Although I've always been a BlackBerry user, from time to time I've tried an iPhone but have always come back to BlackBerry. Have a Z10, use a Q10 from work, and quickly picked up a Z30 because I saw it as the Z10 in steroids. Everyone I know with an iPhone has really complemented the size of the Z30 and would switch but aren't sold on the OS yet.

Now that it looks like there will be two new iPhones: 4.5inches and 5.5inches do you think this will make the Z30 almost irrelevant to attracting new BlackBerry converts in addition to the fact that Galaxy S and Note users now have a large iOS option.

It so frustrating to know we here at BlackBerry have the best OS/UI and people are afraid of it!

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30 on VZW from Philly
    01-23-14 12:37 PM
    Now that it looks like there will be two new iPhones: 4.5inches and 5.5inches

And they will still have a home button and the same old worn out OS.
    And I'm sure they will still sell millions, but if someone was seriously looking at BlackBerry over iPhone, the screen size wouldn't be the deciding factor.
    01-23-14 01:20 PM
    Although I've always been a BlackBerry user, from time to time I've tried an iPhone but have always come back to BlackBerry. Have a Z10, use a Q10 from work, and quickly picked up a Z30 because I saw it as the Z10 in steroids. Everyone I know with an iPhone has really complemented the size of the Z30 and would switch but aren't sold on the OS yet.

Now that it looks like there will be two new iPhones: 4.5inches and 5.5inches do you think this will make the Z30 almost irrelevant to attracting new BlackBerry converts in addition to the fact that Galaxy S and Note users now have a large iOS option.

It so frustrating to know we here at BlackBerry have the best OS/UI and people are afraid of it!

Tbh the Z30 was pretty outdated right from the gates. Realistically the Z30 with below par specs, lack of carrier support, poor public perception, lack of apps made it where it wasn't considered by anyone. Only people who wanted a Z30 before going into the store got one. So it wasn't ever really an iPhone competitor, or any other phone to be fair. BlackBerry will be focusing on enterprise for a few years and come back with a consumer phone that is truly competitive when they are profitable.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:34 PM
    Z30s screen is way behind even the iPhone 5 as far as resolution goes...

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    01-23-14 01:38 PM
    Yes. They always have been. People don't even consider blackberry when shopping for a smartphone.
    01-23-14 01:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    720p display on a 5 inch screen is still impressive. I'm sure most of us here own laptops with 720p displays.
    deptech, SDTRMG, kbz1960 and 6 others like this.
    01-23-14 01:41 PM
    Didn't apple say 3.5 inches was the perfect size for a phone for one handed uses, anything else would be blasphemy.

Apple is always wrong.

Now they are playing catch up.

Dangerous game.

Posted via CB10
    merp23, LuisCast, leejayh and 2 others like this.
    01-23-14 01:42 PM
    The new screen size o. The iphone will make my wife happy. She is a DROID user and wants an iphone next. She hates blackberries on principle and would rather go without a phone if blackberry was all that was available.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:42 PM
    Didn't apple say 3.5 inches was the perfect size for a phone for one handed uses, anything else would be blasphemy.

Apple is always wrong.

Now they are playing catch up.

Dangerous game.

Posted via CB10
    That was Steve Jobs Who said that. Since his death look what apple has done. They are fragmenting their products.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:54 PM
    That was Steve Jobs Who said that. Since his death look what apple has done. They are fragmenting their products.

Posted via CB10
    They've done nothing, what have they done.

Playing catch up to Samsung madness like everyone else.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    01-23-14 01:56 PM
    Apple should hold a world record for being the only company to successfully launch the exact same phone product/phone five-six times in a row as a new product.

Iphone 3G = 3Gs, 4, 4s, 5, 5s

Epic win.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd, andy957, deptech and 9 others like this.
    01-23-14 02:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    According to an article I just read on Yahoo yesterday, it stated that in order for the iphone 6 to stay competitive with todays offerings, it would have to have an amoled screen, so that seems to be the direction in which things are going in terms of resolution, especially if you want long lasting battery life.

If they decide to incorporate that into the iphone 6, it will be interesting to see how it plays out
    01-23-14 02:01 PM
    My wife used to doubt BlackBerry but not anymore, her 5 has been problematic since day one and she said she'd be willing to switch next phone to BlackBerry after seeing my phones in action and she loves bbm!

From my new z30
    01-23-14 02:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Huh?

iPhone 5S = 640�1136 pixels at 326 ppi,
    Z30 = 1280 x 720 @ 295 ppi

Doesn't seem all that different really.
    01-23-14 02:03 PM
    People don't buy iPhones for the specs. They buy it for the marketing or because their friends have one, or they have another Apple product like an iPad and then they buy it for the ecosystem.

Don't compare Apple products to any other products on specifications. That's a waste of time.

- R.
    01-23-14 02:05 PM
    People don't buy iPhones for the specs. They buy it for the marketing or because their friends have one, or they have another Apple product like an iPad and then they buy it for the ecosystem.

Don't compare Apple products to any other products on specifications. That's a waste of time.

- R.
    People buy it for the smooth experience. They seem to be doing well in that department. Also the new A7 processor is insane. It can easily dominate Snapdragon 800.
    kbz1960, JeepBB, tack and 4 others like this.
    01-23-14 02:09 PM
    There are plenty of people who will look for screen size first. It will definitely cause some people to look at the iPhones again.
    01-23-14 02:10 PM
    People don't buy iPhones for the specs.
    Outside of nerdy tech sites like ours, I bet many people don't care about most of the specs. I also find that many people who do care about specs can't demonstrate a practical use for that spec for anything other than bragging rights!

- "It's got a 50 megapixel camera ... but I never print photos and only post snaps to Facebook!"

- "It's got a quad core processor ... but I can't show an app that makes use of that performance in a demonstrateably better way than a dual core"

- "It's got a GPU that pushes this many billion polygons ... except that almost all the games are designed to work on phones with lower specs and none really make use of the power"

- "It's got a 1080p screen ... but I can't really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on such a weeny screen"

To me, specs serve one specific purpose - making sure you have a nice, smooth experience. If your phone (from whatever company) pulls that off with its specs, awesome.
    01-23-14 02:15 PM
    Already got a lot of apple people complaining to me since ios7. Random reboots/crashes/blue screens of death. This puts no threat on what I get to show off, the devices may be semi solid on hardware but the new os has flopped.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    ruben1975 likes this.
    01-23-14 02:28 PM
    what's with all the stupid posts about the new Iphone on a Blackberry forum. And all those idiots chiming in with their plugs for Apple! Why don't you go to an apple fan site and post this thread!
    01-23-14 02:32 PM
    Huh?

iPhone 5S = 640�1136 pixels at 326 ppi,
    Z30 = 1280 x 720 @ 295 ppi

Doesn't seem all that different really.
    I've used both... I can't really talk about specs of ppi, but I can tell you that the z30 resolution doesn't look good for its size... the z10 looks better... everything seems stretched out... It's kind of like the problem early android tablets (and still many have)... the iphones resolution looks way better than the z30 and nothing looks stretched and washed out

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-23-14 02:38 PM
    The biggest threat to the z30 are BlackBerry's own legacy devices, which have been outselling all new BB10 models to date. If you think BlackBerry is competing with Apple I guess you have some reading to do.
    JeepBB, Shadowyugi, bbq10l and 2 others like this.
    01-23-14 02:40 PM
    Apple should hold a world record for being the only company to successfully launch the exact same phone product/phone five-six times in a row as a new product.

Iphone 3G = 3Gs, 4, 4s, 5, 5s

Epic win.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry actually did this to a much larger extent with legacy devices if you recall. The #1 complaint for years on this site was that there were 20 different models that were are pretty much identical and indistinguishable.
    01-23-14 02:43 PM
    Just because you put a new cover on it, doesn't make it better.

Apple is famous for making it look new, but really its just the same thing with minor differences. even if they give you a 4.5 and a 5.5 its still going to be the same extremely over used OS that has been the same with IOS was first brought out.

Apple needs to make something that is truly amazing. Everything they have brought out since has been a bland remake of the IPhone 3, IPAD 1, or IPOD touch.

I will never switch back to Android, nor will I ever buy an Apple Product.

Outside of nerdy tech sites like ours, I bet many people don't care about most of the specs. I also find that many people who do care about specs can't demonstrate a practical use for that spec for anything other than bragging rights!

- "It's got a 50 megapixel camera ... but I never print photos and only post snaps to Facebook!"

- "It's got a quad core processor ... but I can't show an app that makes use of that performance in a demonstrateably better way than a dual core"

- "It's got a GPU that pushes this many billion polygons ... except that almost all the games are designed to work on phones with lower specs and none really make use of the power"

- "It's got a 1080p screen ... but I can't really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on such a weeny screen"

To me, specs serve one specific purpose - making sure you have a nice, smooth experience. If your phone (from whatever company) pulls that off with its specs, awesome.
    I agree with you 100%
    silversmith75 and twirlyboy like this.
    01-23-14 02:55 PM
    You all forget that 2014 is not the Year of High End Hardware for BB. They need this year to build up the software side and start promotions of the other businesses. North American consumer phones are a distant thought. I think we all have to admit that.

The new iPhone will copy all that is good from BB10 as they copy all that is good from everyone else, including their own app developers. I think the home button will either be gone, in favor of all swipes, or perhaps a soft home button if they think the fans can't tolerate the change. They will also reproduce the Hub while at the same time, not admitting what a great idea it is.
    Blackberry's path is in another direction for now. When the enterprise portion comes out from it's media induced cloud and other businesses take off, BB high end phones will again be seen in consumer hands. Not this year though.
    Anthony_2u likes this.
    01-23-14 02:59 PM
195 123 ...