Hello all, this is my first post.

I am new to blackberry after using both the iphone 3gs and the 4 and I am now hooked. I got the z10 in april after doing a bunch of research, some
    on this site, and in my mind I made the right decision. I use it for business all day, every day, and it is my primary phone. However......
    2 days ago all went wrong. It stopped turning on. I did all the online research possible....tried all the tricks....Battery out, different plugs, different
    cords, computer, wall charger, etc., and it will not turn on. I get a red blinking light. 1 blink, then 4 blinks, and repeat. This is frustrating, but
    understandable. Nothing is perfect and with any complicated piece of equipment it can break. I was unlucky...I hope just unlucky.

So today I took it to my local retailer (one of the big 3 cell companies in Canada), and sent it off for repair. This is what was very annoying. My
    service provide was unable to provide me with a replacement phone that had comparable capabilities. I do understand that I chose the phone, that it is not their fault in anyway, but I do have a long contract and it does make sense to provide customers with loner phones to keep everyone happy. I'm not asking for a new phone as a loner, but they actually couldn't even provide me with a loner blackberry phone.......The service representatives said they could provide
    me with an archaic (3-4) year old blackberry (maybe) or something else, but they told me that I was better off using my iphone 4 at home
    as my replacement while my z10 is either repaired or replaced.

This just annoyed me to no end.
    1. My New BBZ10 is broken.
    2. I can't get a replacement phone with comparable capabilities (1-2 year old phone)
    3. I'm back using my iphone 4

So as I left the store, I then I got to thinking...........what if the retailer provided me with a Samsung phone, Windows Phone, or HTC etc.? Would I have liked it better????Maybe I would have liked it so much I would have sold my z10 and bought another brand?
    So I was thinking that if RIM (or any cell phone manufacturer) made an investment and provided its retailers with previous generation
    phones (not 4 year old) as "loner" phones for people with broken ones this might make a whole bunch of people switch. In addition
    a whole bunch of people who may typically not try another phone might try their phone. Provide feedback that is different from the typical
    Apple, Rim, Windows, HTC, Samsung, "Fanboy" or "Hater" feedback. This model isn't new. It just seems strange that cellphone manufacturers don't adopt the model.

So my complaint is really about cellphone retailers, but I am annoyed my z10 is broken so soon after I bought it, and I think that cellphone manufactures have a missed opportunity to get people using their phones.

In the end.....I'm back with Apple, waiting for my z10 to come back.
    06-24-13 08:20 PM

I am new to blackberry after using both the iphone 3gs and the 4 and I am now hooked. I got the z10 in april after doing a bunch of research, some
    on this site, and in my mind I made the right decision. I use it for business all day, every day, and it is my primary phone. However......
    2 days ago all went wrong. It stopped turning on. I did all the online research possible....tried all the tricks....Battery out, different plugs, different
    cords, computer, wall charger, etc., and it will not turn on. I get a red blinking light. 1 blink, then 4 blinks, and repeat. This is frustrating, but
    understandable. Nothing is perfect and with any complicated piece of equipment it can break. I was unlucky...I hope just unlucky.

So today I took it to my local retailer (one of the big 3 cell companies in Canada), and sent it off for repair. This is what was very annoying. My
    service provide was unable to provide me with a replacement phone that had comparable capabilities. I do understand that I chose the phone, that it is not their fault in anyway, but I do have a long contract and it does make sense to provide customers with loner phones to keep everyone happy. I'm not asking for a new phone as a loner, but they actually couldn't even provide me with a loner blackberry phone.......The service representatives said they could provide
    me with an archaic (3-4) year old blackberry (maybe) or something else, but they told me that I was better off using my iphone 4 at home

2. I can't get a replacement phone with comparable capabilities (1-2 year old phone)

So as I left the store, I then I got to thinking...........what if the retailer provided me with a Samsung phone, Windows Phone, or HTC etc.? Would I have liked it better????Maybe I would have liked it so much I would have sold my z10 and bought another brand?
    So I was thinking that if RIM (or any cell phone manufacturer) made an investment and provided its retailers with previous generation
    phones (not 4 year old) as "loner" phones for people with broken ones this might make a whole bunch of people switch. In addition
    a whole bunch of people who may typically not try another phone might try their phone. Provide feedback that is different from the typical
    Apple, Rim, Windows, HTC, Samsung, "Fanboy" or "Hater" feedback. This model isn't new. It just seems strange that cellphone manufacturers don't adopt the model.

So my complaint is really about cellphone retailers, but I am annoyed my z10 is broken so soon after I bought it, and I think that cellphone manufactures have a missed opportunity to get people using their phones.

Sounds awful, best of luck, and I hope you won't give up on BlackBerry because of one (albeit unfortunate) stroke of luck.
    06-24-13 08:26 PM
    Aw man, that stinks. Hope you get your baby back soon.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 08:36 PM

If it's any consolation it should be back in less than 2 Weeks.
    06-24-13 08:41 PM
    The camera on my Z10 decide to stop focusing so I just last week had to turn it over for repairs. My retailer did provide me with a replacement temperary phone, but like you they had no blackberrys new or old to offer. So they provided me with a HTC One V.
    I've never used an Android phone before so I wondered, like you, what if I like it better?

Well, don't worry, it's not that hot. First off, this particular phone is very slow, so it's takes a long time to do anything, unlike my Z10. That's not Androids fault though. But the return of the system is just a little tiresome. The playstore is cool with so many apps, but I find it confusing to find them after they're downloaded. And to do anything you have to always return back the the home screen.

I really miss the flow of the Z10 and you don't realize how smooth it runs and how easy it is to navigate to where you want to go, and back again until you stuck using something so clunky.
    06-24-13 08:49 PM
    Hi, and welcome to CrackBerry!
    Remember to update your profile to include device, carrier, and location. Makes it easier for others to help you.
    (I guess you can update device after you get your BB back!)

... today I took it to my local retailer (one of the big 3 cell companies in Canada), and sent it off for repair. This is what was very annoying. My service provide was unable to provide me with a replacement phone that had comparable capabilities... they actually couldn't even provide me with a loner blackberry phone.......The service representatives said they could provide

Which carrier are you with?
    Were you dealing with their own corporate, a "branded" 3rd party dealer, or a different retailer?
    06-24-13 08:49 PM
    Thanks for the post. You raise a very good point. Unfortunately, just like you mentioned, the loaner phone programs are run by the carriers and therefore they can choose which phone to give you while you wait for yours to come back from being repaired.
    You make a great point and BlackBerry should definitely try to push their phones as replacement for any loaner program. I'm not sure how it actually works but it would be good for having people on other OS's to try the new BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 09:02 PM
    The problem with replacing a BB10 with any previous Blackberry is that any previous Blackberry will feel archaic, and completely unrelated to the Z10 that it is temporarily replacing. Never having used a pre BB10 BlackBerry before, it would have taken you as long to learn to use it properly as the Z10 repair, so... in this case believe it or not, since they did not have a Z10 loaner... your carrier was actually correct in suggesting you just use your old iPhone, which you are already familiar with.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 09:03 PM
    Well already seeing feedback is surprising.

I will be happy if I get the phone back in 2 weeks. I am already surprised that I miss the swiping.
    BB could provide R10's in North America for a loner program maybe?

One of the most interesting things about this experience, is that I called customer support as well to complain and my carrier said each retail location decides what phones to carry as loner phones. So depending on the location I might have different loner phone options. Strange.
    06-24-13 09:55 PM
    I've had Iphone all up to the 4. I like Blackberry bc of its security. My first blackberry was the Bold9700. I found it @ a pawnshop bc I wasn't due for an update for at least more months. I thought wanted a Z10 but waited for the Q10. Id check different places for a temporary phone until you have your Z10 back. The bold is bout 4-5 yrs old but it's still sophisticated.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 02:50 AM
    This is why I always keep a back up device. Not many here in United States offer loaner phones anymore. Currently my backup is a Nokia Lucia 820, suitable as a back up to get me through but definitely not a daily driver for me.

I soon hope to have a Q10 then I can have a Z or Q and always have a great back up device

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 likes this.
    06-25-13 05:31 AM
    Unfortunately you could have received a lemon.

I love your idea with manufactures, mainly blackberry, to provide carriers with loner devices. I'm sure that it's not that easy. I wouldn't be surprised if contracts and other agreements bar them from doing anything like that altogether. Hopefully they listen to this and make an effort to provide their users with what they want.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 06:05 AM
    The loaner phones can be pretty old but would still give you all the BlackBerry services, though if you never used an older BlackBerry, there would be a steep learning curve. You were probably better off using your iPhone than learning how to use an older BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 06:24 AM
    That's what annoys me about the cellular carriers though. They're your best friend when you want to open a contract with them. They do all they can for your signature and initial payment. They spend millions of dollars on commercials and advertising, but when the time comes that a customer needs a loner phone, they toass the customer around and say there's nothing they can do. You're in for 2 years, they have your signature. And btw. If you want to leave that carrier and break contract, then it's time to pay an early termination fee!

Exciting.
    Yes we're provided with great cellular coverage, but people NEED their cell phones nowadays. It's become a natural necessity. Denying a client what they need is no way to make business. Desire and necessity need to be distinguished.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 06:28 AM
    If this were your iPhone and if you were still under warranty period (or extended warranty through Apple Care which is 2 years for $99 in USA), you would have been able to go into any Apple store and walk out with the issue resolved.

They will even swap devices if faulty hardware. Another advantage Apple has over Blackberry.

With that said, I wish Blackberry would pick up their pace a bit with OS rollouts and customer service. It really is pretty poor.
    06-25-13 07:03 AM
    This is my fear, to get stuck without a phone.

Going back to a 9900 would be purgatory to me, I couldn't stand that device. But I do still have it along with my 9810. I would probably fire up my 9810 instead of the 9900.

When I get the Aristo I will keep my Z10 precisely because of this scenario. I wouldn't trust a loaner phone to be in good condition...what if it bricks while you're using it? If I ever have to send a phone back for repairs I would use my own backup device.

Posted from my amazing Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 06-25-13 at 07:27 AM.
    newcollector likes this.
    06-25-13 07:09 AM
    You wouldn't be able to use an older bb phone because the SIM cards aren't compatible. For the same reason, you wouldn't be able to use an iPhone 5.

While a BB loaner program might seem like a good idea, if BB started shipping these phones, the staff in the carrier stores may start telling customers that BB phones break frequently.
    06-25-13 07:38 AM
    You wouldn't be able to use an older bb phone because the SIM cards aren't compatible. For the same reason, you wouldn't be able to use an iPhone 5.

While a BB loaner program might seem like a good idea, if BB started shipping these phones, the staff in the carrier stores may start telling customers that BB phones break frequently.
    All it takes is a new SIM which they can give you when you return the phone for repairs. It's a 15 buck fee which they can waive.

I switch out phones all the time, and this is all it takes.

Posted from my amazing Z10 via CB10
    newcollector likes this.
    06-25-13 07:50 AM
    If this were your iPhone and if you were still under warranty period (or extended warranty through Apple Care which is 2 years for $99 in USA), you would have been able to go into any Apple store and walk out with the issue resolved.

They will even swap devices if faulty hardware. Another advantage Apple has over Blackberry.

With that said, I wish Blackberry would pick up their pace a bit with OS rollouts and customer service. It really is pretty poor.
    OS rollout are not left to them. It's left to the carriers who like to sit on them as long as possible.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 08:34 AM
    All good comments.

You are correct about carriers being your friend and then dropping you. Here in Canada there cell phone contracts are 3 years still. It was just
    changed recently by the government. I am surprised that carriers in the US do not offer loner phones, I would have thought that
    given the power of the American consumer this would surely be a requirement for customer retention. All this has done is reminded me that
    I will not be selling my iphone 4, just in case there is another problem.

The idea that people might get the impression that Blackberry phones break frequently is a good one. However, if a company provided
    lots of loner phones for any broken phone regardless of their manufacturer this would solve the problem. Like I said this isn't a new model,
    it just hasn't been adopted by cell phone manufacturers. I'm not saying that to provide loner phones it would be an easy job, or there wouldn't be
    a significant cost. However, the potential benefits could be huge, especially if they software is easy to use and provides benefits for the end user.

Whoever brought up the car companies is a good one. This provides another opportunity for phone test drives. I found it frustrating to test
    my z10 in the store for 10 mins before slapping down $699 for the phone (or in my case a new 3 year contract), and basically taking the
    gamble that it was the phone for me. Even car companies allow you to take it out for a drive. If cell companies provided you a loner phone (all under short term contract, and possibly some form of low cost insurance) to test drive for a week before purchase most buyers would be happy try out before they buy. Again
    logistically, there are problems....people might try 3 different phones for fun. But buying a phone after 10 mins that I am supposed to use for 3
    years seems unrealistic. But.....I guess that's the idea. Once you buy the phone you are stuck with it for better or worse, and stuck with the
    carrier for 3 years. There could be the argument that phones are not worth enough to warrant a test drive, but its the contract that makes is warranted in my opinion. Once that contract is signed the carrier doesn't care, because they will get paid either way. The more I think about it
    the more it annoys me that cell phone carriers and manufacturers are not providing services in benefit to the consumer.

Funny the more I think about the whole thing, the more I think the entire system is flawed.
    06-25-13 10:11 AM
    OS rollout are not left to them. It's left to the carriers who like to sit on them as long as possible.

Posted via CB10
    Now you understand the problem.
    06-25-13 02:14 PM
    This is why I always keep a back up device.
    Indeed. My backup device is a Palm Treo 755p. Could have it turned on this afternoon if necessary.
    06-25-13 02:35 PM
    OP. Sorry you got a bad device. There are a lot worse scenarios than having to go back to an iphone 4. The iphone 4 is a nice phone.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    06-25-13 11:29 PM
    Going to a classic BlackBerry would be complicated because they would have to provision BIS on your account.
    Exactly, data won't work on legacy BlackBerry devices if you have a BB10 phone. Plus, the OS is totally different, you still need time to figure the OS if you've never had a legacy BBOS device.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 06:22 AM
    Just to note. I am a fan of the Z10. I like it better than the iphone 4. It has all the apps I need, and is much better to send emails on and to
    manage my work. Internet is fast. I have had zero problems with the phone...until it stopped working. My iphone 4 is a great phone, and there
    are much worse scenarios, as I could have gone back to a phone with no internet capabilities. In Canada we also have a 15 day return
    if the phone is under 30 hours of talk (I think) and there is no physical damage. Again.....I do like my z10. It just stopped working. Which
    is frustrating, and then my carrier was not great to deal with.
    06-26-13 12:18 PM