first of all,i have a touch pro that i kinda love and am used to,so this blackberry is foreign to me in many ways.
    my daughter will be 9 in january,so i figured id pick her up a blackberry curve.
    got her a sweet ed hardy case,and shes pimpin.
    problem is,im clueless about it.
    she wants to watch videos and whatnot,and i couldnt seem to get it goin.
    are there any tweaks u guys could help me with?
    11-15-09 07:41 PM
    Are you fo real? 9? At 9 I had a pretend phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 07:49 PM
    yes.
    shes had a phone for a coupla years.
    shes had a rant,an instinct and now a blackberry.
    can u help me out instead of passing judgement?
    thanks in advance
    11-15-09 07:52 PM
    0_o dang!!! A 8900 at the age of 9?!?! Personally I think its a little much, but you can watch youtube vids through youtube.com. Other than that you can upload them onto a micro SD card for playback there.

11-15-09 08:24 PM
    Damn, a blackberry at 9 years old? Lucky child. I didnt have anything like that till I was 15.

Anyway, just keep playing around with it, you will get the hang of it. Read the manual too, it explains how to use it pretty well. Just take some time to sit down and go over it slowly, it will come to you. Thats what I had to do with my Pearl Flip, and now using it is just as easy as any other cell phone.
    11-15-09 08:32 PM
    what about unlocking it?
    11-15-09 08:37 PM
    ok go to the top of the page to the blackberry help and go view the blackberry 101 guide it will be very helpful and answer any questions you will have.

thats one lucky kid!

if its on a cdma network why would you want to unlock it? you cant take it over seas or to another cdma network and other than that there is no reason to unlock.
    11-15-09 08:41 PM
    ok go to the top of the page to the blackberry help and go view the blackberry 101 guide it will be very helpful and answer any questions you will have.

thats one lucky kid!

if its on a cdma network why would you want to unlock it? you cant take it over seas or to another cdma network and other than that there is no reason to unlock.
    im clueless.
    to tweak my phone,i had to unlock it first,then start flashing roms.
    anything like that an option with this phone?
    11-15-09 08:48 PM
    i take it you have an android device?

on Blackberries you only unlock a phone to bring it to another network like if i bought a tmobile phone and wanted to use it on AT&T.

with a network like sprint there are no sim cards your locked to sprint. Themes can be installed without unlocking the device just like installing any app there is very little reason to unlock the device.

here the blackberry 101 section BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com

that will explain how to do everything with the device.
    11-15-09 09:02 PM
    wow...i'm just trying to figure out why a 9 year old would need a phone, let alone a BB...especially one with data...
    11-15-09 09:09 PM
    shes my princess and she does great in school and is an all around great polite respectable kid,so i love to shower with gifts..
    11-15-09 09:22 PM
    wow...i'm just trying to figure out why a 9 year old would need a phone, let alone a BB...especially one with data...
    no kidding hey? haha why dont you hook her up with an account on here and we can help her out!!
    11-15-09 09:23 PM
    shes my princess and she does great in school and is an all around great polite respectable kid,so i love to shower with gifts..
    I'd love to see what she'll get when she graduates high school.. lol
    11-15-09 09:37 PM
    i take it you have an android device?
    He has a Touch Pro. On WM devices you have to "unlock" them in a sense to able to load a cooked ROM, not the same kind of unlocking that us in the BB world are used to. To the OP, the closest thing to a cooked ROM you will find in the Blackberry world is leaked OS's that pop up in the forums on a regular basis. There is no unlocking involved with loading them, but you will be able to find instructions in the forums on how to load one if you wanted to.
    11-15-09 10:12 PM
    My 8 yr old daughter has been asking for a phone. I told her that she can have one at the same age her older sister got her first phone, 12 yrs old.
    11-15-09 10:14 PM
    My 9 year old has a phone, she uses it only when she is out on Girl Scout trips. It's a Moto RAZR V3.
    11-15-09 10:23 PM
    A 9yo with a BB! I had to wait until I was 30 just to get my first cell phone. My kids had to wait until they could pay for it themselves so it was 16 or 17. My youngest who is 15 just now got a prepaid Net10 that she paid for herself. If she doesn't have money she doesn't get minutes.

But anyway, if you search and read you'll find everything you need to know. It's always best to search first before asking questions or get upset people because the answers are here already.

11-15-09 10:55 PM
    He has a Touch Pro. On WM devices you have to "unlock" them in a sense to able to load a cooked ROM, not the same kind of unlocking that us in the BB world are used to. To the OP, the closest thing to a cooked ROM you will find in the Blackberry world is leaked OS's that pop up in the forums on a regular basis. There is no unlocking involved with loading them, but you will be able to find instructions in the forums on how to load one if you wanted to.
    ooo i know with android devices you have to root(basically unlock them) to install cooked ROMs so i assumed thats what he was referring to. i dont know anything about WM devices.
    11-16-09 12:37 AM
    I did not mean to pass judgment but honestly, at nine, I was up to no good. I wanted to.. Lets say... Find out stuff about everything. And there was no way in **** I or anyone my age would be handed a device that I could use to be in contact with whomever I wanted whenever I wanted, let alone on the internet.

11-16-09 01:35 AM
    I'm afraid we can't compare this generation with ours, my two year old girl has been using my laptop for a while now, usually watching cartoons on the BBC Iplayer and mickey mouse on youtube. She can work the mousepad really well and even adjusts the volume etc on the screen. I can't even begin to imagine what she'll do when she'll be 9.

11-16-09 03:27 AM
    I can't say anything, next year when I upgrade my daughter will get my Curve for her B'day and she will be five. I like the idea of her holding a trackable gps unit.

Anyhow, get orb or slingbox and while your out she can watch house tv on it. Or find movies/shows to download on computer then transfer them to BB
    11-16-09 03:49 AM
    I'm afraid we can't compare this generation with ours, my two year old girl has been using my laptop for a while now, usually watching cartoons on the BBC Iplayer and mickey mouse on youtube. She can work the mousepad really well and even adjusts the volume etc on the screen. I can't even begin to imagine what she'll do when she'll be 9.

yea this is so true a lot of us think back to being 9 and many of us don't realize cell phone were not that main stream so it is really not that odd to think of children with phones. do they need smartphones? no of course not but there are countless BB owners who do not NEED them. so if the parent can afford it so be it.
    11-16-09 03:56 AM
    Jealousy will get you nowhere, all y'all. And if your opinion is that WAH should or should not reward his daughter doing well in school with a BlackBerry, or whatever he or she pleases, you are passing judgment.

WAH. check out blackberry.com . You can download full manuals in PDF format for every BlackBerry, and it has lots of tips and tricks. Of course, you can always search through, and read subjects on almost anything BB-related in the forums on this site.

Have fun!
    11-16-09 04:17 AM
    Probably best she has a blackberry, she'll be typing away to her friends rather then talking on it

11-16-09 07:27 AM
    yes.
    shes had a phone for a coupla years.
    shes had a rant,an instinct and now a blackberry.
    can u help me out instead of passing judgement?
    thanks in advance
    Folks,

The OP has a good point! It is up to the parent to decide what is appropriate for their own child. Many may feel that 9 is too young for a cell phone, let alone a smart phone (I feel this way myself). HOWEVER it is the parent's choice to make, so lets just try to help them WITHOUT condemnation.
    11-16-09 07:47 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD