Does anyone else think it's weird that they've yet to start advertising BlackBerry 10? I've seen one commercial, and it was the stupid super bowl one on YouTube.

Nobody knows. The same problem is going to affect all efforts and vision.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 06:11 AM
    Remember that the US is not a focus consumer market for BlackBerry now. Probably, if Chen starts making money in the handsent side, he will focus in the US again.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 06:20 AM
    Lol. I thought it was a universal rule that BlackBerry are basically less than padawans when it came to marketing?
    alternator77 likes this.
    04-11-14 06:25 AM
    I suspect the marketing dollars are being funneled into enterprise sales.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    mspace81 likes this.
    04-11-14 06:30 AM
    Question from me, a non-US person: Why most companies focus their effort on the US? Even Microsoft with WP8 is seems more focused with the US market, when WP8 actually does way better in Europe

It's like there is a mentality that if the fail in the US, they will fail everywhere else.
    04-11-14 06:36 AM
    Because the gross majority of us can afford a smartphone. Even the poor people have iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    edu3110 likes this.
    04-11-14 07:05 AM
    Money. The US market has a lot of potential money.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 09:10 AM
    Does anyone else think it's weird that they've yet to start advertising BlackBerry 10? I've seen one commercial, and it was the stupid super bowl one on YouTube.

Nobody knows. The same problem is going to affect all efforts and vision.

Posted via CB10
    The current crop of bb10 devices have been out for a while now and have failed commercially. It seems to have been decided than advertising these is a waste of money. They claim to have not abandoned the consumer market but this position is becoming difficult to justify. Maybe the z3 will have decent marketing (Foxconn funded?) but the q20 and new bold run will be considered enterprise, so I guess not marketed through mainstream channels. Let's see if any consumer devices appear later.
    mspace81 likes this.
    04-11-14 09:24 AM
    Money. The US market has a lot of potential money.

Posted via CB10
    Potentially yes, but other markets were already stronger and could have been a launchpad for bb10 with some decent marketing spend.
    Personally, I think the board has a US obsession which has coloured their judgement.
    04-11-14 09:31 AM
    What's the point? They don't have any new products out right now. There'll be a campaign for the Z3 but you're unlikely to see it given where it's being released.

Chill. Chen has already said there'd be a big marketing push in the future. Just no point right now.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 09:35 AM
    What's the point? They don't have any new products out right now. There'll be a campaign for the Z3 but you're unlikely to see it given where it's being released.

Chill. Chen has already said there'd be a big marketing push in the future. Just no point right now.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately Hi tech brands can't be switched on and off like that. You have to invest constantly to build and maintain your brand presence. By the time new devices are ready the carrier retail outlets will have gone and BlackBerry's reputation even worse than it is now. I'm not personally convinced about their commitment to consumer markets.
    04-11-14 09:41 AM
    Unfortunately Hi tech brands can't be switched on and off like that. You have to invest constantly to build and maintain your brand presence. By the time new devices are ready the carrier retail outlets will have gone and BlackBerry's reputation even worse than it is now. I'm not personally convinced about their commitment to consumer markets.
    They don't have the money to maintain a permanent campaign footing when they haven't got anything new to offer. End of.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 09:42 AM
    They don't have the money to maintain a permanent campaign footing when they haven't got anything new to offer. End of.

Posted via CB10
    Then they can't be a player in the consumer market. End of.
    Note, they are still a multi billion dollar company, this penniless argument is not quite the reality.
    04-11-14 09:50 AM
    Then they can't be a player in the consumer market. End of.
    Note, they are still a multi billion dollar company, this penniless argument is not quite the reality.
    You've seen how far revenue has fallen, how much cash they are bleeding each quarter, and how far they still need to cut costs to break even. It doesn't make sense to pour even more money into consumer sales of the current products.

Why not spend that money on the Z3 or the new classic instead?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    04-11-14 09:59 AM
    You've seen how far revenue has fallen, how much cash they are bleeding each quarter, and how far they still need to cut costs to break even. It doesn't make sense to pour even more money into consumer sales of the current products.

Why not spend that money on the Z3 or the new classic instead?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Z3 sure, classic is enterprise. Of course, to recover they will have to find big money for marketing, otherwise a slow death is no better than a fast one...
    04-11-14 10:09 AM
    Z3 sure, classic is enterprise. Of course, to recover they will have to find big money for marketing, otherwise a slow death is no better than a fast one...
    No one ever denied it. There just isn't any point right now for old products.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 11:54 AM
    Chen keeps saying it over and over again, but I don't think many people are listening....ENTERPRISE is their main focus. So, it's all about direct marketing towards enterprise. We are not going to see blackberry 10 marketing campaigns for the consumer market. Who will handle that part will be Foxconn, who will make devices for the consumer market, mainly low end. The high end devices will be directly marketed towards enterprise. I envision they will sell some of their high end devices through ShopBlackBerry for those who want to purchase one. Unfortunately, I feel that many US carriers are going to go the same route as T-Mobile, have the blackberry 10 devices on their business site and you have to order online or phone. For whatever reasons, consumers just aren't interested in BB10. I tried it when it first came out for nearly 2 weeks and just wasn't a fan. However, I'm interested in trying 10.2.1 (since they added many new festures), but I just can't justify paying $499 for the z30, when I have a galaxy note 3. When the price comes down, I'll consider it though.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-11-14 12:20 PM
    Economies of scale - If Apple sells 50 million iPhones a quarter then a $500 million ad campaign costs them $10 per device sold. If Blackberry spends $10 per device sold (3.4 million) then they can afford a $34 million dollar ad campaign. If they want to spend as much as Apple then they would need to spend $147 per device sold on marketing.
    04-11-14 12:52 PM
    Chen keeps saying it over and over again, but I don't think many people are listening....ENTERPRISE is their main focus. So, it's all about direct marketing towards enterprise. We are not going to see blackberry 10 marketing campaigns for the consumer market. Who will handle that part will be Foxconn, who will make devices for the consumer market, mainly low end. The high end devices will be directly marketed towards enterprise. I envision they will sell some of their high end devices through ShopBlackBerry for those who want to purchase one. Unfortunately, I feel that many US carriers are going to go the same route as T-Mobile, have the blackberry 10 devices on their business site and you have to order online or phone. For whatever reasons, consumers just aren't interested in BB10. I tried it when it first came out for nearly 2 weeks and just wasn't a fan. However, I'm interested in trying 10.2.1 (since they added many new festures), but I just can't justify paying $499 for the z30, when I have a galaxy note 3. When the price comes down, I'll consider it though.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    The message isn't as clear as you suggest, as he also mentions an lte z3 and other top end devices for the consumer market. He keeps banging on about not giving up on the consumer market - so which is it?
    04-11-14 01:49 PM
    The message isn't as clear as you suggest, as he also mentions an lte z3 and other top end devices for the consumer market. He keeps banging on about not giving up on the consumer market - so which is it?
    Agreed. I'm very supportive of Chen. But the one thing I am very critical of him on is this. He's constantly contradicting himself and sending mixed messages.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 02:02 PM