The new man in the seat. I like the confidence.

New BlackBerry COO: We're Going to Prove a Lot of People Wrong - The CIO Report - WSJ

By CLINT BOULTON
    Reporter

NEW YORK CITY — Despite facing significant challenges from Apple Inc. and Android smartphones, BlackBerry Ltd.BB.T +2.62% is poised to take advantage of an emerging market for Web-connected devices, said new COO Marty Beard. From mobile phones, to connected cars and medical machines, BlackBerry sees the Internet of Things devices as the next green field in mobile. Mr. Beard’s job is to help the company sell software that helps manage and secure those devices. BlackBerry said it will target its technology towards the government, financial, health care and energy sectors.

Mr. Beard, who joined the company July 21 after serving three years as CEO of cloud software maker LiveOps Inc., spoke to reporters at a media event here Tuesday. This is an edited transcript of the interview.

What is your day-to-day role with the company?

I’m going to be involved in everything from marketing, to the way we’re manufacturing, to the way we’re selling solutions, bringing in enterprise application partners and customer support, which will become increasingly important as we move deeper into the enterprise. Our goal is to be as efficient as possible.

What’s your first priority?

Making sure the operational efficiency around product launches is as tight as it can be. We’ve got a very busy fall coming up… in terms of new devices and software. I’ve got to make sure the connection between all of our groups is as efficient as possible, but we need to be flexible and more nimble because mobile moves so fast. We see opportunity and we have the assets and that’s great, but it doesn’t mean anything unless you bring them together as quickly as possible.

What does BlackBerry need to get back to being iconic?

We need to meet operation goals, which is to be cash flow positive by the end of next year (and profitable by the end of 2016). Then we have to be successful selling into verticals, to be able to show customers as references. Then comes broader growth. It’s an execution challenge, but the brand equity in the enterprise is there.

What are your thoughts on the Apple-IBM partnership?

It highlights that enterprise mobility is important. It takes a lot of work to make those successful. The market is enormous, so even if they are wildly successful, there’s a huge market. Obviously it’s competition, but that doesn’t mean they win 100% of the market.

Some would see it as a risk to go to a company that has struggled. Why join BlackBerry?

No. I have extremely high confidence we will meet the operational goals. Let’s say you join a company at the top of mountain, and all you try to do is stay at the top of the mountain. They’re are risks associated with that. Staying at the top is not a no-brainer. Over the last five to 10 years, we’ve seen incredible whipsaws in mobility. There will be more [market leader changes] and we can’t predict exactly which ones there will be. So there is risk in transforming yourself, but there is also a huge opportunity in the direction we’re going. I love when people think something is done or that you’ve lost A, B, or C. I’m very competitive so I love that challenge. I think that we’re going to prove a lot of people wrong.
    BruvvaPete and LuvULongTime like this.
    07-31-14 06:04 AM
    Nice read. Thanks for sharing.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    07-31-14 06:26 AM