My girlfriend got me a Blackberry 9810 unlocked for Christmas from the UK-based Simply**Electronics (dot) com. I just got it. However, after the excitement boiled over, I noticed a few things that make me worry about what I got.

1. the box was a bit banged up
    2. the phone has an AT&T logo. The phone was supposed to be unbranded, and this being Europe, why would it have an AT&T logo?
    3. the security seal on the box was broken

I'm wondering what should I do? I haven't turned it on or anything as I don't want it to affect my rights. Could this be a refurbished or used or stolen phone passed off as new? The battery and everything else inside the box looks sealed and as new, but then again, you can get these accessories separately. The only thing that looked out of place was an unsealed cheap-looking UK plug adapter, as the box also contained a sealed US power plug.

I wonder, does Blackberry sell unlocked handsets in Europe directly, or does buying an unlocked handset automatically mean that someone had to break the security seal to unlock it? Or did they just unseal the box just to add a UK plug adapter? Can I call RIM to check? I can't exactly call Simply**Electronics since they look a bit shady (which we learned AFTER trying to deal with their customer service).

This is my first Blackberry (I've hated my Android since the day I bought it) and I'd appreciate any assistance. Thanks!
    Last edited by frisettes; 01-11-12 at 03:01 AM.
    01-10-12 06:06 PM
    there usual the meid on the side of the box . those numbers match the one on the phone. check that way.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-10-12 08:21 PM
    Check the IMEI numbers, on the box and phone. If they match then its an american phone unlocked. hopefully its new.

If they don't match, raise bloody .
    01-10-12 08:31 PM
    Sound like they open the box to input the code on the phone. Phones don't come unlocked from the carriers.
    01-10-12 08:32 PM
    I checked, yes the IMEI on the box matches the IMEI on the phone. But what exactly does this prove? How do I know that this is a new phone and not a returned / defective one passed off as new?
    01-11-12 02:47 AM
    I checked, yes the IMEI on the box matches the IMEI on the phone. But what exactly does this prove? How do I know that this is a new phone and not a returned / defective one passed off as new?
    I'm not sure, but that is the risk you take when you don't buy from BlackBerry, or a specific carrier.
    01-11-12 04:37 AM
    I guess you're right. Just that Blackberry doesn't sell unlocked phones, and because I travel a lot a locked phone just makes no sense for me.
    01-11-12 05:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD