Hello all,

I have been looking for a new phone and Blackberry is one of my main candidates. I am primarily looking at the Blackberry Curve 8520 and the Blackberry Bold 9700. I have a few questions relating to the possible contracts and the email set up, so would greatly appreciate any help.

Both my contracts state unlimited mobile internet... so will this alow me to use email all the time and send/recieve??

Secondly, on the subject of email. I only use two email accounts: My personal free hot mail account and my college email. I have read that you cannot use free Hotmail on the blackberry... is this true? And again if you can use Hotmail... will these contracts allow me to read, send and delete my mail via my mobile phone.

Many thanks, this would help me massively in decided what phone to go for.
    12-06-09 10:06 AM
    I believe each carrier has it's own Blackberry style package for data plans etc. So you might have to check with your carrier about that. For hotmail, I found this application that works for hotmail live. Might check it out to see if it will work for you. Two great phones you are looking at purchasing!

Windows Live� on your BlackBerry Smartphone
    12-06-09 10:36 AM
    hotmail can be setup with a BIS account on a blackberry handset.

wether you pay for the hotmail or use the free hotmail service.
    12-06-09 10:40 AM
    Thankyou very much! That app seems just the thing I was looking for! I've decided to go for the Blackberry 8520 as its cheaper and seems to do everything i'll need it for.

You say each carrier has its own Blackberry style packages for data plans.

I am looking at buying the phone of Virgin Mobile.. for �25-- 18 month contract.

It says it comes with unlimited Mobile Internet and also unlimited Blackberry Access. Would you by any chance know what Blackberry access is.. and how I would be able to find out about if this package is correct for me?

Thankyou again!!
    12-06-09 10:41 AM
    Firstly, what country and carrier are you looking at.

Secondly, Hotmail CAN be used as I use it on mine.

The definition of BIS or data services varies from carrier to carrier.
    As I have just discovered TMO UK are sneeky and charge �10 a month, which Orange UK charge �5 a month.

"unlimited" is a dangerous word as its usually followed by "fair usage applies" where they will in tiny letters tell you what the cap actually is.
    However most carriers allow a reasonable data allowance in this anyway.

"unlimited internet" and "BIS" are NOT the same thing in most cases, so a SIM from a Nokia N97 with unlimited internet would not give you the full range of services on a BB, you would need BIS for that.

As for the phone choice....
    Do you want 3G, 3.15mp camera and a flash? Or could you live with 2G and EDGE, a 2mp camera and no flash
    The costs of the phones is miles apart, but the spec does not always reflect the price.
    I use an 8520, only got it as a stop gap for the 9700 launch, but have almost decided now NOT to bother with the 9700 as im happy with what I have.

hope that helps
    12-06-09 10:42 AM
    Firstly, what country and carrier are you looking at.

Secondly, Hotmail CAN be used as I use it on mine.

The definition of BIS or data services varies from carrier to carrier.
    As I have just discovered TMO UK are sneeky and charge �10 a month, which Orange UK charge �5 a month.

"unlimited" is a dangerous word as its usually followed by "fair usage applies" where they will in tiny letters tell you what the cap actually is.
    However most carriers allow a reasonable data allowance in this anyway.

"unlimited internet" and "BIS" are NOT the same thing in most cases, so a SIM from a Nokia N97 with unlimited internet would not give you the full range of services on a BB, you would need BIS for that.

As for the phone choice....
    Do you want 3G, 3.15mp camera and a flash? Or could you live with 2G and EDGE, a 2mp camera and no flash
    The costs of the phones is miles apart, but the spec does not always reflect the price.
    I use an 8520, only got it as a stop gap for the 9700 launch, but have almost decided now NOT to bother with the 9700 as im happy with what I have.

hope that helps
    just looking on the orange site, when i was picking a plan (dolphin) the internet plan was �5 a month, the email plan was �5 a month . that totals to �10 a month.

quoted from the orage website.

additional services

BlackBerry� email
    remove �4.25

Unlimited Mobile Internet 5GBP
    remove �4.26
    12-06-09 10:54 AM
    ^^ Yeah i have also decided to go for the 8520 as I for what I'm planning to use it for, the 9700 doesn't warrant the extra money.

I've looked into the contract and the unlimited internet has a fair usage policy of 1GB per month.. which I'm presuming is quite a fair amount?!

As per the carrier... I'm in the UK and am looking towards Virgin Mobile UK and there blackberry 8520 offer of �25 for 18 months. I would link it but as im new on the forums I cant as of yet!

I've tried reading as much as I can about the contract but I cannot find much info directly about blackberry's. However it does say unlimited internet AND Blackberry Access... which i'm not too sure what is?!??

Finaly "BIS" i've read it around a few forums and have yet to figure out what it means?? So what is it and what extra will it allow me to do?

Thanks again all that are helping !!
    12-06-09 10:56 AM
    BIS = Blackberry Internet Service. have a search round and read up on it, its what makes your blackberry handset (when you get it) so great !
    12-06-09 11:01 AM
    So by the looks of things Virgin UK doesn't support BIS?

Seems strange as why would they be able to sell a Blackberry on contract without any blackberry services :S

Unless the Blackberry Access is it.. however i can't seem to find anything about it??

Am I being stupid here and missing something out?
    12-06-09 11:20 AM
    just looking on the orange site, when i was picking a plan (dolphin) the internet plan was �5 a month, the email plan was �5 a month . that totals to �10 a month.

quoted from the orage website.
    Panther tariff includes the BIS in the price.
    I have my other BB on Dolphin 25 with a �5 Blackberry package, as does my other half. As per other thread, the 2 packages are seperate things.
    The
    "Add Talk with BlackBerry� for just �4.25 a month and get unlimited data allowance so you can always send and receive email on your BlackBerry�.
    (�4.25 a month)"
    includes browsing

Not all carriers call it BIS mate. Dont be confused by it.
    The 8520 is a great phone
    If they are offering the email package, thats more than likely their varient of BIS.

BIS is what PUSH is attached to, to send email to your device, its what BBM needs to operate on etc. Without it the BB is really just a phone.
    12-06-09 11:26 AM
    So by the looks of things Virgin UK doesn't support BIS?

Seems strange as why would they be able to sell a Blackberry on contract without any blackberry services :S

Unless the Blackberry Access is it.. however i can't seem to find anything about it??

Am I being stupid here and missing something out?
    Its there on the tariff mate
    Unltd BlackBerry access
    + Unltd mobile internet
    That is their name for BIS

Its included on all the tariffs on the virgin site for Blackberry
    BLACKBERRY 8520 HANDHELD KIT Contract Handset - Virgin Mobile
    12-06-09 11:28 AM
    Ahhh few! I was getting worried there :P

So this "Blackberry Access" is virgins version of BIS... That would allow me to send and receive emails.. how come virgin dont have a site like orange ect do? Such as [blackberry.orange.com??

Sorry for the stupid questions.. as you can tell im new to all this :S
    12-06-09 11:37 AM
    Ahhh few! I was getting worried there :P

So this "Blackberry Access" is virgins version of BIS... That would allow me to send and receive emails.. how come virgin dont have a site like orange ect do? Such as [blackberry.orange.com??

Sorry for the stupid questions.. as you can tell im new to all this :S
    Not silly questions mate, it nice to see someone be sensible about it, rather than whining after their purchase lol.

Yeah Blackberry Access is going to give you all the bits of BIS you need to get on with things.
    As for the blackberry.orange.co.uk . That is there for online set up and account administration. Not all carriers have it, and all activate and run in different ways.
    Orange for me is the most convinient

So yes, BB Access will give you internet and email

Any other questions, fire away, I might not have the answer, but no question is too small or silly
    12-06-09 11:53 AM
    You've really help cheers

That is a really good deal then is it now aha?! I wonder how virgin are managing to sell it soo cheap.

With blackberry access i will be able to get push mail with my hotmail account and work account.. along with get on the internet using edge?! Just to confirm one more time before I click that all important order button

Thankyou again ever soo much.. really helpful!
    12-06-09 11:57 AM
    You've really help cheers

That is a really good deal then is it now aha?! I wonder how virgin are managing to sell it soo cheap.

With blackberry access i will be able to get push mail with my hotmail account and work account.. along with get on the internet using edge?! Just to confirm one more time before I click that all important order button

Thankyou again ever soo much.. really helpful!
    I assume you are looking at the 24 month tariffs.
    Just to make you aware that other carriers have the same offer. Just depends on what you carrier preference is really.

So yes, the tariff includes email and internet, hotmail will work on it. Work account is going to depend on how that is set up. Due to security protocols and set ups, some employers dont allow external access to email. You would need to check that with your company.
    EDGE will be available in 3G coverage areas, so again look at your carriers coverage for that.

Virgin �20 tariff is BIS, 200 mins, unlimited texts, free phone
    Orange �20 tariff is BIS, 400 mins, 300 texts, free phone
    Voda �25 tariff is BIS, 300 mins, unlimited texts, free phone

Hopefully Spiderhider can advise on the best TMO tariff as of the main carriers TMO and O2 make it all very complex to get a straight forward price.
    From what I can see O2 is stupidly expensive.
    Last edited by Snazy; 12-06-09 at 12:13 PM.
    12-06-09 12:10 PM
    Your an absolute star Thank you VERY much! Ordered now and can't wait to get it all up and running
    Last edited by RugbyKid; 12-06-09 at 01:00 PM.
    12-06-09 12:43 PM
    Excellent, well done you
    12-07-09 04:36 AM
    Does anyone know what a key store password is? I don't recall setting this up, is there anyway it can it be reset and how?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-09 10:26 AM
    Sprint has a voice ringtone that announces the person calling or the number if they are not in your address book. Does anyone know if something is availavle on an app for blackberry? It doesn't matter if its free or if I have to pay.

Thx in advance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-09 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD