OS yet.

It so frustrating to know we here at BlackBerry have the best OS/UI and people are afraid of it!

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30 on VZW from Philly
    For me the drawback with BB10 hardware is the camera (I've not really noticed any difference between Z10, Q10 & Z30 pictures) because they haven't lived up to the standard. I know BBRY haven't been known for good cameras and their latest are better than the legacy units, but in this day and age, I reckon that the camera is just as important as the software. (I think Apple claim the iPhone is the world's most popular camera, even though it's a phone.)

Although I like the software and think the Hub is terrific, I've also had odd problems with software.

As a business user, I don't have the luxury of using something that doesn't always do what it should, even if the OS is still in the developmental stage due to it being so new.

These two reasons may be why there is some hesitancy that keeps new users away...?

I really hope Chen succeeds in turning the business around. There is some way to go and stiff competition to beat before BBRY makes a good come-back, but BBRY under Chen seems to be turning the corner. Let's hope it continues...
    01-24-14 06:04 AM
    I agree, the Z30 just can't compare with the bugs and random reboots of an Android device. Blackberry really needs to build in some of these features to make it easier for Android fans to migrate to a new platform.
    I got the impression that BBRY had built in the randomn re-boots rather too successfully!

Not sure about buggy/laggy Android software, but it may only be on older units? My wife's N5 is smooth and fast, no crashes and no reboots...
    01-24-14 06:17 AM
    Your wifes N5 is a stock Android. Ufortunately once other companies like Samsung (TouchWiz) and LG etc. install their software things can get a bit laggy. Pesonally can't stand Android there is no fluidity in the platform . Oh sure there is a multitude of apps but for me not worth the frustration. The same goes for IOS7 on a 5" or a 4.7" makes no difference just one more crumb to feed the pidgeons.
    01-24-14 06:38 AM
    The public does want the easy (dumbed down) technology. My wife is happy with her iPhone, but I'm frustrated by it's closed architecture.

My Z30 is great and does more than I need.

Sure, there will always be something newer, but practically speaking, the one to two year cycle for a new phone/technology is fine. Unless you're Kevin or evaluating phone who needs the latest all the time.
    01-24-14 07:46 AM
    Didn't apple say 3.5 inches was the perfect size for a phone for one handed uses, anything else would be blasphemy.

Apple is always wrong.

Now they are playing catch up.

Dangerous game.

Posted via CB10
    As long as a home button remains Apples OS will put there product behinds BlackBerry IMO

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 07:57 AM
    As long as a home button remains Apples OS will put there product behinds BlackBerry IMO
    The home button on the iphone will create a great feature in 2014.
    Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 08:30 AM
    I just want a simple z30 upgrade with some improved hardware specs (screen, chip, camera, etc.) that keeps it in the ballpark, but basically is the same size and shape. The important stuff will come from the OS, software, and m2m side.

24C28DD7
    01-24-14 08:50 AM
    I just want a simple z30 upgrade with some improved hardware specs (screen, chip, camera, etc.) that keeps it in the ballpark, but basically is the same size and shape. The important stuff will come from the OS, software, and m2m side.

24C28DD7
    Same goes for me.
    Would probably be my next phone.
    Right now the Z30 isn't on par with the competition, which I find kinda sad, because I was interested in the device, until I saw the official specs.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 08:54 AM
    Tbh the Z30 was pretty outdated right from the gates. Realistically the Z30 with below par specs, lack of carrier support, poor public perception, lack of apps made it where it wasn't considered by anyone. Only people who wanted a Z30 before going into the store got one. So it wasn't ever really an iPhone competitor, or any other phone to be fair. BlackBerry will be focusing on enterprise for a few years and come back with a consumer phone that is truly competitive when they are profitable.

Posted via CB10
    Well Jason9900 obviously you never used the z30 and totally underestimate it's capabilities. You portray same old stereotypical thoughts as most. The hardware combined with the Bb10 os is what drives this device extremely efficient. It takes a combination if both! Wake up and smell the coffee. We have family members with iphones, ipads and the z30 destroys them except for a few apps like instagram and Netflix. PS they never use their phones for Netflix. No HDMI out. Anyhow you don't know what you are talking about.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 09:24 AM
    To be fair I don't believe that it was Apple that stated the 3.5" screen was the sweet spot but rather Steve Jobs (RIP).
    Didn't apple say 3.5 inches was the perfect size for a phone for one handed uses, anything else would be blasphemy.

Apple is always wrong.

Now they are playing catch up.

Dangerous game.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 09:48 AM
    Was the Z30 ever a threat to the existing iPhone outside of the CrackBerry community? I mean the question posed would imply that The Z30 is having phenomenal sales in the 5"+ screen segment when this isn't the case. No matter what BlackBerry releases, or how good it is, it will not compete sales wise with any iPhone or Samsung Galaxy or Note device because BlackBerry doesn't have the ability to market the device, or rehab the brand name. The majority of people don't even know the Z30 exists.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 09:52 AM
    It was clearly a figure of speech smart-***. And by your assumption most if not every iphone that came out has outdated specs.

Just because somethings a year old doesn't mean it's outdated and shouldn't be used. If the bb10 runs perfectly fine on the z30's specs why should BlackBerry as a company have wasted money on better specs.

In a business sense it's a stupid move to make. Apple doesn't, Microsoft doesn't only android oems because it's the only thing they have to compete with each other

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    iphone did not come out with outdated specs. maybe you should do your hw and find out what processor they're using for 5s.

you won't say z30 is running perfectly fine when a year from now they come out with bb11 and it doesn't support it because lack of hardware, or new app that require higher specs. i rather have something future proof for next couple of years than not.
    MarsupilamiX and techvisor like this.
    01-24-14 10:02 AM
195 ... 23456 ...