Seeing that my Bold 9700 is about as good as this is going to get as far as this form factor I got to thinking about what else there is to do. I don't know if this has been said before buy to me it just seems logical that the newer models of bb include a surpress touchscreen and a full qwerty on the bottom. If you eliminate the trackpad and buttons and raise the ear speaker to where the current nexus one is, you can put a decent sized screen there with a touchscreen and a qwerty. What do you guys think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 07:48 PM
    dakota thread
    01-17-10 10:00 PM
    Seeing that my Bold 9700 is about as good as this is going to get as far as this form factor I got to thinking about what else there is to do. I don't know if this has been said before buy to me it just seems logical that the newer models of bb include a surpress touchscreen and a full qwerty on the bottom. If you eliminate the trackpad and buttons and raise the ear speaker to where the current nexus one is, you can put a decent sized screen there with a touchscreen and a qwerty. What do you guys think?

I think that is a good idea. I would like to see a bigger screen, it would make the web browsing experience better. The reason i didn't get the Storm is the lack of a slid down keyboard, but i do like the big screen.
    01-17-10 11:13 PM
    there wont be a lsideout keyboard but there will be a touch screen device with a qwerty, form factor of 9000.
    01-18-10 09:58 PM
    No touch screen. I don't want an iphoneberry.
    One of the main reasons I like BB is because of the LACK of a tocuhscreen. Some people do not like tocuhscreens. We like to push buttons.
    01-18-10 10:07 PM
    then get one of them that doesnt have a touch screen. The next flagship model will be a hybrid touch/qwerty with a trachpad.
    01-18-10 10:40 PM
    Touchscreen phones are not for serious texting, IMHO (in my humble opinion), and that the BlackBerry strong suit. I have had an IPhone 3Gs and a Storm 2 and I thought they both sucked for texting. Not having a primary, physical keyboard also ignores Blackberry's other strong suit: shortcuts. If you want to browse the web all day, use a freakin laptop like everyone else.

01-18-10 10:58 PM
    Touchscreen phones are not for serious texting, IMHO (in my humble opinion), and that the BlackBerry strong suit. I have had an IPhone 3Gs and a Storm 2 and I thought they both sucked for texting. Not having a primary, physical keyboard also ignores Blackberry's other strong suit: shortcuts. If you want to browse the web all day, use a freakin laptop like everyone else.

i find the storm is way better than texting and faster. i had the 9700 and its not good for any typing because the dam keys are so small. i just find sliding your finger on the touch screne so much faster and depending on weather you type on portriat view or landscape view they size of the letters change. by the way im a bad speller hahaha. but thats me i can type a millino times faster on a touch screen than on a physical keyboard
    01-18-10 11:19 PM
    i find the storm is way better than texting and faster. i had the 9700 and its not good for any typing because the dam keys are so small. i just find sliding your finger on the touch screne so much faster and depending on weather you type on portriat view or landscape view they size of the letters change. by the way im a bad speller hahaha. but thats me i can type a millino times faster on a touch screen than on a physical keyboard
    Yeah, I text SO much faster than anybody I meet that have physical keyboards. My keys are bigger and easier to hit reliably. It's beyond me why so many people insist the Storms aren't as good for emails and messaging. Personally I think they're superior. I think most people are just put off by the unfamiliar feel.
    01-19-10 02:00 AM
    It will have to do some stuff to beat my 9000 lol. Not a big fan of Blackberrys when it comes to touch screen. Iv only had the Storm. And the lag and Interface imho is not user friendly. Its slow. And aweful.

Good luck to them though. They should concentrate on previous models instead of releasing more and more new handsets.

Been waiting ages for a legit firmware upgrade. (5.0)

~Joe
    01-19-10 03:32 AM
    the surepress keyboard on my storm 2 is very easy to use and text typing friendly. i found i did a lot more "fat fingering" on my old curve than on the virtual keyboard for the storm 2.
    01-19-10 09:00 AM
    I guess I was thinking more about getting rid of the trackpad and using the surepress touchscreen as the method of input. The keyboard would be there for direct input of text only.

I agree about sliders. That's just not the RIM way. Sliders just don't have the durability that business customers require. And it's just another step you have to go through to activate the machine.

Still, a phone like the droid or tp2 which have soft and hard keyboards do seem to work ok so who knows.

01-20-10 10:21 AM
    I guess I was thinking more about getting rid of the trackpad and using the surepress touchscreen as the method of input. The keyboard would be there for direct input of text only.

I agree about sliders. That's just not the RIM way. Sliders just don't have the durability that business customers require. And it's just another step you have to go through to activate the machine.

Still, a phone like the droid or tp2 which have soft and hard keyboards do seem to work ok so who knows.

01-20-10 10:33 AM
    I would like to see a touchscreen berry on sprint. That would be nice.
    01-20-10 01:31 PM
    I like txt-ing on my storm. works well for me.
    01-20-10 02:00 PM
    Personally, I would like to see this.

If it had a touchscreen, I wouldn't see the need for the trackpad/ball.

I would never get a phone without an actual keyboard, though, because I like to touch buttons too and my fingers don't work well with a touchscreen for whatever reason. So a hybrid phone is the only touchscreen I'd invest in. A slider doesn't interest me either.

So I like this idea. But they need to be careful so they don't mess it up. I don't wanna buy a Dakota, then a Dakota 2, then a Dakota 3 just because it took them that long to get it right.
    01-20-10 05:47 PM
    The Storm 2's keyboard is WAY beyond better than the iPhone and definitely than Android.
    01-21-10 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD