I didn't see any mention in the article, but the blurry picture with the new features, does that say 3G Mobile Hotspot on the bottom?! Coming soon... That is a huge feature, IMO. I mean finally but.

http://bit.ly/brem3h

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 01:24 PM
    Well it did say "Odin Refresh". I'm hoping that this might be just a minor refresh for the Storm2 (for OS 6 sakes) not the Storm3. I have a feeling this isn't the Storm3, if it is, then god damn RIM.. :/

07-19-10 01:29 PM
    I saw an engadget artical that basically said 1) storm 3 will be nothing more than a refreshed storm 2 and 2) for those looking for droid/iphone level of production they better keep looking.

For rim's sake they better be wrong. That will be a HUGE fumble at this stage.

Fwiw, s3 is suppose to have a whole new operating system. Shouldn't be OS 6. This device sports OS 6.

BlackBerry Storm 3 detailed in training slide: same look, more RAM? -- Engadget

07-19-10 01:32 PM
    Engadget and BGR are not fans of RIM and bashes anything that comes out for them in rumors. With that said, I hope this is just a rumor. I'm more inclined to believe the other rumors that are out there in Twitter land
    07-19-10 01:47 PM
    Wasn't storm 2 just a refresh? This is going to happen to the 9700 too.............
    07-19-10 01:51 PM
    There were some rumors a while back that the Storm 3 and 4 would be released near each other. apparently 512 is the minnimum for os6 to run. A friend of mine from this site who has always provided me with quality info is expecting the announcement to be as late as possible because of all the people they're going to anger when their device does not support os6. He also told me to expect minor refreshes of all current models to a similar version with 512mb and a few minor enhancements. RIM would like to have several handsets available at the launch of os6 and they simply could not do that if they launched all new "redesigned" products since none of the current 256mb and below devices could handle it.
    07-19-10 02:07 PM
    Well it did say "Odin Refresh". I'm hoping that this might be just a minor refresh for the Storm2 (for OS 6 sakes) not the Storm3. I have a feeling this isn't the Storm3, if it is, then god damn RIM.. :/

If this is legit, of course its the Storm 3. They aren't going to call it a Storm 2.5...

So no one cares about Mobile Hotpspot feature??

07-19-10 02:09 PM
    07-19-10 02:10 PM
    There were some rumors a while back that the Storm 3 and 4 would be released near each other. apparently 512 is the minnimum for os6 to run. A friend of mine from this site who has always provided me with quality info is expecting the announcement to be as late as possible because of all the people they're going to anger when their device does not support os6. He also told me to expect minor refreshes of all current models to a similar version with 512mb and a few minor enhancements. RIM would like to have several handsets available at the launch of os6 and they simply could not do that if they launched all new "redesigned" products since none of the current 256mb and below devices could handle it.

* Update *

Apparently there is some concrete evidence online of this, I will search to post. It wasn't from lack of trying, as RIM tried to run os6 on current devices but the user experience was so poor that they decided it would detract from the experience and the real os 6 delay was trying to get a acceptable user experience on current devices, now the delay is they want a number of 512 devices on every carrier before they release. MY OPINION: they are keeping quiet on devices it will run on because of user backlash and also explains the lack of any current device leaks. That statement was just my opinion.
    07-19-10 02:25 PM
    Sal's Video clearly showed OS6 taking up like 260 mb of app memory.

Unless they can seriously shrink that Sh^t down, they won't be running that on any device under 512. But really, web kit makes it that big? How did apple get webkit on i Phones with 128 and 256 mbs of ram?

If they are really going to release a minor revision of the Storm this holiday, they deserve what they will get, almost no sales. Now with LTE Android and WP7 devices dropping.

I really hope this is something out of the BS file.
    07-19-10 02:49 PM

* Update *

Apparently there is some concrete evidence online of this, I will search to post. It wasn't from lack of trying, as RIM tried to run os6 on current devices but the user experience was so poor that they decided it would detract from the experience and the real os 6 delay was trying to get a acceptable user experience on current devices, now the delay is they want a number of 512 devices on every carrier before they release. MY OPINION: they are keeping quiet on devices it will run on because of user backlash and also explains the lack of any current device leaks. That statement was just my opinion.
    Yea but its the first thing I've heard that makes sense regarding rims lack of apparent concern for falling so far behind in the market and responding with delays instead of releases.

In my opinion they waited too long and are having a hard time playing catch up.

If they are really going to release a minor revision of the Storm this holiday, they deserve what they will get, almost no sales. Now with LTE Android and WP7 devices dropping
    Yea go check out the reports regarding a new droid possibly by years end dropping with a 2 gig cpu.
    Whatever RIM is brewing up now that "will blow the competition away", it will be behind the minute it hits the shelves.

Looks more and more like a droid Christmas present coming....
    Last edited by kb5zht; 07-19-10 at 03:11 PM.
    07-19-10 03:07 PM
    I think we need a bit of clarification from the likes of CX and Salomondrin.
    07-19-10 03:07 PM
    Sal's Video clearly showed OS6 taking up like 260 mb of app memory.

Unless they can seriously shrink that Sh^t down, they won't be running that on any device under 512. But really, web kit makes it that big? How did apple get webkit on i Phones with 128 and 256 mbs of ram?

If they are really going to release a minor revision of the Storm this holiday, they deserve what they will get, almost no sales. Now with LTE Android and WP7 devices dropping.

I really hope this is something out of the BS file.
    Didn't really want to get into the whole 256 vs 512 debate like every other OS6 thread, but I read a tweet a couple days ago saying OS6 on a PC was 200MB. Also, OS's for different phones are all different sizes. We have already been told Verizon has OS 6 for the 9550. We just won't know how it runs on older devices until it leaks or a video leaks.

Let's just drop the 256 vs 512 debate for now.

MOBILE HOTSPOT PEOPLE!!!!! LOL
    07-19-10 03:08 PM
    Whats that?
    07-19-10 03:43 PM
    3G Mobile Hotspot.

So much for the STORM3 being an LTE device.....

Of course maybe what we taught was the STORM3 was really the STORM4G due out 3rd or 4th quarter of NEXT year. (you can't release a device called the STORM3 with 4G tech )
    07-19-10 03:46 PM
    Whats that?
    The ability to have your phone act like a router/switch so you can use multiple devices on the internet using the phones data/modem capabilities.
    07-19-10 03:46 PM
    Didn't really want to get into the whole 256 vs 512 debate like every other OS6 thread, but I read a tweet a couple days ago saying OS6 on a PC was 200MB. Also, OS's for different phones are all different sizes. We have already been told Verizon has OS 6 for the 9550. We just won't know how it runs on older devices until it leaks or a video leaks.

Let's just drop the 256 vs 512 debate for now.

Well that just kills me going back to RIM when a Storm 3 comes. Since, I'd rather use my upgrade on whatever 4g device comes out, and if that a spec'd out Android device so be it..

And no one should be that excited about adding 3G hot spot since that's been out for over a year from other devices.
    Last edited by dcsr23; 07-19-10 at 03:53 PM.
    07-19-10 03:49 PM
    A while back there was a story on one of the sites saying that Storm3 would release and then be closely followed by Storm4. The refresh must be what they were calling Storm3 and those awesome specs that we saw Salomondrin provide will hopefully be Storm4. Sorry I don't have a link for that original story (can't remember where I saw it) but I remember when it was written I couldn't understand why they would release new Storm devices so close together. Hopefully this is what they meant.

Hopefully this refresh comes soon and is not intended to be the big Storm release for the holiday season.
    07-19-10 03:55 PM
    I remember that post as well.

BlackBerry Storm 3 Coming End of Year, Storm 4 in 2011

It looks like Research in Motion is still working on their BlackBerry Storm franchise; after having released the Storm 2 last year, America's leading smartphone maker will be following up with a Storm 3 later this year and a Storm 4 in 2011. The Storm series, in their tablet touchscreen form factor, will be competing with the yet to be released BlackBerry Bold 9800 Slider, which uses a touchscreen that slides in portrait mold to reveal a keyboard.
    I took it that they were going to make to slightly updated devices like they did with the storm 1 and 2. This was the reason I hated that I bought my Storm 1 only to find out 6 months later the Storm 2 was coming out and then to find out it was nothing more than a refresh of the storm 1.

Here was another link to a similar article....

BlackBerry Storm 3 Available Later This Year, Storm 4 In 2011? [Rumor] | BlackBerry Rocks!

Apparently the Storm 3 is in its final stages of development and set for a release later this year. It will bring a “revamped” version of SurePress as well as the new BlackBerry 6 operating system. As for the Storm 4, this device is being referred to as the “iPhone killer” and is set to release some time in 2011. It will come with an accelerometer, magnetometer, 5 Megapixel camera and an upgraded GPS system.
    Last edited by dcsr23; 07-19-10 at 05:13 PM.
    07-19-10 05:04 PM
    Its funny but it seems like everytime a new Storm model gets released its the one after it thats supposed to be the "iphone killer".

This refresh spells failure and its looking to be crushed by the competition. It had better be packing LTE atleast to stand out somewhat.
    07-19-10 05:45 PM
    It seems that a lot of people are upset and you know what's good about that is we might get a leak of something special because of it just to calm everyone down. They know now this document has been leaked and they read everyone is freaked out
    07-19-10 06:23 PM
    Its funny but it seems like everytime a new Storm model gets released its the one after it thats supposed to be the "iphone killer".

This refresh spells failure and its looking to be crushed by the competition. It had better be packing LTE at least to stand out somewhat.
    LTE won't be enough. There are 5 other devices. So expect WP7, and an Android device or 3. Think Droid Pro, or HTC scorpion. Not to mention the rumors that Apple will drop an LTE iPhone on VZW in early 2011. (Apparently this is the only Out Apple has on the ATT deal, since ATT has no LTE network)

If RIM offers and S3 or S2a (whatever, the next storm!) with the specs engadget refers to, than they will get laughed at. If they release what Sal rumored to be coming than some eyebrows will raise we can say "Game on!"

Guess we wait and see...
    07-19-10 09:01 PM
    This kills me about RIM. Every time they introduce a device they up the memory a bit and a few minor features. So let's see wireless N, probably a tweek to surepress, and more memory plus OS6. This phone should be pushing 1 gb of memory/ram with a 1 Ghz processor. By the time an LTE storm comes out Android phones will be at or above 2 Ghz and it will be an iPhone4gs.

Looks like they are treating their phones like the way the way they treat their OS. Re "theme" it and call it new...
    07-19-10 09:13 PM
    Someone explain to me what's all this about 2ghz processors? Would't that simply kill the battery? What apps are you thinking off that would need that much horse power?
    07-19-10 09:41 PM
    Someone explain to me what's all this about 2ghz processors? Would't that simply kill the battery? What apps are you thinking off that would need that much horse power?
    Google android and 2 gig cpu. You will find the articals.

07-19-10 09:44 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD