I agree that the new BlackBerries are priced too high, but when it comes to the iPhone 5 you are speculating since you have no idea at what price point it will come out. It's not even announced yet. Also, the iPhone 4 is a year old so I doubt that it is a real competitor to the new Berries. I think most people who wanted one have bought one by now.
    Only problem is that the iPhone4 is packn parity better scores thatln an f the new BBs... and its a year old

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 03:49 AM
    Only problem is that the iPhone4 is packn parity better scores thatln an f the new BBs... and its a year old

Sorry, I can't seem to understand what you're saying.

Anyways, look at it this way. The new BBs are on par with high-end devices hardware-wise (except those dual cores), and RIM surely wants their premium reputation back. If the all new, super cool BlackBerries come out with a mid-range price tag, people will perceive them as mid-range.

At launch, these phones are launching as the premium devices they are. I am not arguing that they are too expensive and would love to get one for cheap, but from RIM's side of things and positioning, I would do the same thing. Eventually, price should come down.
    08-06-11 05:09 AM

Anyways, look at it this way. The new BBs are on par with high-end devices hardware-wise (except those dual cores), and RIM surely wants their premium reputation back. If the all new, super cool BlackBerries come out with a mid-range price tag, people will perceive them as mid-range.

At launch, these phones are launching as the premium devices they are. I am not arguing that they are too expensive and would love to get one for cheap, but from RIM's side of things and positioning, I would do the same thing. Eventually, price should come down.
    Yes they are specs wise xcept dual core
    But, without a front facing camera, and a good display like retina or superamoled+

08-06-11 10:44 AM
    I agree that the new BlackBerries are priced too high, but when it comes to the iPhone 5 you are speculating since you have no idea at what price point it will come out. It's not even announced yet. Also, the iPhone 4 is a year old so I doubt that it is a real competitor to the new Berries. I think most people who wanted one have bought one by now.
    iphone is $199, every year, new androids are $199, google and apple have set the standard, apple won't charge more than that. the troublesome stats are the ones that show only 4% of people polled want a blackberry as their next device, according to comscore, which every cites, including history, as accurate polling. so if only 4% of people want it, how can you sell them to the other 96% by offering a higher pricepoint than the phones the other people actually want, pricing is really all RIM could compete with till QNX and these phones are $100 more expensive than the cream of the crop everyone wants? it's going to be a LOT worse in waterloo until qnx handsets come out.

as far as people not wanting an iphone 4, the 3gs still sells well because they offer it cheaply, see how that works. mark my words, after the iphone 5 comes out and the 4's price drops, the 4 will outsell every new BB model.
    08-06-11 11:33 AM
    I'm thinking of switching to Android because of the same price the berries are/and or cheaper than them. Androids have so much more specs. Yes I am a die hard BB user but I think its time to move on? I'm just not sure yet. I think the Berries shouldn't be more than 500 (including tax) Tax here is 12% so if a phone is 599 it comes to 672 dollars.

08-06-11 01:41 PM

08-06-11 01:41 PM
    they will shrink them down after a bit. you will get the diehard guys that will be lining up to get it but when the rush is done they will drop the prices. its all about how much money carriers can squeeze out of us.
    08-06-11 01:45 PM
    The Torch is still 624 here. The Bold is 499. The curves are 350.

08-06-11 01:49 PM
    I agree that the new BlackBerries are priced too high, but when it comes to the iPhone 5 you are speculating since you have no idea at what price point it will come out.
    It will be the same prices every prior subsidized iPhone has run: $199/$299 in the U.S. If the prices change, it will be to lower points, not higher ones.

As for BlackBerry prices, you can't on the one hand describe these devices as premium, then at the same time complain they are too expensive at these prices.
    08-06-11 03:10 PM
    Only problem is that the iPhone4 is packn par or better specs than any of the new BBs... and its a year old

Excuse me, I let autocorrect get the best of me in that case.

No one is going to argue that the new phones are indeed on par with most of the single core phones out there. Problem is the the price is not on par with them or even the Dual Core phones. I think they are being outlandish by charging that much for devices that arent even the best out there.
    08-06-11 04:56 PM
    iphone is $199, every year, new androids are $199, google and apple have set the standard, apple won't charge more than that. the troublesome stats are the ones that show only 4% of people polled want a blackberry as their next device, according to comscore, which every cites, including history, as accurate polling. so if only 4% of people want it, how can you sell them to the other 96% by offering a higher pricepoint than the phones the other people actually want, pricing is really all RIM could compete with till QNX and these phones are $100 more expensive than the cream of the crop everyone wants? it's going to be a LOT worse in waterloo until qnx handsets come out.

as far as people not wanting an iphone 4, the 3gs still sells well because they offer it cheaply, see how that works. mark my words, after the iphone 5 comes out and the 4's price drops, the 4 will outsell every new BB model.
    Apple sets the prices, I agree. People were surprised when the iPad prices were announced. That set the price points for every other tablet. The phones will be the same. Carriers will drop the BB prices like crazy if the sales stagnate and the iPhone 5 lands at $199..
    08-06-11 07:10 PM
    if rim decides to make these devices premium price,then they are foolishly dumb.these os 7 devices still have the native blackberry os.qnx devices is where rim should apply the high price.qnx is the new philosphy for rim.i really don't think apple is going to change their new iphone price because their price has been a fixture evey year.
    08-06-11 08:36 PM
    well, having seen some contract prices come out so far in the UK, prices seem `normal` for the higher end of the phone scale, which lets be under no assumptions these arent underpowered or anything, sure some phones have dual cores (with a single core based OS lol) but nobodys making you buy anything.
    08-06-11 09:49 PM
    At first I was a little freaked out and mad, however after the Android player late freakout that turned out to be Engadget spreading bunk, I'll wait to see how much these bad boys are when I go to buy them, and how they feel and operate in the store. If they have the same processor as a Thunderbolt, premium web and media experience, and the OS is fluid and great to use, then what is the issue? Also these carriers know that for Blackberry die hards, there has been a drought and people have been dying for new devices... They will probably try to take advantage of the early adopters.
    08-06-11 09:55 PM
    yeah ur right its so expensive these days
    08-08-11 05:44 PM
    Excuse me, I let autocorrect get the best of me in that case.

No one is going to argue that the new phones are indeed on par with most of the single core phones out there. Problem is the the price is not on par with them or even the Dual Core phones. I think they are being outlandish by charging that much for devices that arent even the best out there.
    DamnYouAutoCorrect much? lol

Well, remember the Revolution, the Optimus Black, and all that crop, those phones aren't old at all, yet they came out with premium price tags, even if the SGS2, G2x, Sensation, etc were already out...

It will be the same prices every prior subsidized iPhone has run: $199/$299 in the U.S. If the prices change, it will be to lower points, not higher ones.

As for BlackBerry prices, you can't on the one hand describe these devices as premium, then at the same time complain they are too expensive at these prices.
    Thank you, that's my point. These are premium devices, as such, they should be priced as premium devices. Prices will eventually fall, and be more reasonable, but at launch don't complain. Thing is, more than what they are actually worth, it is a perceived value.

For example, let's take the iPhone, which is already over a year old, in my carrier, it is still as expensive as day one, price hasn't dropped, even if my carrier has all the dual-core phones as well. The iPhone enjoys a status of premium device, even if the technology is lacking now, and it sells as such. RIM wants to do the same at the beginning, marking these as premium high-end devices, hence a higher price tag. (Not to mention, they do have to make money from them )
    08-09-11 04:50 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD