I recently purchased a new blackberry - now after about a week of having it - it constantly shows an hourglass icon every 5 to 10 seconds. The symbol sticks around for a second or two and then goes away. It appears no matter what I am doing - using the calender, messages, brickbreaker, even on the home screen when I am doing nothing. For that second or two, all action is suspended, if I type during this hourglass time, nothing will appear. The phone will catch up with my typing after the the hourglass goes away. If I am using brickbreaker - the black ball will freeze for the second or two, and then reappear where it should be after two seconds of movement.

What could be causing this strange issue?
    09-08-09 01:54 AM
    What's your file free?
    Options>status....just below.

It should be above 12mb ideally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 01:59 AM
    What's your file free?

This.

Make sure you are closing your apps completely when you are done using them. Pressing the red button will only "minimize" it and keep it running in the background.

Pressing the menu button in an app and scrolling to close or exit will close the app completely.
    09-08-09 04:41 AM
    What's your file free?

It is at about 34mb, but the hourglass and general slugishness still occurs. Is there anything I can do?
    09-11-09 06:11 AM
    reboot by pulling the battery. thats a good start.
    09-11-09 06:36 AM
    ^^Battery pull is always a good start.

Are you using Facebook, Viigo, or some other (or multiple) app(s) that push updates frequently? If so, try either removing or configuring so as to not update automatically.

09-11-09 08:56 AM
    reboot by pulling the battery. thats a good start.
    I have never met anyone who has a Blackberry without major problems - so I am well aware of the need to frequently pull the battery! I generally pull it once or twice a day.

To answer your question jbeachy, sometimes the hourglass will come after a complete restart and running or starting no applications other than messages and the address book or call log. I turned off GPS to see if that helps but it did not make a difference.
    09-12-09 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD