Hey everyone,

Just picked up my first BlackBerry yesterday, a verizon Bold 9650 to replace my now broken (not to mention POS) pre plus I've had for nearly a year. I already really like the phone and am finding that it is very easy to navigate! Now for my question: After doing a little snooping around on the forums, I have have heard some talk about the BB6 OS and installing it on phones similar to mine, however, is this update really worth it? And, if so, will it void my warranty? Also, are there any tips or tricks you think every newbie should know?
    01-24-11 06:38 PM
    It will not void your warranty. I would read BlackBerry 101 before deciding to upgrade to OS6. Give 5.0 a try first, and see how you like it. Once you decide, then you can upgrade.

No reason to fix what isn't broken is what I am trying to say.
    01-24-11 06:42 PM
    Installing Software doesn't void a warranty automatically. Opening up the housing, on the other hand, does.

Some people hate OS6, while many of us love it. I would probably get used to what tou have now and then give it a comparison run. You can always downgrade if it isn't for you.

Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums! I'll leave some room for others to share their ideas and tips. Enjoy your Bold!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 06:43 PM
    Since you're new to BlackBerry - I would recommend upgrading to OS 6 as soon as you can so you can get used to that instead.
    01-24-11 07:09 PM
    I think the big thing about OS6 and people either liking it or hating it is the fact that if you get a chance to play with it on a touch screen ie Torch, and then go back to non touch ie the Bold you'll hate it. Being a new OS6 user, I've come to love it and only problem I've encounter has to do with the updates and not the OS should actually work.

Since your a new BB user and don't use the touchscreen BB I'd guess you'd like the upgrade. That being said, if you decide to upgrade be willing to deal with little issues that have to do with upgrades, and if not look at the comments in the forum for the latest version and if your willing to give it a shot then do so.

Also I'd take Heavy Fluid advice and check out Blackberry 101
    01-24-11 07:13 PM
    Thanks for all the responses guys! So judging by what you guys have said, os 6 would be something for me to at least try out. Do you guys know where I could maybe find a walkthrough for the installation? Thanks again

01-24-11 07:47 PM
    Thanks for all the responses guys! So judging by what you guys have said, os 6 would be something for me to at least try out. Do you guys know where I could maybe find a walkthrough for the installation? Thanks again

Download blackberry desktop manager and do it through that.
    forum:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/
    also:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E
    Last edited by Shodan775; 01-24-11 at 08:11 PM.
    01-24-11 08:07 PM
    For all my OS upgrades I go to options/advanced/updates...

Many have problems doing it this way, its always been flawless for me.

01-24-11 08:15 PM
    Verizon JUST released 431

01-24-11 08:22 PM
    Verizon JUST released 431

Where when and how do I get my hands on it? xD
    01-24-11 08:29 PM
    Go to blackberry.com you'll find the down load. Select verzion and yiur set.

01-24-11 09:22 PM
    I strongly recommend sticking to what you got on your 9650 until you're really comfortable using it, then upgrade once an official release is ready.

01-24-11 10:14 PM
    Sorry if incompetent, but after doing some looking around on the BB website I failed to find any download links for the os6...only a link to update my phone as I would with the desktop manager. Other than that, Ive only found a few links to leaked versions of the os for sprint phones. Am I looking in the wrong place?
    01-25-11 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD