Didn't know if this has been posted yet or not but it being reported on HowardForums that gmail & RIM are making some changes.

Here is the link:
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - New gmail functionality for BIS users!

Here is the highlights:

Effective tomorrow (8/22/09), gmail users will have enhanced functionality for gmail accounts associated with their BBs. To get it, if you currently have a gmail account on your BB, log in to your uscellular.blackberry.com account, remove any gmail accounts, then readd them (this should be done on/after 8/22). Once this is done, you'll get the following new functionality:

Add/view labels and stars for easy filtering! (this applies to labels and stars created from the device)

Search: search your entire Gmail mailbox from your BlackBerry! (select "remote" in the search type box)

Actions: Archive and Report as Spam!

Enhanced User Interface: Conversation and threaded view of email messages!

This is being done by RIM, so affects all BIS users, as long as you are running OS version 4.5 or higher.
    Last edited by UPEngineer; 08-22-09 at 09:43 AM.
    08-21-09 09:50 PM
    Hmm I might consider switching my non isp email to gmail... Thanks for the post!
    08-21-09 10:36 PM
    Awesome to see the update
    08-21-09 10:39 PM
    So this is for everyone and not just US Cellular customers?
    08-21-09 10:43 PM
    I would assume that RIM wouldnt do this just for a smaller, regional carrier.

It was just posted in a US Cellular forum is why it shows the us cellular blackberry email address.

Just my 2 cents.
    08-21-09 10:46 PM
    I would assume that RIM wouldnt do this just for a smaller, regional carrier.

It was just posted in a US Cellular forum is why it shows the us cellular blackberry email address.

Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, I think you're right.
    08-21-09 10:51 PM
    Sounds cool. How far away can Yahoo be?
    08-21-09 11:09 PM
    Cool deal!
    08-22-09 01:59 AM
    I just removed/re-added my Gmail account, and was prompted on my BlackBerry to download the "Enhanced Gmail(TM) Plugin" and install it. Unfortunately, I can't archive or label e-mails, etc, unless I open them from a specific inbox for said Gmail account. If I open the message in my main "Messages" inbox, the extra options don't show up. =\

--EDIT--

Also, the Gmail inboxes on my phone each have a different icon than the non-Gmail inboxes. It doesn't just use the inbox icon from my current theme.. so they look tres out of place.
    Last edited by NobleArc; 08-22-09 at 03:36 AM. Reason: updated info
    08-22-09 03:34 AM
    Not working for me and e-mail currently not working on my blackberry..... wow what bad luck. =(
    08-22-09 04:02 AM
    If it works well...certainly good news! I will wait for a couple more days for any issues to self resolve and take feedback from you guys before doing it:-)
    08-22-09 05:04 AM
    I installed this.. unfortunately the plug-in doesn't appear to work if gmail is configured on the BIS using imap. Unless... of course, someone knows how to do this?
    08-22-09 07:05 AM
    I installed this.. unfortunately the plug-in doesn't appear to work if gmail is configured on the BIS using imap. Unless... of course, someone knows how to do this?
    Question: why would you use IMAP for gmail anyway?
    08-22-09 07:41 AM
    Nice functions, but it's still not what they need! It need to mark things on your phone read when you read them online
    08-22-09 08:28 AM
    I will be giving it a shot when I get home. Sounds very promising.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 08:56 AM
    It works fine for me, but doesn't display any different email icons than before. Also, it actually REQUIRES that gmail be used with IMAP.
    08-22-09 09:08 AM
    Question: why would you use IMAP for gmail anyway?
    Why wouldn't you use IMAP? Works best.

08-22-09 09:16 AM
    No love for Google Apps users on this one.
    08-22-09 09:24 AM
    Can't wait to use it!

08-22-09 09:30 AM
    I downloaded it... but big whoop. You have to access the icon for the gmail account, not the Messages app. Otherwise there isn't any difference (except remote search works from Messages).

If I have to use a seperate app to access the new features, I might as well use the Google Gmail app. It gives true IMAP access to gmail.
    08-22-09 10:22 AM
    I downloaded it... but big whoop. You have to access the icon for the gmail account, not the Messages app. Otherwise there isn't any difference (except remote search works from Messages).

If I have to use a seperate app to access the new features, I might as well use the Google Gmail app. It gives true IMAP access to gmail.
    I always use the icon for the gmail app anyway, and the new features are very good, and come in handy. It's actually a very good thing.
    08-22-09 10:32 AM
    I always use the icon for the gmail app anyway, and the new features are very good, and come in handy. It's actually a very good thing.
    Then why even use the BB GMail plugin? Why not just use the Google GMail app? You would then have true IMAP access... which gives you 2-way sync (not really "sync" since you are seeing the actual mailbox). Not to mention offline composing, multiple drafts, and access to other GMail folders.
    08-22-09 10:46 AM
    Is this update available for UK users?
    08-22-09 10:50 AM
    Then why even use the BB GMail plugin? Why not just use the Google GMail app? You would then have true IMAP access... which gives you 2-way sync (not really "sync" since you are seeing the actual mailbox). Not to mention offline composing, multiple drafts, and access to other GMail folders.
    The Gmail App is great too. I have both. However, I'd prefer the use of the BIS gmail inbox, which is why I used both, previously. Now that my BIS Gmail inbox does things that i want like adding stars, archiving, searching my entire gmail inbox and more, I won't need to use the gmail app as much now. Only thing I wish the gmail plugin had now, is the 2 way sync. Other than that, it's obviously a very good improvement.
    08-22-09 10:55 AM
    One you reaad it sends you the server verificiation if you open it, it will give you a link to www.blackberry.com/gmail to dowload the new Gmail Enhanced Plugin
    08-22-09 11:10 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD