I've read tons of posts comparing the q10 to the9900. Here's the scenario

What if blackberry were to upgrade the bold, but keep the same form factor. Better camera, better ram, better processor, but still have the trackpad and buttons.

Then what if they were to make a new os for that phone that kept all the best features of os7 but just upgrade it to work with the new hardware. This would satisfy all the bold users that don't want to switch to bb10.

Maybe a bold 9999 running bbos8?

I know this will never happen, but let's hear your thoughts!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-25-14 11:21 PM
    that's BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Mecca EL and MarsupilamiX like this.
    01-25-14 11:33 PM
    This pointless phone would be loved by a few, and harshly criticized by many, creating nasty headlines at a time where it seems that BlackBerry is sort of headed in the right direction. This would be broadly seen as clinging to the stale OS because the new OS just isn't good enough. Or if they made a NEW OS, it would be seen as just such an incredible waste of resources. Why? To handful of people happy?

This 9900/Q10 thing is not like when The Coca-Cola Company launched New Coke, angering millions of people around the world because they wanted the old Coke back.

The user base of the 9900 was never huge... now consider that even fewer people are THAT upset about the things the 9900 has that the Q10 doesn't (yet). We just read the complaints from some disgruntled former 9900 and current Q10 owners here because this is the biggest BlackBerry fan site, so if a few people post about it and it's an ongoing thread, it seems like, "Wow! The whole world is rioting about the shortcuts that the Q10 doesn't have that the Bold 99xx did."

I give you credit for at least knowing that this new OS and bringing back the trackpad and the buttons around it will never happen, which is more than can be said for some around here about this issue
    01-25-14 11:38 PM
    that's BB10.

You didn't read my post right.

01-27-14 06:54 AM
    This pointless phone would be loved by a few, and harshly criticized by many, creating nasty headlines at a time where it seems that BlackBerry is sort of headed in the right direction. This would be broadly seen as clinging to the stale OS because the new OS just isn't good enough. Or if they made a NEW OS, it would be seen as just such an incredible waste of resources. Why? To handful of people happy?

This 9900/Q10 thing is not like when The Coca-Cola Company launched New Coke, angering millions of people around the world because they wanted the old Coke back.

The user base of the 9900 was never huge... now consider that even fewer people are THAT upset about the things the 9900 has that the Q10 doesn't (yet). We just read the complaints from some disgruntled former 9900 and current Q10 owners here because this is the biggest BlackBerry fan site, so if a few people post about it and it's an ongoing thread, it seems like, "Wow! The whole world is rioting about the shortcuts that the Q10 doesn't have that the Bold 99xx did."

I give you credit for at least knowing that this new OS and bringing back the trackpad and the buttons around it will never happen, which is more than can be said for some around here about this issue
    ok then what would u say if bb made os8. Same phones new Os. Yes in our scenario they would"waste" all those resources to make a few people happy. But those "few" are buying moreos7 than os10.

I'm realistic about bb dying a slow death. But the Internet will keep bb phones alive for at least 5 more years I say.

Q10Bold likes this.
    01-27-14 07:04 AM
    Wow I must say I'm glad there are such enlightened folks around here, what fools us BlackBerry loyalists are, especially me (even though I know we won't see one) for actually "missing" having the trackpad.

So, help a lost soul from that small userbase that isn't as big as we all think and tell me: What do you suggest for the users of this "dying brand" folks? Which Android phone are you suggesting meets your approval for being a WISE investment, or sorry, is it Apple? Answer this question for me and tell me what I need to have so I'm in the "now". Thank you.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    01-27-14 07:17 AM
    I think they tried lipstick on a pig with the last OS7 devices. But it was still a pig not many wanted. I really don't think throwing better hardware at their old Java based OS will do much for it. Its inherent of the OS to cause lag, hour glasses and memory loss.
    01-27-14 07:32 AM
    I've read tons of posts comparing the q10 to the9900. Here's the scenario

What if blackberry were to upgrade the bold, but keep the same form factor. Better camera, better ram, better processor, but still have the trackpad and buttons.

Then what if they were to make a new os for that phone that kept all the best features of os7 but just upgrade it to work with the new hardware. This would satisfy all the bold users that don't want to switch to bb10.

Maybe a bold 9999 running bbos8?

I know this will never happen, but let's hear your thoughts!

I've been asking for this device for months. They would instantly sell 10 millions of them through Legacy fans upgrades and Legacy BES users replacements/upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    01-27-14 07:41 AM

The 9900/9930 user base might not be huge but it easily outnumbers all the BB10 users right now after a year of sales.

Q10Bold likes this.
    01-27-14 07:43 AM
    Like I said I think the average consumer will be able to buy a BlackBerry phone and have service for at least 5 more years. There are plenty of people still using flip phones, cdma, basic stuff.

you can use ebay and amazon. If you don't want to change, don't change.

I'm just throwing out discussion topics I think are interesting I have no emotional attachment to BlackBerry as a company but I really like every BlackBerry I've ever had. Did wish updates came more often though.

Extremely unhappy with T-Mobile not releasing 10.2 yet...
    01-27-14 07:44 AM
    Like I said I think the average consumer will be able to buy a BlackBerry phone and have service for at least 5 more years. There are plenty of people still using flip phones, cdma, basic stuff.

you can use ebay and amazon. If you don't want to change, don't change.

I'm just throwing out discussion topics I think are interesting I have no emotional attachment to BlackBerry as a company but I really like every BlackBerry I've ever had. Did wish updates came more often though.

Extremely unhappy with T-Mobile not releasing 10.2 yet...
    At the same time these users would actually create and maintain a stream of revenue for BlackBerry. Something BB10 users don't.

01-27-14 07:46 AM
    I think they tried lipstick on a pig with the last OS7 devices. But it was still a pig not many wanted. I really don't think throwing better hardware at their old Java based OS will do much for it. Its inherent of the OS to cause lag, hour glasses and memory loss.
    I strongly disagree. If BB7 is sooooo bad how do you explain the number of users that hold on to them and vastly outnumber BB10 users?

01-27-14 07:59 AM
    This scenario has been asked about at least a hundred times in these forums so the pros and cons of doing it are out there to read already. I'm sure BelfastDispatcher will turn up in this thread and continue his tiresome vendetta against BlackBerry for moving on and leaving BBOS behind.

While an upgraded 9900 and BBOS version might please the ever shrinking die hard "can't move on won't move on" BBOS userbase, ignoring the technical and user experience problems, from a consumers perspective it would be as negative for the brand and for BlackBerry's future as the release of the 9720 was last summer. It sends out all the wrong signals.

The only potential market for a 'high end' new BBOS phone would be Enterprises that also haven't moved on yet and deployed BES10 so they can roll out BB10 phones. That was one of the markets for the 9720 but BlackBerry haven't released any sales figures to allow us to see if it was successful there or not. The tricky thing is that Enterprise-only is a tiny market compared to the potential of the consumer market. Carriers would want to try to sell it to consumers but then where are you? You're still selling an obsolete platform a year after it was superceded thats where, and that's only going to be a bad user experience.

New CEO John Chen's approach seems to be to try to get Enterprises who haven't moved on to BES10 up to speed rather than pander to them by making more BBOS phones just because they are still using old BES5 servers. I approve of this strategy, it's time to leave BBOS as it is and push BB10 in to Enterprise where there is extra revenue beyond selling the phone from annual user licenses.

From a technical standpoint BBOS can't make use of multiple cores to increase performance. They'd have to either rewrite the kernel risking losing compatibility with older and current software (very costly in terms of development time and they laid off most of their BBOS programmers), or just ramp up the clock speed of a single core CPU. That's an inefficient way to increase processing power as it would eat the battery power and make the phone get very hot.

With more multicore smartphones being made than single core BlackBerry may find it hard to get hold of a processor that can handle having its clock speed increased as much as it would need to be in the quantities that make it economically viable for actually making some money when it comes to selling the phone.

You'd still be left with many of the age old limitations and problems of BBOS, ones that seemed particularly bad in BBOS7 as the OS was being stretched to its limit by being asked to do things it was never originally designed to do.

You'd still have the random spinning clock that stops you using your phone for anything until it decides it's ready (or you do a battery pull in frustration).

You'd still have limited storage for apps and developers would still have to deal with the decade's worth of legacy quirks that make developing for BBOS harder than any other mainstream platform (to me it seems the majority have already stopped developing their apps and new apps for BBOS).

Unless they made the phone oddly large to accommodate a bigger battery or moved to a built-in battery that can't be easily changed (can't battery pull, uh oh! Bad news for a BBOS phone) the phone would have poor battery life with the 'upgraded' hardware inside.

So you would 'get back' the trackpad, back button, menu and call buttons. To that I say big deal. I don't personally miss them at all on my Z10 or Z30 and I used legacy BBOS phones for a decade. Any little tricks to make text selection or call handling better can be done in software on the touch screen, and gradually are being done. 10.2 brought big improves to text manipulation and 10.2.1 has a touch screen equivalent of swiping the trackpad to select text. Virtual is the future.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.0.1803 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 02-01-14 at 09:48 AM.
    thurask, drknobs, Cesare21 and 4 others like this.
    01-27-14 08:24 AM
    Yes, Legacy fans know the shortcomings of BBOS very well, still prefer it to BB10. I don't know why some people try so hard to convince us we shouldn't like it.

01-27-14 09:18 AM
    Hmm, let's attach horses to cars and bring back Windows 9x.
    01-27-14 09:24 AM
    IMHO, ditching the trackpad and buttons was a huge mistake. As was not having all of the shortcut keys in place at launch of the Q10. One handed efficiency is sharply curtailed without the trackpad. I'm still on my Bold 9930. I want the speed of the Q10 and some of the feature of the new OS, but I also want my trackpad, shortcut keys, and I could do without the hub. I prefer keeping work and personal separate.

-Tom
    milo53 likes this.
    01-27-14 09:27 AM
    Hmm, let's attach horses to cars and bring back Windows 9x.
    Yeh right, we're not asking for OS1.0 back, OS7 had NFC, wifi hotspot, dlna, accelerometer, virtual augmentation etc

Not exactly horse and cart you know.

BitPusher2600 likes this.
    01-27-14 09:31 AM
    I disagree here, why does BBOS continue to out sell BB10. I would have to say regardless of how huge the 9900 user base is, it's still higher than the current BB10. And will keep on getting bigger, we have 8 more BlackBerry upgrade coming in march and they all want the 9900's. My guys don't want the Q.
    01-27-14 09:37 AM
    I strongly disagree. If BB7 is sooooo bad how do you explain the number of users that hold on to them and vastly outnumber BB10 users?

People who don't have money to spend on a new phone when their old ones works as it always has, doesn't mean it works well. People who again don't have much expendable money wanting to keep BIS. BBOS has been around for ages and BB10is just a year old.

You expect a year old OS to outsell every legacy device that have been in use since it was created? Or even take over where people just can't or won't afford it? Lets take emerging markets out of the equation. How well are legacy devices selling? How many are sticking with them instead of going to Apple or Android?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-27-14 09:58 AM
    I disagree here, why does BBOS continue to out sell BB10. I would have to say regardless of how huge the 9900 user base is, it's still higher than the current BB10. And will keep on getting bigger, we have 8 more BlackBerry upgrade coming in march and they all want the 9900's. My guys don't want the Q.
    BlackBerry are about to rid themselves of the remaining BBOS team. These guys (who made the company top 3) were cold shouldered as soon as bb10 was initiated (hence many popular legacy features absent) . Their plan is to force people onto bb10. We'll see how well that goes down with legacy users.
    milo53 likes this.
    01-27-14 10:02 AM
    that's BB10.

You've not used a BB10 device. Theres still many features missing from OS7.
    Granted they are very slowly being added, but no, BB10 isn't a OS7 upgraded.

Although a year later, I would take BB10 over OS7, I wouldn't mind a OS8 type of handset.
    01-27-14 10:11 AM
    Yes, Legacy fans know the shortcomings of BBOS very well, still prefer it to BB10. I don't know why some people try so hard to convince us we shouldn't like it.

I don't think anyone is trying to convince anyone not to like or love it. Just be realistic on where BBRY was, Going down fast with BBOS with no signs of anything but losing more customers. Love it all you want but in the same respect why are some constantly trying to tell everyone that BB10 is inferior to what it replaced? Aren't you trying to tell them they shouldn't like it?
    Rello likes this.
    01-27-14 10:28 AM
    I can't believe this discussion is going to happen all over again from scratch.

Just read these threads and be done with it guys!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=886102

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=890490

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.0.1803 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    01-27-14 10:42 AM
    BlackBerry are about to rid themselves of the remaining BBOS team. These guys (who made the company top 3) were cold shouldered as soon as bb10 was initiated (hence many popular legacy features absent) . Their plan is to force people onto bb10. We'll see how well that goes down with legacy users.
    It's a shame, I get it.

In reality, I can understand that they have to probably push people to BB10, but we're not forced to do anything, we can go to the other phone. (I know peeps are gonna hate) - trackpad / buttons, that is a major reason for us for choosing 9900 over the Q10.

While these are gone, what it does, it forces us to use a full touch screen, so why not just use an Iphone? Your pretty much pushing my business to these other guys. What I mean by this is simple, my wife as an iphone, she can do a multitude of things that I can't do. By getting an iphone I'll be able to do my work just as I am with my Q10 and would be able to participate with some of the games and other apps my wife and other friends use on their device.

I didn't choose BlackBerry because I wanted to be different, I choose BlackBerry because it made me really efficient at work. BlackBerry was the "it" thing when I got my first bb phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 10:44 AM
    Without getting into arguments, of BB comes out with an OS8 updated 9900 they can count on my cash.

BB10 has been a bad experience of wait and see and bug after bug.

Until then I'm going back to BBOS. Very soon.

01-27-14 10:59 AM
135 123 ...