Not worried about Nokia, their phone isn't even ready. The truly impressive part of their phone to me was the video stabilization. They misled everyone though and now I no longer trust anything I'm seeing out of them until a working unit is out.
    09-09-12 02:29 PM
    I think a big point nobody is mentioning...is the fact that the iphone just "works". No hourglass, no battery pulls.

RIM needs to build a solid OS that works. If they fail at this, it won't matter what the hardware specs are.

Mark

@allaboutmybb

www.allaboutmybb.com

That is a very good point! That's why Apple is so successful is because their stuff always works! And the average user won't be able to troubleshoot complicated problems as BlackBerry has sometimes.. So if it is easy and never breaks down, that's what keeps the user happy and satisfied with what they have.
    09-09-12 02:34 PM
    RIM also needs good advertisement like samsung and apple. They can make the Most amazing BB10 phone ever but with out better marketing they will not take off.
    09-09-12 03:03 PM
    The BB10 phones cannot be as good as an IPhone or an Droid.....it is going to have to be better. I believe it will. The closer we get to the release the more buzz there is. If RIM can keep the communication factor it already has and increase its Internet/ entertainment factor I believe it will be a huge success.
    09-09-12 03:49 PM
    Besides..wasn't the 9900 designed for the Blackberry die hards?

It seems so, and those devices are holding their value - you can't find a used one without a contract on Amazon or eBay under $200 (unlike the all-touch Torch).
    09-10-12 11:37 AM
    At this point, I think RIM would go for Apple's Plan A any day.

It does make me smile to see folks here sound the alarm about Apple's "stale" offerings. When the first plan yields record dividends, it's hard to call it a failure.

Change always comes. The advantage that Apple and Google have is that they have diversified cushions to weather it.
    Nobody called it a failure, just as nobody was calling BlackBerry a failure when it was redefining the cell phone market. The point here is, with so many of Apple's eggs in the iPhone basket, what's their plan B when something else inevitably comes along that can dethrone the iPhone? Because face it, iOS is no more immune to obsolescence than any other platform. They may very well have one (which RIM did not), but will it be enough to keep Apple on top of the mountain? The history of the tech industry says not likely, but who knows.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    09-11-12 07:15 AM
    Nobody called it a failure, just as nobody was calling BlackBerry a failure when it was redefining the cell phone market. The point here is, with so many of Apple's eggs in the iPhone basket, what's their plan B when something else inevitably comes along that can dethrone the iPhone? Because face it, iOS is no more immune to obsolescence than any other platform. They may very well have one (which RIM did not), but will it be enough to keep Apple on top of the mountain? The history of the tech industry says not likely, but who knows.
    Lawsuits

10 char
    09-11-12 07:20 AM
    RIM's problem isn't obsolence, but rather an absence of appreciation for consumer tastes.
    09-11-12 09:16 AM
    RIM's problem isn't obsolence, but rather an absence of appreciation for consumer tastes.
    These range, based on where you are in the world. Unfortunately, North America is pathetic and just wants the best thing ever, no matter what. These people don't realize that personal tastes can affect what one may deem as "the best". Just go on youtube for a game or anything and read the ridiculous probably-American comments/urination matches in there.

ANYway, two pointless things to mention...

1) I can't believe this stupid city I live in (London, ON.) had enough of a pseudo-reputable "tech analyst" to write an elementary-grade article just because they got a sneak peek of BB10. Even their 2 cents was diluted with "RIM's entire everything is hinging on BB10 being a grand slam" drivel.

2) Secondly, and related to the first point... I've taken a bit of a break from the forum. It's absolutely wonderful to come back and read these threads of people STILL pontificating about the future of RIM as if they have any idea in the world. When does the know-nothing consumer stop what literally amounts to brainstorming, then holding it in such high regard that they think it's even a considerable possibility, enough to come here and let it fall out of their face and fingertips?!

Man, I need a coffee or a latte or something...
    09-11-12 10:02 AM
    These range, based on where you are in the world.
    Most things "range" based on where you are in the world. Such ranging wasn't really a problem for RIM between 2002 and 2009 though, so you can't failry point to it now.

Unfortunately, North America is pathetic and just wants the best thing ever, no matter what.
    I don't see how wanting "the best thing ever, no matter what" is either unfortunate or pathetic. On the contrary, more people would describe a willingness to accept less than the best as being more "unfortunate" and "pathetic" than what you described.
    09-11-12 11:18 AM
    I don't see how wanting "the best thing ever, no matter what" is either unfortunate or pathetic. On the contrary, more people would describe a willingness to accept less than the best as being more "unfortunate" and "pathetic" than what you described.
    It's the excessive mine-has-to-be-better-than-yours mentality that this represents that he's talking about that is less-than-flattering. It is how Americans are perceived by a lot of the rest of the world -- enough is never enough. As proud as I am to be an American, I do find this aspect of our society to be marginally embarrassing at times.

What this all has to do with whatever is in BB10 that will make us go 'wow' that as yet only a handful of people are aware of, I do not know. The fact that it's coming from someone outside of RIM should be enough for us to get excited about it. But, enough is never enough....
    joski likes this.
    09-11-12 01:41 PM
    I feel like Blackberry needs to up their game in the market. I am a huge fan of BB, but in all honesty they need to work on what they already have. Better camera is a huge step for them. Just playing with the Galaxy S3's camera and then trying to use my 9330's camera. I was just sad. Along with camera, advertising is a big thing, I don't even remember the last time I saw a BB commercial. The app store is a joke. People say that Blackberry are phones for business people. They have to appeal to 15-25 demographic.

So I guess in my statement Blackberry has to become better than what is out now, up their game. Better camera, app store, and appeal to a younger generation.

I am a huge fan Blackberry and will stay with them for a while.
    09-11-12 01:43 PM
    This, to me, excites me as much as running Windows 8 on my all-in-one touchscreen PC. I really like change - even as incremental as it may be. From some of the apps I've seen previewed for BB10, along with the brief peek we've been seeing for months, I'm even just excited for the idea. My 9900 doesn't OWE me anything, after all.

Coexistence is key though. RIM doesn't take advantage of their consumers in ways that others may, with the use of buzzwords or anything like that. Sure, we had a CEO (Jim B) who has said some silly things and made some ridiculous claims, but RIM doesn't have to create something that we can't even comprehend or wrap our heads around in order to remain relevant. Everything they're doing is based on what the BlackBerry user wants, and I don't think that's a crazy claim. They're loyal. They have traits which will definitely allow them to coexist without having to constantly prove themselves that they have something better than someone else. Almost every single review or opinion piece you read until the drop of the first BB10 device will tell you otherwise, unfortunately...
    09-11-12 02:25 PM
    Even without iOS, Apple is still the most profitable (only profitable?) PC maker in the world. Its Mac profits, though relatively small compared to iPhone and iPad profits are in absolute numbers huge. Their FY2011 Mac revenues were ~20Bn. Apple does not reveal net income by segment, but before the iPod etc. Apple's net margins were around 30%, which can only have improved now since they have gained tremendous efficiencies in scale since, so I wouldnt be surprised if the Mac in itself is a $5-$6Bn Net income business (and with tremendous room for growth, considering their lack of presence internationally).
    09-13-12 03:14 PM
    Even without iOS, Apple is still the most profitable (only profitable?) PC maker in the world. Its Mac profits, though relatively small compared to iPhone and iPad profits are in absolute numbers huge. Their FY2011 Mac revenues were ~20Bn. Apple does not reveal net income by segment, but before the iPod etc. Apple's net margins were around 30%, which can only have improved now since they have gained tremendous efficiencies in scale since, so I wouldnt be surprised if the Mac in itself is a $5-$6Bn Net income business (and with tremendous room for growth, considering their lack of presence internationally).
    A fad, is a fad is a fad is a fad.

I owned an iMac once. I wanted to crush Steve Jobs' soon-to-die-anyway face after the price being cut in HALF a couple months later once the next generation was released. It's over-priced. It LOOKS pretty... But it's over-priced.

In Mac-land, people are brainwashed enough to believe they have to purchase an "Apple-branded" hard drive, since they were failing so much.

I enjoy purchasing a PC for a literal FRACTION of the cost.

PERSONALLY, I claim spiraling iPhone, then domino effect to everything else. But does the US honestly push this s**t so hard just to get out of financial crisis?
    09-13-12 03:22 PM
    I owned an iMac once. . . . It's over-priced. It LOOKS pretty... But it's over-priced.
    So, just to be clear, it's "over-priced," yet you bought it anyway, apparently because it "looked pretty.". Nice.

As the saying goes, "a fool and his money are easily parted."
    09-13-12 04:40 PM
    It's the excessive mine-has-to-be-better-than-yours mentality that this represents that he's talking about that is less-than-flattering. It is how Americans are perceived by a lot of the rest of the world -- enough is never enough. As proud as I am to be an American, I do find this aspect of our society to be marginally embarrassing at times.
    I get what you're saying, but what I don't get is how wanting less than the best would somehow cure the problem, which is what his commented suggested.
    09-13-12 04:50 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD