Pretty cool.

Added July 11:
    Last edited by BB.David; 07-11-10 at 05:48 PM.
    07-09-10 07:39 PM
    That's pretty cool
    07-09-10 08:11 PM
    I have this sudden urge to buy a BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 08:20 PM
    Good lord. 5 weak ads. For BBM no less. This is RIMs idea of marketing? Pitiful.
    07-09-10 08:50 PM
    Good lord. 5 weak ads. For BBM no less. This is RIMs idea of marketing? Pitiful.

They are certainly NO Apple!!
    07-09-10 08:52 PM
    Well, the last two are just smaller versions of the first couple (30 seconds, smaller ones 15 seconds).

I personally don't think they are weak at all. They are trying to come down from the "business mountain" and appeal to real people. These ads are about real people, using BB for real things. I see no issue with them at all from a marketing strategy standpoint. In fact, I think they will be quite effective.
    07-09-10 08:53 PM
    This isn't even a "business mountain" vs "real people" issue. Those are just the
    blandest ads imaginable. And again, for BBM. Really, that is a focal point now?

Effective? Someone has to be optimistic, I guess.

As an aside, since you brought up the "real people" marketing aspect,
    all of those people are caricatures and that makes it weaker.
    07-09-10 09:11 PM
    Well, I guess we agree to disagree, because I see it the opposite of you.
    07-09-10 09:38 PM
    It's a good start.
    RIM needs to crank up the marketing machine

There's a lot of unwarranted hype generated by recent Android advertising.
    07-09-10 09:49 PM
    I usually love to agree to disagree with AG, ;-p, but this time I have to agree. I haven't liked any of the recent BlackBerry ads and this one is just as bad. And don't even get me started seeing a barber stopping his work so he can text. That's what we want to encourage is more people texting instead of doing their jobs.

07-09-10 09:51 PM
    Heck I kinda liked it. Maybe it'll take off soon and things will be peachy.
    07-10-10 12:55 AM
    It's a good start.
    RIM needs to crank up the marketing machine
    ... and they would do well to start with real, identifiable people as opposed to
    this reject cast of cartoon characters from late 80's sitcoms.

Every single person in those ads is a bad (and dated) stereotype and if that is RIMs
    idea of marketing to new potential customers they deserve to fall on their faces with
    this tripe.
    07-10-10 01:08 AM
    I don't know about where you live, but BBM is tremendously popular here. I also really don't see how these can be considered "stereotypical" compared to the Apple FaceTime commercial.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 07-10-10 at 03:18 AM.
    07-10-10 03:14 AM
    I like the ads, despite Amazinglygraceless hatred of BBM. It's short simple and gets the message across.

BBM doesn't need a long airtime commercial because that would be overkill and pricy. Something short like this is just right. Many people who don't own a Blackberry still probably have heard the term BBM and I think RIM wants to run these ads to ensure it's their thing.
    07-10-10 03:58 AM
    From these ads, I would have no idea of what BBM really was.

Does it replace SMS, does it compliment email, is it compatible with either and does it talk to other messaging systems. They don;t say because, as we know, it is not any of thise things.

I don't even have BBM on my phone. I think BBM is a total pita and prefer email.

BBM is the only advantage that BlackBerry has over other phones and that can be solved in an instant by simply making SMS, MSN and/or all the other messaging systems free for all. This is actually not a bad idea since it would use very little network bandwidth.

I think that these are very weak advertisements indeed.
    07-10-10 04:36 AM
    I like the ads, despite Amazinglygraceless hatred of BBM.
    WTF! are you talking about. You cannot find a SINGLE post where I have ever
    expressed a hatred for BBM. I use the damn thing constantly.

Does it need a poorly executed ad campaign? In my opinion, no it does not.
    07-10-10 05:00 AM
    What about SMS? You must love SMS...
    07-10-10 05:14 AM
    I liked the ads.. They target the "average" folk, and were not over the top.
    07-10-10 05:17 AM
    What's wrong with you people there nothing wrong with those ads there down to earth and the truth that's how some people use there bbm what do you guys want a robot telling its going to take over the world
    07-10-10 05:18 AM
    What about SMS? You must love SMS...
    That my friend, I plead the 5th
    07-10-10 05:28 AM
    I really like BBM and it's speed over SMS or MMS, however to make a commercial spot for it was kinda weak. I think creating some teaser commercials for the new OS 6 and the new browser would get peoples attention more and make the consumer feel more of a "want" for the BlackBerry #XXX.
    07-10-10 10:07 AM
    I don't know about where you live, but BBM is tremendously popular here. I also really don't see how these can be considered "stereotypical" compared to the Apple FaceTime commercial.
    personally, the only reason i didnt jump off BB is for BBM. facetime is cool, but BBM is super duper addictive.
    07-10-10 10:10 AM
    personally, the only reason i didnt jump off BB is for BBM. facetime is cool, but BBM is super duper addictive.
    I think it's the one thing RIM can really advertise for the time being. They can't talk about hardware specs. They can't talk about apps. They can't talk about browsing. Everything else that makes BlackBerrys great is not really "commercial material". Can you imagine a commercial about the keyboards? How about a commercial talking about the benefits of push? Boring! Battery life? Convenience keys? SureType? Surepress? You get the idea.

07-10-10 10:25 AM
    I think it's the one thing RIM can really advertise for the time being. They can't talk about hardware specs. They can't talk about apps. They can't talk about browsing. Everything else that makes BlackBerrys great is not really "commercial material". Can you imagine a commercial about the keyboards? How about a commercial talking about the benefits of push? Boring! Battery life? Convenience keys? SureType? Surepress? You get the idea.

yeah, os6 might be different...but i doubt it. and really, its too late in the game to be advertising mobile browsing. that was 2-3 years ago. nowadays its 4g, its mobile video conferencing, and its APPS....RIM needs more developer tools. it needs more support for developers. its 2010 and the development process for BB is eons longer than for iphone or android. there are more BB's than iphones and yet there are multiples times more developers for iphone than BB.
    07-10-10 12:19 PM
    That says more about you than it does about bbm.
    07-10-10 12:25 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD