It's hard to take seriously demands of the trackpad and old hardware buttons being a "necessity" when posting are from people who have signatures like this:

"Sent from my GT-P3113 using CB Forums mobile app"

"Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app"

Obviously, you've made do otherwise.
    kbz1960, SK122387 and SDTRMG like this.
    01-27-14 11:04 AM
    It's hard to take seriously demands of the trackpad and old hardware buttons being a "necessity" when posting are from people who have signatures like this:

But this, proves my point. We're not force to stick around, if we have to use full touch why stick with BlackBerry, they've now made our phone similar to all the other phones, with less apps. Whatever kept us a BlackBerry user is now gone.

Some of the posters here, have been BlackBerry users for years, they aren't even using their BB device, doesn't that says something.

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    01-27-14 11:27 AM
    But this, proves my point. We're not force to stick around, if we have to use full touch why stick with BlackBerry, they've now made our phone similar to all the other phones, with less apps. Whatever kept us a BlackBerry user is now gone.

Some of the posters here, have been BlackBerry users for years, they aren't even using their BB device, doesn't that says something.
    Unfortunately, the number of users like you that want a BlackBerry device that's the "same" year after year, with improved hardware specs is dwindling at a rapid rate. Even if there was no BB10, BlackBerry would still be losing users, as was the trend before BB10.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-27-14 12:08 PM
    Unfortunately, the number of users like you that want a BlackBerry device that's the "same" year after year, with improved hardware specs is dwindling at a rapid rate. Even if there was no BB10, BlackBerry would still be losing users, as was the trend before BB10.
    But the last time they improved BB7 hardware was when, 2010? And let's not forget BB7 was also delayed quite a bit. Yet it still outsells BB10 in 2013 and probably 2014 too? What does that tell you?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    01-27-14 12:21 PM
    IMHO, ditching the trackpad and buttons was a huge mistake. As was not having all of the shortcut keys in place at launch of the Q10. One handed efficiency is sharply curtailed without the trackpad. I'm still on my Bold 9930. I want the speed of the Q10 and some of the feature of the new OS, but I also want my trackpad, shortcut keys, and I could do without the hub. I prefer keeping work and personal separate.

-Tom
    I have a Q10 but I do miss my 9930 for the reasons stated above. This is an interesting thread. I'll be honest BB10 compared the legacy 99xx phones is a very personal thing for me as I have spent quite amount of time on both. I really with speed dial and shortcuts were already baked into BB10. The trackpad is highly missed hardware feature. Anybody who acts like they don't miss their legacy devices aren't thinking it through completely and anybody not grateful for BB10 phones hasn't used one. BlackBerry please just merge the legacy features into the BB10 os for Christ's sake.

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-27-14 12:34 PM
    I have a Q10 but I do miss my 9930 for the reasons stated above. This is an interesting thread. I'll be honest BB10 compared the legacy 99xx phones is a very personal thing for me as I have spent quite amount of time on both. I really with speed dial and shortcuts were already baked into BB10. The trackpad is highly missed hardware feature. Anybody who acts like they don't miss their legacy devices aren't thinking it through completely and anybody not grateful for BB10 phones hasn't used one. BlackBerry please just merge the legacy features into the BB10 os for Christ's sake.

For whatever reason it seems very hard for them to implement, perhaps because they didn't code them in from the beginning and now the job is 10 times harder? Maybe BB10 is very hard to code for? It shouldn't take this long.

01-27-14 12:47 PM
    But the last time they improved BB7 hardware was when, 2010? And let's not forget BB7 was also delayed quite a bit. Yet it still outsells BB10 in 2013 and probably 2014 too? What does that tell you?
    It tells me that even if they improved the hardware and sold new ones to every existing BBOS7 user, they'd still be in trouble and that BB10 uptake isn't great because people have been favoring full touch Android and iOS devices, even if they proclaim that they can't live without the touchpad and hardware buttons.
    kbz1960 and Vorkosigan like this.
    01-27-14 12:49 PM
    It tells me that even if they improved the hardware and sold new ones to every existing BBOS7 user, they'd still be in trouble and that BB10 uptake isn't great because people have been favoring full touch Android and iOS devices, even if they proclaim that they can't live without the touchpad and hardware buttons.
    So if hardware that was supposed to be out at the end of 2009 still outsells BB10 in 2014 why bother with BB10 at all?

Also, just to clear things out, I'm not using an iphone by choice, I used my upgrade on a Q10 that later suffered from a big bug that deleted all my SMS and 3 months of emails. I'm using an iphone temporarily and I intend to go back to BBOS in a few days.

01-27-14 01:05 PM

The 9900 has been out for 3 years or so, nothing has been done at all to improve that model and it still out sell's bb10. Go figure.

There's lots of new features that I like in bb10. That said, some important pieces are missing for me to be totally happy with my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 01:07 PM
    I really wish speed dial and shortcuts were already baked into BB10.
    Maybe by tomorrow, depending on where you are and whether your carrier isn't witholding...

More new features turn up in OS 10.2.1 including contact profiles, Q10 speed dial, new BBM icons and more | CrackBerry.com

The trackpad is highly missed hardware feature.
    Perhaps BlackBerry can reintroduce this, as it does make cursor positioning more precise.
    01-27-14 01:10 PM
    So if hardware that was supposed to be out at the end of 2009 still outsells BB10 in 2014 why bother with BB10 at all?
    Why bother with BBOS7 at all, when Android and iOS are outselling it? If things were so rosy with staying with the status quo, BlackBerry wouldn't be in trouble in the first place. They'd be happily selling BBOS7 devices and not have bothered with BB10.

One of the reasons BB10 hasn't been adopted widely is because people think it's the same old BBOS7, with its reboot to install apps and battery pulls. If anything BBOS7's legacy has hindered BB10 to old and new users.

BB10 is a new foundation to build upon and sometimes you need to build a new foundation to move forward/compete.
    01-27-14 01:39 PM
    Ok the 9900 sells better than any other bbry phone. Yet it sells less than any other phone. How does that keep a company moving forward?

If they were in such great great shape selling the 9900 why oh why in the world would they go thru what they have to this point?

Do you think everyone at BBRY is ignorant and unaware of what was going on around them? Do you think they said awe these legacy devices are selling so well we need to change to something completely new and real kill the company off because we are doing too good?

Do you really think they are all morons trying to ruin the company on purpose? It sounds like it cause that is what sounds like to me. Yes have your opinion and I'll have mine.

I don't believe the place is full of morons that don't have a clue about what color of shirt they have on much less what is or isn't good for the company.
    Omnitech likes this.
    01-27-14 01:45 PM
    ok then what would u say if bb made os8. Same phones new Os. Yes in our scenario they would"waste" all those resources to make a few people happy. But those "few" are buying moreos7 than os10.

I'm realistic about bb dying a slow death. But the Internet will keep bb phones alive for at least 5 more years I say.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using CB Forums mobile app
    They're buying more OS 7 devices for a variety of reasons. OS7 phones are not as expensive as BB10 phones. And in some cases, OS7 phones are available and BB10 phones are harder to get (ex. T-Mobile USA, where the Curve 9315 is available and BB10 phones are direct ship). Making an entire new OS for some people is just not worth it. It would be much easier and cost-efficient to just add in the missing features of OS7 devices to BB10.

The 9900/9930 user base might not be huge but it easily outnumbers all the BB10 users right now after a year of sales.

uhhh... well the 9930/9900 came out in 2011 so I would HOPE that they would have outsold devices that came out less than a year ago.
    01-27-14 01:53 PM
    I too wondered the same but accept that BBOS development is dead and BB10 is the only way forward for them. I don't see a lot of logic in supporting 2 OS, that woud be a lot of resource for very little in return.

The core issue is simply we have to accept BB10 .. probably even 10.2 is not yet a the level that OS7 was .. and it will probably take them another 1yr to get it close.

That said.. most of us bold fans are simply not happy with the Q10.. since it could have been better. That said... I would say.. give BB a chance to see what the next set of handsets will be. Then we can truly see the direction they are taking and if they listen to their current consumers who have stood by them during all the crap.

If the next Q phone doesnt have the red and green call buttons I'm probably jumping ship with BB (ideally also bringing back custom button assignments).

I would also like to see them find a way to get Apple support and find a way to bridge the App gap and find a way to run iOS apps on a BB. Period. I would easly pay something like $30 for a BRIDGE solution to iOS app store. I know android store seems to be available in 10.2 but I hate android and it`s not enough of a marketing buzz like having iOS app support fully implemented to really break BB free of the holding pattern there in.

If BB issue a Q30 (large screen, call buttons) and figured out a way to get iOS apps to load.. they`d be back in a huge huge way.
    Last edited by diehardbbuser; 01-27-14 at 02:23 PM.
    01-27-14 02:03 PM
    Ok the 9900 sells better than any other bbry phone. Yet it sells less than any other phone. How does that keep a company moving forward?

If they were in such great great shape selling the 9900 why oh why in the world would they go thru what they have to this point?

Do you think everyone at BBRY is ignorant and unaware of what was going on around them? Do you think they said awe these legacy devices are selling so well we need to change to something completely new and real kill the company off because we are doing too good?

Do you really think they are all morons trying to ruin the company on purpose? It sounds like it cause that is what sounds like to me. Yes have your opinion and I'll have mine.

I don't believe the place is full of morons that don't have a clue about what color of shirt they have on much less what is or isn't good for the company.
    What's clear is that they didn't properly capture the killer features of legacy devices and make sure they were included in bb10.

Instead they produced a "green field" bb10 and expected everyone to flock to it in awe.

I would categorise this, generously, as naive.
    kbz1960 and bbq10l like this.
    01-27-14 02:18 PM
    What's clear is that they didn't properly capture the killer features of legacy devices and make sure they were included in bb10.

Instead they produced a "green field" bb10 and expected everyone to flock to it in awe.

As Kevin put it in the Vector podcast, they promised a phone for the one in five, for the BB people and they delivered a phone aimed at the four in five instead.

In the end they got the one in 1000

01-27-14 02:30 PM

Just like they thought everyone would just move to full touch and drop the keyboard like TH said at launch.. as millions gave a collective sigh and gasp..

Those must have been some interesting boardroom and senior management meetings those days..company must have been so polarized ..
    01-27-14 02:34 PM
    For whatever reason it seems very hard for them to implement, perhaps because they didn't code them in from the beginning and now the job is 10 times harder? Maybe BB10 is very hard to code for? It shouldn't take this long.

Good point!

01-27-14 02:36 PM
    Why are people so down on BB10? I think it is so much better than BBOS. I loved my 9930, and if they remade it, but lost the track button and put BB10 on it, I would buy it in a heartbeat. NO, don't say that what the Q10 is, I have a Q, but the 9930 QWERTY I liked so much better.

Maybe the Q30/50 will bring back the smiley QWERTY.
    01-27-14 02:55 PM

I agree and it looks so far like they are trying to bring a lot of that back.
    01-27-14 03:43 PM
    I agree and it looks so far like they are trying to bring a lot of that back.
    Not trying hard enough I'm afraid.

01-27-14 03:56 PM
    Not trying hard enough I'm afraid.

I don't know if they are or not or how difficult it is.
    01-27-14 04:50 PM

I have a Q10 and a Samsung tablet running droid so you'll notice my two different sigs thank you very much. Don't hate because my topic is now reaching it's third page of discussion.

Extremely unhappy with T-Mobile not releasing 10.2 yet...
    01-27-14 06:09 PM
    I have a Q10 and a Samsung tablet running droid so you'll notice my two different sigs thank you very much. Don't hate because my topic is now reaching it's third page of discussion.

Extremely unhappy with T-Mobile not releasing 10.2 yet...
    I am now using a Pearl 3G (until I'm getting a 9900 or 979) and I have a data only sim in the iphone 5, I'm basically using it as an iPod touch. Both the Pearl and the iphone eat out of the same 6GB data plan.

01-28-14 02:14 AM

I think that's only partially true.

If they had actually executed on the concept and promises, it would have went way better for them.

Instead, it was late, sloppily engineered, missing functionality, and full of bugs. And marketing/PR/communications were crap.

That, combined with the company's very limited resources/high-costs, very negative public/Wall St. sentiment (the latter probably largely due to other loyalties and profit motivation) and lukewarm carrier support, sunk the product.
    01-30-14 06:27 PM
135 1234 ...