I downloaded it... but big whoop. You have to access the icon for the gmail account, not the Messages app. Otherwise there isn't any difference (except remote search works from Messages).

If I have to use a seperate app to access the new features, I might as well use the Google Gmail app. It gives true IMAP access to gmail.
    Yeah I noticed that as well. I prefer to use the Messages app for my 5 email addresses rather than clog up my homescreen with email icons. Google will probably find a solution, they are good like that.
    08-22-09 11:19 AM
    I like the new functionality, true. Just last night I got a hack to work by 0mie that allowed me to customize my personal mail icons, so the extra icons don't bother me especially if I can dictate what I want them to look like. HOWEVER, with this new plugin feature, I tried the hack again and now it doesn't work. It only displays the default mail icon which makes me way mad.
    08-22-09 11:23 AM
    With all the conflicting reports on this plugin, I keep wondering if I should install it or just wait to see if something better comes out (in a future update). I guess the things I keep wondering:

How big is the install? 200K? 800K?
    Do you still get GMail pushed to your BB?
    HTML?

I think the break-away from the messages folder is a mistake. Even FB messages show up in the messages folder (if configured to do so) and open FB for actual viewing of the messages. I would have hoped that the GMail plugin would at least do the same thing.
    08-22-09 12:18 PM
    After installing and rebooting I no longer have active content display on my home screen. Anyone else notice this?
    08-22-09 01:01 PM
    I guess the things I keep wondering:

How big is the install? 200K? 800K?
    Do you still get GMail pushed to your BB?
    HTML?

I think the break-away from the messages folder is a mistake. Even FB messages show up in the messages folder (if configured to do so) and open FB for actual viewing of the messages. I would have hoped that the GMail plugin would at least do the same thing.
    Not sure I remember the size... I'm thinking around 400K.

You still get notifications the same way, and messages still appear in your Messages app. So you really don't see a difference there. But really, unless you use the plugin app (via the gmail account icon), you won't notice any changes.

My complaint is that I access all my messages from the Messages app, and don't really like having to go from app to app to access my email. Others don't care (or even like it).

So I doubt I will really use the new features. If I want the same thing (and much more), I would use the Google GMail App.

(Edit: Hoorah!!! I am no longer a newbie with this post. I'm a real user now.)
    Last edited by Hoochie-Coo; 08-22-09 at 01:30 PM.
    08-22-09 01:28 PM
    Ill just keep it for now if I ever need to search for mails.

P.S. Blah it adds an icon on the "app switcher", another thing to scroll away from.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Zenitsu; 08-22-09 at 07:51 PM.
    08-22-09 07:48 PM
    Not sure I remember the size... I'm thinking around 400K.

You still get notifications the same way, and messages still appear in your Messages app. So you really don't see a difference there. But really, unless you use the plugin app (via the gmail account icon), you won't notice any changes.

My complaint is that I access all my messages from the Messages app, and don't really like having to go from app to app to access my email. Others don't care (or even like it).

So I doubt I will really use the new features. If I want the same thing (and much more), I would use the Google GMail App.

(Edit: Hoorah!!! I am no longer a newbie with this post. I'm a real user now.)
    Make no mistakes about it... You are still a noob
    08-22-09 11:07 PM
    Yeah. I do not like having to open a seperate app for this. Its useless to me, because thats just creating more work. I thought I would like it. But that is too cumbersome. I don't need that many icons on my screen.
    08-22-09 11:38 PM
    Gave this a shot, and while I was hopeful I would like it, that does not seem to be the case. Until they figure out how to integrate this plug-in with the universal message inbox and do a two-way sync, this is really not very helpful. Definitely a step in the right direction though!
    08-24-09 04:06 PM
    Deleted all my mails the moment I installed it! I thought, "well, not to worry, there must be a way to download old mails since BBs' primary function is emails". But guess what? I bloody can't!! Its simply absurd! Uninstalled it in the hope of my old mails magically re-appearing but no luck! Stay away from this so called ' enhanced plug-in' (should be 'plug-your-mails-out'!) if you value old mails.

Nevertheless, anyone know of a method to download old mails? Tried marking them 'unread' from the pc but no luck.

08-25-09 12:00 AM
    I'm very confused by the gmail plugin and IMAP. I got IMAP working with gmail some months ago by using a workaround I found somewhere on the internet of setting it up on the BIS (...blackberry.net) from my desktop PC. That involved not entering a password until BIS is forced to offer the opportunity to enter details manually. Then you can enter the gmail imap server info and things worked quite well. Especially good for me is that all emails sent from the BB handheld were shown on gmail labeled as Sent Items

So I deleted that account and reentered it in the same way and received an automated message on my BB telling me I could download the new plugin. I did that and installed it successfully. As soon as I tried to use it, it requested me to setup my gmail account again using the handheld setup routine. There seemed to be no way in without doing this, so I did it and now I seem to have lost IMAP and be back to a POP connection. The BIS account when looked at on blackberry.net has lost its tab with advanced details showing the imap server, and in gmail settings it now shows both POP and IMAP enabled, whereas previously I had POP disabled and IMAP enabled. And emails sent from the BB no longer show up as Sent Items on the gmail website.

The plugin has some nice features that I'd like to use, but not at the expense of no longer having emails sent from the handheld automatically showing up on the gmail website as Sent. BIS can be very frustrating! Can anyone who's gotten this working help me out here? (briankeith513, maybe, if you would be so kind?). Thank you very much.
    08-25-09 08:04 PM
    have anyone confirmed if is this only for the US carriers?

08-25-09 08:15 PM
    I have 2 gmail accounts. Is there a way to make it work with both accounts? Currrently it is only working for one of the accounts, though I deleted and re added them both.
    08-25-09 11:04 PM
    i downloaded. I noticed the new labels function. but tis annoying to have another mail icon on the homescreen

oh, and after being only 60% satisfied with it, I would get an "app crash" error 4 minutes after reboot. After this happened 3 times in a row, i removed it.

best luck to google to update this....(I am really looking forward to threaded email in BIS)
    08-25-09 11:10 PM
    I have installed it, only clicked on the link fr one of the accounts to install,
    got 3 additional mailboxes, the old ones initially were still there but disappeared once I clicked on the new ones..
    notice my memory being zapped quite dramtically.. I have not installed any other app apart fr this so wondering whether there is a memory issue with this plug-in?
    Anyone else have memory issues?

08-26-09 08:08 AM
    eh, could take it or leave it
    08-27-09 01:56 AM
    This app has HUGE problems. This app nearly crashed by blackberry. It uses a huge amount of memory. It integrated well for one of my gmail accounts, but appeared to require a separate download for each of my other gmail accounts, which I didn't have space for. And I didn't have the option of using the program for only one of my accounts, because the presence of the program disabled every other account on the system, even after I deleted and re-associated them. There is no mention on google's web site of how one can associate multiple email addresses with the program, and posting to google's forum has yielded no responses. Even the tech people at RIM don't know what to do. Major Bummer. If anyone has a solution, I'd be grateful.
    08-29-09 03:25 AM
    Yes you can synch the 8800 with Outlook. You will need to install the Desktop Manager software that comes with the BB and use that to synch.

08-29-09 06:25 AM
    Deleted all my mails the moment I installed it! I thought, "well, not to worry, there must be a way to download old mails since BBs' primary function is emails". But guess what? I bloody can't!! Its simply absurd! Uninstalled it in the hope of my old mails magically re-appearing but no luck! Stay away from this so called ' enhanced plug-in' (should be 'plug-your-mails-out'!) if you value old mails.

Nevertheless, anyone know of a method to download old mails? Tried marking them 'unread' from the pc but no luck.

Why did you delete all mail? Just delete the email account not the messages. To "restore" them you can either use your most recent Desktop Manager backup file or you can go to gmail and delete the messages (so they go to trash) and then tell each one to move to Inbox. That should repush them (it does for me)
    08-29-09 07:21 AM
    I'm very confused by the gmail plugin and IMAP. I got IMAP working with gmail some months ago by using a workaround I found somewhere on the internet of setting it up on the BIS (...blackberry.net) from my desktop PC. That involved not entering a password until BIS is forced to offer the opportunity to enter details manually. Then you can enter the gmail imap server info and things worked quite well. Especially good for me is that all emails sent from the BB handheld were shown on gmail labeled as Sent Items

So I deleted that account and reentered it in the same way and received an automated message on my BB telling me I could download the new plugin. I did that and installed it successfully. As soon as I tried to use it, it requested me to setup my gmail account again using the handheld setup routine. There seemed to be no way in without doing this, so I did it and now I seem to have lost IMAP and be back to a POP connection. The BIS account when looked at on blackberry.net has lost its tab with advanced details showing the imap server, and in gmail settings it now shows both POP and IMAP enabled, whereas previously I had POP disabled and IMAP enabled. And emails sent from the BB no longer show up as Sent Items on the gmail website.

The plugin has some nice features that I'd like to use, but not at the expense of no longer having emails sent from the handheld automatically showing up on the gmail website as Sent. BIS can be very frustrating! Can anyone who's gotten this working help me out here? (briankeith513, maybe, if you would be so kind?). Thank you very much.
    BIS is using IMAP by default for GMail since BIS 2.6 was released.
    08-29-09 10:45 AM
    do I have to get messages in the bb email and in gmail?
    08-30-09 01:02 PM
    i just deleted the gmail plug in, almost no usefulness at all. memory hog, only adds functions if you use the extra email icon, functions do not work in your regular mailbox icon. i wounder if they did any testing at all before release. my berry locked up with it installed, i never have it lock up! seems like if you really want those functions and an extra icon to access them, just get the gmail app from Google on your berry, it works.
    09-03-09 11:42 AM
    i dumped it too. i didnt find it useful.
    09-03-09 11:54 AM
    I installed it, and ever since I did, I delete the email on my BB and it doesn't get deleted from my inbox. When I check gmail from my PC it's still there.

What will fix this? It used to work before.
    09-03-09 03:36 PM
    Cool... I'm a GMail users... this new function will be very useful! XD
    09-04-09 04:37 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD