Didn't apple say 3.5 inches was the perfect size for a phone for one handed uses, anything else would be blasphemy.

Apple is always wrong.

Now they are playing catch up.

Dangerous game.

Posted via CB10
    Funny, most people I've seen with an iPhone holds the small little thing with two hands ..... lol
    01-23-14 03:38 PM
    720p display on a 5 inch screen is still impressive. I'm sure most of us here own laptops with 720p displays.
    On its own yes, 720p isn't bad.
    Compared to the rest of the market, 720p is subpar though.
    And this is a huge problem for the Z30 anyhow.
    Compared to comparatively priced devices, it's worse in every category, except maybe battery life.

(I own a Retina MacBook with 13 inches right now and a Z10)

Until BB10 can outsell BBRY's platform among BBRY's own customers there's no point in considering the effect of other platforms on BB10 sales.
    BB10 doesn't compete with BBOS.
    The essence of the OS, is much closer to Android and iOS.

So of course other players will influence BB10 sales.
    If BB10 would excel in more categories than just security, you should see better sales numbers.

The biggest threat to the z30 are BlackBerry's own legacy devices, which have been outselling all new BB10 models to date. If you think BlackBerry is competing with Apple I guess you have some reading to do.
    Same as I said one paragraph earlier:
    The thought is totally wrong.

Just because BlackBerry isn't able to sell more BB10 devices to BBOS users, doesn't mean in any way that the two OS are competing with each other in terms of what an OS should be able to accomplish.

That BBOS was never intended to be used on a touchscreen, may give you a hint of what I am talking about.

And BlackBerry tries to compete with Apple and Android.
    That they are unable to, in terms of sales, is a completely different theme.

Your logic isn't sound in that post.

BlackBerry actually did this to a much larger extent with legacy devices if you recall. The #1 complaint for years on this site was that there were 20 different models that were are pretty much identical and indistinguishable.
    Here I agree though.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 01-23-14 at 03:53 PM.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-23-14 03:43 PM
    Just my tuppence worth I'm trying out a ifone 5s and it's actually good it takes a bit of getting used to but I loved my z10 still do, unconvinced of what future holds for bb last week in Edinburgh I saw nil z30 in any shop q10 was quite common, it is gorgeous no z10 s anywhere but bloody 9320 9720 everywhere what's going on???
    01-23-14 03:58 PM
    Didn't apple say 3.5 inches was the perfect size for a phone for one handed uses, anything else would be blasphemy.

Apple is always wrong.

Now they are playing catch up.

Dangerous game.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't BlackBerry say touchscreens and cameras do not belong on phones?
    01-23-14 03:59 PM
    Didn't BlackBerry say touchscreens and cameras do not belong on phones?
    Tools not toys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    01-23-14 04:01 PM
    On the subject, did I read the title correctly? A larger iPhone is a threat to the Z30? So, instead of 1.5 million (just making up numbers), due to a larger screen iPhone, only 1.49 million Z30s will be sold?
    01-23-14 04:02 PM
    Already got a lot of apple people complaining to me since ios7. Random reboots/crashes/blue screens of death. This puts no threat on what I get to show off, the devices may be semi solid on hardware but the new os has flopped.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    Yup read an article today about the random reboots problems that iPhone is facing. They are working on it. So not any better than the z10 in the beginning, and that was a totally new OS....

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 04:11 PM
    Tools not toys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    But that's the mentality that almost killed blackberry. Especially when cameras and touchscreens don't fall in the toys category.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-23-14 04:18 PM
    IMO even with the current line-up of competing phones the Z30 isn't actually heavily appealing to the masses. The release of a new iPhone wouldn't make the situation worse IMO: It already is pretty dull.
    On the spec war, the Z30 can't really compete. In terms of pricing, the Z30 can't compete (at least not here). The standalone features like USB OTG aren't really exciting for the masses, even though they're pretty cool. The app situation won't drastically change over night even when 10.2.1 hits . So basicly the OS with it's UX is the most major key selling point of the Z30. This point won't be downrated just because a new iPhone hits the streets.

The Z30 is a good device for sure, yet I highly doubt it has the features or price tag to appeal a large crowd besides BlackBerry fans or interests. I also doubt BBRY will go into a public "battle" with the Z30, it's already too late for that, especially with MWC being around the corner and BBRY wanting to focus on enterprise based customers for now.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    MarsupilamiX and Bsbudd like this.
    01-23-14 04:20 PM
    I've used both... I can't really talk about specs of ppi, but I can tell you that the z30 resolution doesn't look good for its size... the z10 looks better... everything seems stretched out...
    That seems like an aspect ratio thing and a personal preference thing vs. the quality of the screen hardware honestly. I get what you mean though, I didn't like the AMOLED screen of the Q10 personally, but my buddy loves it. I love that bright Z10 look, even if it probably helps suck the battery on it.
    01-23-14 04:23 PM
    I just love my BlackBerry Z30 ,specially its battery life.
    deptech and LooyDaSixteenth like this.
    01-23-14 04:23 PM
    But that's the mentality that almost killed blackberry. Especially when cameras and touchscreens don't fall in the toys category.
    To be fair, I think they get a little extra heat than they should. :-) Everyone was caught flat footed by the iPhone and they did in fact come out with a Touch Screen response in a year or so. As for the legendary "devices don't need cameras", they've had them for years and years and years so I think that gets overblown too.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-23-14 04:24 PM
    Outside of nerdy tech sites like ours, I bet many people don't care about most of the specs. I also find that many people who do care about specs can't demonstrate a practical use for that spec for anything other than bragging rights!

- "It's got a 50 megapixel camera ... but I never print photos and only post snaps to Facebook!"

- "It's got a quad core processor ... but I can't show an app that makes use of that performance in a demonstrateably better way than a dual core"

- "It's got a GPU that pushes this many billion polygons ... except that almost all the games are designed to work on phones with lower specs and none really make use of the power"

- "It's got a 1080p screen ... but I can't really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on such a weeny screen"

To me, specs serve one specific purpose - making sure you have a nice, smooth experience. If your phone (from whatever company) pulls that off with its specs, awesome.
    This is a very well educated post. So refreshing to see.
    01-23-14 04:26 PM
    BB10 does compete with BBOS, since the two are not interoperable. To suggest otherwise is just silly.
    BBOS doesn't compete with BB10 in the way you mean it, and suggesting otherwise is just silly.

They are in completely different segments, as long as consumers are concerned.
    In the enterprise, yes, I agree.
    But this is solely due to BlackBerry's inability to understand when it's time to EOL something.
    And BBOS should have been EOl'ed when BB10 came out.

Another "if", huh?

"Well, if BBRY gets the Storm right, it will kill the iPhone."

"You know, if people just realize how important security is, they'll flock to BBRY."

"If people just realize how important Flash is, they'll flock to PlayBook."

"If BBRY gets BB10 right, it will sell like hotcakes."

For years, I've read arguments here predicated on "ifs" that never occur, like those above. It's time to deal in the present. I agree that if BB10 excelled in more categories, it would sell better, but isn't that true of any product? I mean, if Android excelled in more categories, it would sell better too. The same goes for Windows Phone and iOS.
    You probably should follow your own advice a little, as I didn't use the "IF" to prove how awesome BB10 is.
    I used it to debunk the thought of it being useless to think about what consequences other platforms have on BB10.

If BB10 wouldn't lag behind the competition, then the whole situation would be another one.

You should read a bit more carefully. I never said other players wouldn't influence BB10 sales; I said it wasn't worth worrying about as long as BB10 isn't outselling BBOS.
    Which therefore makes that affirmation wrong.
    BBOS is totally irrelevant in today's market.
    To make comparisons with BBOS is useless, because you compare two unsuccessful operating systems with one another.

The question of what BlackBerry needs to do, to be better than Android/iOS is far more important.

I believe that was sarcasm.
    You do understand me after all

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 04:26 PM
    I believe that was sarcasm.
    Just saw it was in response to bekkay's comment. Now I see it. My bad.
    01-23-14 04:36 PM
    Not sure if the new iPhone will convert or compete with Z30 owners, I do know that I have no plans to convert, I am too happy with my Z30, this thing is awsome.

On a side note, what is with the anti-BlackBerry comments lately, thought this was a fan sight, and why do some not fill in their device and location information, appears suspicious...hummmm

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    01-23-14 04:38 PM
    Apple should hold a world record for being the only company to successfully launch the exact same phone product/phone five-six times in a row as a new product.

Iphone 3G = 3Gs, 4, 4s, 5, 5s

Epic win.

Posted via CB10
    You must have forgot the dozen's of Bold's, Curve's, Tour's and Pearls that pretty much all look alike. Ignorance is bliss.
    kbz1960, techvisor and 93Aero like this.
    01-23-14 05:27 PM
    Well, Apple has to do something. Part of the reason their China launch has been a complete debacle is their screen size is uncompetitive. Android is just blowing them out of the water with 96% of market share. The three other big problems for Apple in China are the lack of ecosystem, an uncompetitive price structure, and arrogance.
    01-23-14 05:50 PM
    Not sure if the new iPhone will convert or compete with Z30 owners, I do know that I have no plans to convert, I am too happy with my Z30, this thing is awsome.

On a side note, what is with the anti-BlackBerry comments lately, thought this was a fan sight, and why do some not fill in their device and location information, appears suspicious...hummmm

I have a Z10, and don't think that the Z30 is worth my money.
    Soooo....

Am I a troll?

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    01-23-14 05:53 PM
    I have had my Z30 since October last year. It is a stunning looking phone and a big improvement on the Z10. I consider the size of this phone to be absolutely perfect and the functionality is superb. My advice would be to purchase one and compare with other makes. You won't be disappointed. It is a fantastic piece of equipment.
    deptech likes this.
    01-23-14 05:55 PM

Yes, this happens from time-to-time. A provocative posting followed by people seemingly agreeing. The whole thing is a bit humorous. Apple fans trying to compare a phone that won't be released for at least 6 months with a phone that was released 6 months ago. Yup, iFans are cutting edge.
    01-23-14 05:56 PM
    Tbh the Z30 was pretty outdated right from the gates. Realistically the Z30 with below par specs, lack of carrier support, poor public perception, lack of apps made it where it wasn't considered by anyone. Only people who wanted a Z30 before going into the store got one. So it wasn't ever really an iPhone competitor, or any other phone to be fair. BlackBerry will be focusing on enterprise for a few years and come back with a consumer phone that is truly competitive when they are profitable.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry but my z30 doesn't not have out of date specs. Sorry it doesn't need 8 cores to run like android.

I use a android, ios, and bb10 daily, and know the ins and outs of each os and the devices I own.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    Last edited by SDTRMG; 01-23-14 at 06:13 PM.
    01-23-14 05:59 PM
    The Z30 is pretty much irrelevant and obsolete as it is, so yes, I would say that the next gen iPhone (and this gen iPhone models as well) is a serious threat to the Z30.

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    bbq10l likes this.
    01-23-14 06:02 PM
    Nah. iPhones are naff, so pass�.
    01-23-14 06:06 PM
    what's with all the stupid posts about the new Iphone on a Blackberry forum. And all those idiots chiming in with their plugs for Apple! Why don't you go to an apple fan site and post this thread!
    If you've got an issue, stay out of the thread. Was merely making the point some people choose a phone with size in mind. Until now, at least Apple couldn't compete with the Z30 from a size perspective that's all. A 5.5 inch would be bigger and compete with the Note. For now on if you you take issue, step aside and go play somewhere else.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30 on VZW from Philly
    Mr.Willie and techvisor like this.
    01-23-14 06:08 PM
195 1234 ...