New BlackBerry has things 'that will make you go wow,' tech analyst says | News | Tech | Toronto Sun

I do not know what the "all glass design" part is about though.

"LONDON, Ont. � A local tech analyst got a sneak peak at the newest BlackBerry smartphone that�s widely expected to make or break Research in Motion.

Carmi Levy was part of a group of privileged tech journalists and application developers given the chance to use a soon-to-be-released RIM phone powered by the BlackBerry 10 operating system at a pre-launch stop in Kitchener, Ont.

Thought tight-lipped about details after signing a non-disclosure agreement, Levy said the new phone and operating system are �unique in the industry.�

�This is not a copycat of the iPhone or the Android device. There are things there that will make you go, �Wow,�� he said.

Many see the BlackBerry 10 launch as an important moment for the struggling Canadian tech giant, which has watched its stock tumble from $144.56 a share in 2008 to only $6.57 Friday.

Once a leader in smartphone technology, RIM is rapidly losing North American market share to Apple�s iPhone and Google�s Android.

�Quite literally, the future of the company hinges on whether BlackBerry 10-based devices succeed or fail,� Levy said. �Because essentially if they fail, the company doesn�t have a Plan B.�

The model Levy previewed had an all-glass design, similar to the iPhone, but there�s a version with a keypad in the works, he said.

The first BlackBerry 10 device is set to be released sometime between January and March 2013, a delay widely criticized for missing the busy Christmas season.

But RIM isn�t going to rush the launch, Levy said, because bringing a product to market before it�s ready would be disastrous.

�You only get one chance. If you introduce something and it�s glitchy ... your brand will be destroyed.�

Though Levy went home from last week�s pre-launch empty-handed, RIM has been travelling the world handing out early BlackBerry 10 prototypes, known as Dev Alpha, to application developers.

App developers, who previously shunned BlackBerry in favour of Apple and Google phones, are key to RIM�s rebirth, says the company.

�You can have the greatest hardware in the world, but if you have an empty app store, nobody�s going to buy,� Levy said. �Basically, they want to ensure that when you buy a BlackBerry, there will be an app for that.�
    08-31-12 07:27 PM
    I think "all glass" means full touch screen..
    08-31-12 07:47 PM
    all glass like the iphone is sure a ty way to put it then
    08-31-12 08:09 PM
    Yesterday I put the PlayBook display from dim to 40% and got a Wow from the friend haha.. The glass on display is awesome!
    08-31-12 11:36 PM
    Well here's for hoping bb10 will be successful. RIM had chances to make a plan b,c even a d years ago they passed those chances up. Now true BlackBerry users have to go an entire year without a new phone. Its getting old fast, just like RIM is dying fast.
    09-05-12 07:53 PM
    Apple is still on plan A but no one talks about it. What is their plan B if BB10 takes off? Same goes for Droid ....

Invert, always invert.
    09-05-12 10:25 PM
    Well here's for hoping bb10 will be successful. RIM had chances to make a plan b,c even a d years ago they passed those chances up. Now true BlackBerry users have to go an entire year without a new phone. Its getting old fast, just like RIM is dying fast.
    Which is why the old management is gone. They screwed up. New people are in charge of fixing the past and starting over.
    pantlesspenguin and Hgouck like this.
    09-05-12 10:34 PM
    Who the heck hacked your account? That ain't you. LOL
    09-05-12 10:36 PM
    Apple is still on plan A but no one talks about it. What is their plan B if BB10 takes off? Same goes for Droid ....

Invert, always invert.
    At this point, I think RIM would go for Apple's Plan A any day.

It does make me smile to see folks here sound the alarm about Apple's "stale" offerings. When the first plan yields record dividends, it's hard to call it a failure.

Change always comes. The advantage that Apple and Google have is that they have diversified cushions to weather it.
    jegs2 likes this.
    09-05-12 10:39 PM
    The only way RIM will survive is if they come out with something completely AMAZING!!! They have a difficult enough time keeping their current users on board... They have to "WOW" people in order to not only currently keep people with BlackBerry, but bring new users from other platforms! So basically, they have to create a product that is better then the everything else! If my iphone or Android device does everything BB10 does, why would I switch?..

So RIM must come out with something TRULY AMAZING!!! and unique!! That's the only way they will survive on their own.. I am a BlackBerry fan and want them to succeed, but I have my doubts..
    Syrous44 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-05-12 11:09 PM
    I guess there is 1 journo who was 'Wowed' so why question and kill the excitement?
    Bilaal and esk369 like this.
    09-06-12 12:26 AM
    Now that Nokia has showed their hand as well, i would be curious to see what RIM could bring to the market. Because honestly, Nokia exceeded my expectations with its camera tech. They did not just follow what other people was doing, they tried to do better. Wireless charging along with custom accessories, optical image stabilisation and other enhancements, and the interesting super sensitive touch screen. Nokia made me go wow, but i wonder if BB10 could do the same.
    09-06-12 05:48 AM

Invert, always invert.
    By my count, both "Droid" and "Android" have taken off.
    09-06-12 08:06 AM
    Which is why the old management is gone. They screwed up. New people are in charge of fixing the past and starting over.
    Not saying that the old management (Mike and Jim) didn't make any mistakes (to say the least), but they did leave their post after putting the vital pieces in place which is the very foundation of what BB10 will be. I think they deserve much credit for BB10.
    squished18 and Jake Storm like this.
    09-06-12 08:24 AM
    Now that Nokia has showed their hand as well, i would be curious to see what RIM could bring to the market. Because honestly, Nokia exceeded my expectations with its camera tech. They did not just follow what other people was doing, they tried to do better. Wireless charging along with custom accessories, optical image stabilisation and other enhancements, and the interesting super sensitive touch screen. Nokia made me go wow, but i wonder if BB10 could do the same.

I don't think there will be any delusions about BB10's targeted demographic, and if the new device never ever becomes a killer camera phone I wouldn't bat an eyelid. If RIM can deliver a killer communications device I would actually overlook the camera's shortcoming, and I believe I'm not the only one in town to think so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    09-06-12 08:28 AM
    I don't think there will be any delusions about BB10's targeted demographic, and if the new device never ever becomes a killer camera phone I wouldn't bat an eyelid. If RIM can deliver a killer communications device I would actually overlook the camera's shortcoming, and I believe I'm not the only one in town to think so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Yes! RIM needs to focus on their strengths and assert them first and foremost.

Trying to up the competition with a better camera should not be a main priority. This however doesn't mean they shouldn't put the best camera they can along with all the other bells and whistles that consumers are now expecting from a smartphone.

RIM needs to build a Blackberry for the people who have stuck with Blackberry because it's strength is that it's an efficient tool - they need to nail this and be a leader. If they can do this, BB10 will have a good chance to differentiate in an increasingly cluttered smartphone sector and have a chance at a comeback.
    jegs2 and Speedygi like this.
    09-06-12 08:42 AM
    RIM needs to build a Blackberry for the people who have stuck with Blackberry because it's strength is that it's an efficient tool - they need to nail this and be a leader. If they can do this, BB10 will have a good chance to differentiate in an increasingly cluttered smartphone sector and have a chance at a comeback.
    I disagree. RIM needs to build a smartphone for the masses, because the "people who have stuck with Blackberry" are barely keeping them afloat. Besides..wasn't the 9900 designed for the Blackberry die hards?

I believe the market has already spoken about what it want's..and an "efficient tool" is low on the priority list for the general consumer. They want glitz and glammer, and all the bells and whistles. They want a phone that will make them toast, and rub their back after a hard days work. They want a phone they can turn to, that will not judge them on what they just ate, or what they wore to Wal-mart, but will instead help them show the world what they just had for supper, and help them believe that they are, in fact, actually really cool..despite what their peers and coworkers think.

If BB10 can deliver all this, then people will flock to it
    09-06-12 08:57 AM
    If my iphone or Android device does everything BB10 does, why would I switch?..
    Because Apple and Google are evil and RIM is just incompetent. The lesser of two evils.
    drjay868 and elmit22 like this.
    09-06-12 09:14 AM
    I disagree. RIM needs to build a smartphone for the masses, because the "people who have stuck with Blackberry" are barely keeping them afloat. Besides..wasn't the 9900 designed for the Blackberry die hards?

I believe the market has already spoken about what it want's..and an "efficient tool" is low on the priority list for the general consumer. They want glitz and glammer, and all the bells and whistles. They want a phone that will make them toast, and rub their back after a hard days work. They want a phone they can turn to, that will not judge them on what they just ate, or what they wore to Wal-mart, but will instead help them show the world what they just had for supper, and help them believe that they are, in fact, actually really cool..despite what their peers and coworkers think.

If BB10 can deliver all this, then people will flock to it
    Let me clarify further. RIM must give ALL the features and more that people want, expect, need in a smartphone and deliver those things on a high level. The one thing however they must nail more than the rest is defining and refining the Blackberry experience on BB10 opposed to, for instance, competing with Nokia on having the best camera. I take it from seeing the Lumia 920 that was unveiled, that Nokia is trying to define themselves from the rest by being flashy with their design and having the best camera. Whereas Blackberry needs to continue to define themselves by having a high end powerful, multitasking, classy device which is still the best communication tool and typing experience on the planet as well as having all the bells, whistles and kitchen sink.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-06-12 09:58 AM
    I love my BB but my biggest gripe is the camera. I've seen better cameras on phones a lot cheaper than my 9360, that come with autofocus and cool filters standard. , even my ancient Nokia 1680 could crop and rotate!! While I'm not a total photography nut, I would love to be able to snap cool hi-res photos when I'm out and about without having to carry a digital camera with me. I want all in one. I seriously hope BB10 will address the up till now sub-standard camera issue - for me personally that would swing my vote. Otherwise my next one is a galaxy or xperia...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    09-06-12 10:19 AM
    I love my BB but my biggest gripe is the camera. I've seen better cameras on phones a lot cheaper than my 9360, that come with autofocus and cool filters standard. , even my ancient Nokia 1680 could crop and rotate!! While I'm not a total photography nut, I would love to be able to snap cool hi-res photos when I'm out and about without having to carry a digital camera with me. I want all in one. I seriously hope BB10 will address the up till now sub-standard camera issue - for me personally that would swing my vote. Otherwise my next one is a galaxy or xperia...

I agree that having a decent camera (better than on my Bold 9900) is something I would also want when BB10 arrives (would be fine with similar quality as the Playbook)

The Bold 9900 takes pretty good pictures outside when its bright and sunny but awful pictures indoors in low light. I would say most phone cameras suffer from the same issue because the lens is smaller than a smartie in most cases. I know the Lumia 920 has the digital processing to help this but I still can't believe that the picture would be even close to a decent digital camera.

Truly, how good can pictures on a smartphone ever get as the limitations will always be the size of the lens and thus how important is it to have the best of the worst possible picture you can take?
    09-06-12 10:45 AM
    I hear ya, gwanstarr!

09-06-12 11:45 AM
    I agree. The Nokia features have me a little worried about RIM's ability to compete with them.
    09-06-12 01:46 PM
    Who the heck hacked your account? That ain't you. LOL
    Idk what happened just saw this rubbish.
    09-09-12 01:24 PM
    I think a big point nobody is mentioning...is the fact that the iphone just "works". No hourglass, no battery pulls.

RIM needs to build a solid OS that works. If they fail at this, it won't matter what the hardware specs are.

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    jegs2 likes this.
    09-09-12 02:10 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD