12:05 PM
    We all know BlackBerry is collapsing in America, so the new Kantar Worldpanel data showing its market share slipping below 2% in the United States is no shocker. Research In Motions (RIMM) performance in its second major market the United Kingdom is also pretty much as expected. Its UK market share slipped from 19% to 8% between the three months ending in October 2011 and the autumn of 2012.

But what really pops out in the new Kantar data is BlackBerrys performance in Brazil and the Mediterranean region, two crucially important markets for RIM. Relatively strong low-end BlackBerry sales in Latin America and the Mediterranean have kept RIMs subscriber base north of 80 million globally. BlackBerry is relatively weak in India and almost non-player in China unlike Nokia (NOK), HTC (2498) or LG (066570), RIM is unusually dependent on Brazil, Spain and France.

The Kantar autumn numbers in these markets are brutal. BlackBerrys share tanked from 24% to 3% in Spain in just one year. RIMs share is also down from 9% to 3% in Brazil and down from 16% to 7% in France.

RIM has a very different device profile in these markets than in the U.S. or the UK. Its Latin American and Mediterranean power was built on cheap, old Curve models and thats how RIM maintained its grip on these markets even as its high-end business device sales in the U.S. and UK caved in.

The low-end smartphone market often shows slower market share shifts than the high-end market in the most affluent countries in the world. That is why the latest Spanish and Brazilian figures are so devastating. RIM may be launching new high-end phones in the first quarter next year, but how long will it take for the company to roll out strong new models in the low-end market where it now has to compete against entries like Nokias Asha 205 that offer Facebook, Twitter and email support at 65 euro price-point? Or Huawei and ZTE Android models pushing Android prices to 100 euros?

The U.S. weakness has been deeply damaging for RIM. But its new Brazilian and Spanish share losses may be the nail in the coffin.

UPDATE: RIM contacted BGR via email with the following statement in response Kantars autumn report:

We understand the competitive nature of the global smartphone market and the need for innovation. We are confident that BlackBerry 10 will provide our customers with an exciting alternative to our competitors and we are committed to regaining market share.

BlackBerry market share 2012: Brazil and Spain real disasters for RIM | BGR
    11-28-12 04:23 PM
    Ouch...In B4 "lul BGR r trolls"
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-28-12 04:32 PM
    Well, there is a way forward. If this was 12 months ago, it would be REALLY bad. We know BB10 is coming. We'll see how the market responds.
    11-28-12 04:34 PM
    lul BGR r trolls (had to, lol)
    11-28-12 04:34 PM
    Nothing (and I mean nothing) brings out the rage like an early evening post from BGR...
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    11-28-12 04:35 PM

We understand the competitive nature of the global smartphone market and the need for innovation. We are confident that BlackBerry 10 will provide our customers with an exciting alternative to our competitors and we are committed to regaining market share.
    Unfortunately Apple and all the Microsoft and Android manufactures are just as committed to continue to grow their market share... I hope RIM has kept back some really big announcements for when they release BB10!
    11-28-12 05:00 PM
    This almost makes me wonder about their 80 million subscriber base and how accurate those numbers really are..
    11-28-12 05:17 PM
    Unfortunately Apple and all the Microsoft and Android manufactures are just as committed to continue to grow their market share... I hope RIM has kept back some really big announcements for when they release BB10!
    Exactly. If RIM has big announcements, it had better be along the lines of big name developers on board, or they won't be regaining anything. Nowadays, it's all about the ecosystem more than the experience. Win8 is in the same books..slick, user-friendly UI, but paltry app selection.
    11-28-12 05:20 PM
    This almost makes me wonder about their 80 million subscriber base and how accurate those numbers really are..
    it probably helps that India and Indonesia have enormous populations and they've been looking at other markets.

I knew Latin America was big for RIM, but I didn't think Brazil was one of those countries that was actually big for them.

Again - is anyone surprised right now?

- If you aren't loyal to BlackBerry, there is newer, better hardware on the market ... and it's often cheaper than the 18 month old BB7 devices. Why would you buy one?

- If you are loyal to BlackBerry, are you going to buy one of these devices when you know BlackBerry 10 devices are less than 90 days away?
    Rickroller and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-28-12 05:21 PM
    Don't hold your breath on that though. I really don't think RIM will surprise anyone with something head-turning on release day.
    11-28-12 05:26 PM
    And lot of people will be watching come the 30th....but even some of the people that have always claimed RIM would be dead by now.

The better show up ready to deliver the goods. They better have some HUGE surprises
    11-28-12 05:31 PM
    RIM may be launching new high-end phones in the first quarter next year, but how long will it take for the company to roll out strong new models in the low-end market where it now has to compete against entries like Nokia’s Asha 205 that offer Facebook, Twitter and email support at 65 euro price-point? Or Huawei and ZTE Android models pushing Android prices to 100 euros?
    That there is the key question. How soon, if ever, can RIM make BB10 devices to compete with these bargain models?

- If you are loyal to BlackBerry, are you going to buy one of these devices when you know BlackBerry 10 devices are less than 90 days away?
    I doubt if the low-end international market is aware of, much less waiting for, BB10.

Here's a link to the Kantar Worldpanel PDF that BGR based it's report on.
    beemaabeemababy likes this.
    11-28-12 05:35 PM
    Win8 is in the same books..slick, user-friendly UI, but paltry app selection.
    Are you talking about WP8 or Win 8 RT? They're both pretty much on the same level...

I will be rocking an L-Series, an LTE PB and a Surface Pro personally...
    11-28-12 05:37 PM
    Don't hold your breath on that though. I really don't think RIM will surprise anyone with something head-turning on release day.
    Do you know something the rest of us don't?
    11-28-12 06:04 PM
    That there is the key question. How soon, if ever, can RIM make BB10 devices to compete with these bargain models?
    Probably they will use the same game plan as they have with the curves. The BB10 OS and hopefully apps will be second to none from what we see. No reason to believe RIM can't start putting out BB10 curves asap.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-28-12 06:04 PM
    it probably helps that India and Indonesia have enormous populations and they've been looking at other markets.

I knew Latin America was big for RIM, but I didn't think Brazil was one of those countries that was actually big for them.

Again - is anyone surprised right now?

- If you aren't loyal to BlackBerry, there is newer, better hardware on the market ... and it's often cheaper than the 18 month old BB7 devices. Why would you buy one?

Yeah, you may have it in a nutshell there, basically RIM's facing the Osborne effect here, big time.
    11-28-12 06:12 PM
    Yeah, you may have it in a nutshell there, basically RIM's facing the Osborne effect here, big time.
    Fortunately, they're not stumbling under the weight of debt like Osborne. Love or hate Mike and Jim, they were quite good about making sure RIM functioned and grew without borrowing money ...
    11-29-12 12:09 PM
    Goldman Sachs not a subscriber i take it?
    11-29-12 12:20 PM