Hey All,

I'm new to crackberry, and am in need of some help (if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize). I currently have a Motorola KZR, and want to get up to date with the times and upgrade my phone. I've had it for like 4 years or so. It's starting to break down on me (not that I'm complaining, i've gotten my money's worth), and my US Cellular contract is up. I'm looking to purchase a new phone either around Black Friday (day after T.Giving) or around XMas. I've admired Blackberries from afar from seeing what they can do with friends, online, etc. I feel I'm in a great position since I don't have any commitment to a specific phone brand or cell phone company. So, I'm basicallly starting from scratch and want to know the best route to go in.

I plan on switching phone companies since US Cellular doesn't really have as sweet of phones as other companies. I'm leaning towards Verizon Wireless, but am still open to all other companies. So, here are my options thusfar.

-Blackberry Tour
    -Blackberry Storm2
    -Blackberry Bold 9700
    -IPhone
    -Wait for the Tour2.
    -Other (some other phone I might not have come across or know about)

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated, as I know only a little about these phones just from what i've read, but don't have personal experience with them. I plan on using the phone for basic talking, txtng, internet usage/youtube, and music playing. So basically, nothing too special/extensive.

Thanks in advance!

Rickey
    11-02-09 06:45 AM
    bump. any help would be appreciated guys. thanks!
    11-03-09 06:37 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry. It is difficult to answer your question because the choice is so subjective. A hundred people could post here; each would have different priorities and preferences, and still none of them would match yours. :-) All the devices you list will do what you want, including the iPhone.

The iPhone has some devotees even here on CB. I think of the iPhone as oriented toward the rich multi-media environment that Apple has created with huge success. I'm personally not an iPhone fan for my use because my needs are much more business-oriented toward communication, scheduling management, and full-fledged document management; this is where BlackBerry rocks the world. YMMV.

The functionality of the current generation of BlackBerry devices is fairly similar. One of the obvious differences is physical layout: the Storm/Storm2 of course uses touch-screen technology, while the others all have a keyboard. So that's a major decision point.

One functional difference is that some have wifi, some don't. My Curve doesn't and I find 3G speed mostly quite adequate for Internet browsing and data transfer; wifi is faster but obviously you have to be in a wifi hotspot to enjoy it.

Another functional difference is GSM vs CDMA . Sprint and Verizon use CDMA, pretty much everyone uses GSM. If you travel to other countries, you might consider a carrier that uses GSM vs CDMA, or a "world phone" from a CDMA carrier. GSM is the standard in most countries abroad.

Go to some stores and play with some devices, find one that feels comfortable, then go forth and conquer! :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jbeachy; 11-03-09 at 07:11 AM.
    11-03-09 07:08 AM
    I agree with beachy here. First thing to do is to decide on a carrier that is going to serve u best. This will then determine if you should get a GSM or a CDMA device. Then its just a matter of which features you are looking for.

11-03-09 08:12 AM
    This is going to be my personal opinion, in the end it is you and your intuition that makes the final decision. I've had AT&T with iphones, a couple bbberrys (the bold being my last one) and i have to say that its coverage is terrible. I couldn't get service at home and i live in Manhattan. The 3g service kicks in and out all the time and i had to suft the web in EDGE several times. I went back to Verizon and i couldn't be happier. The internet service is super fast and so reliable.
    I honestly believe that you could have a very solid piece of hardware like the bold but you won't be able to see the benefits due to the network. I'd suggest for you to go VZ but again this is my opinion. A couple days ago i switched from a Tour to a Storm2 and I'm pretty happy.
    Hope this helps

11-03-09 11:01 AM
    Thanks guys for your opinions/input. I'm strongly leaning towards Verizon, which would narrow my options down to the Storm2, the Tour, or wait for the Tour2 if it's not much later than January or so. I guess I'll just do some research to see how the Storm2 is doing (how good the touchscreen is, etc) and maybe go from there.

Still, any other input is appreciated on the comparisions/contrasts of the phones I listed, and and suggestions. Thanks again!
    11-03-09 03:53 PM
    Check out the Motorola Droid coming out on Verizon this Friday.

Most reviews have this phone a close second, only the the iPhone 3GS.

11-03-09 05:12 PM
    The DROID is a fine phone, but let's be honest the OS not. Although same can be said for a BlackBerry... So let your wallet decide

11-03-09 05:20 PM
    Sure, the OS is a little rough. But it's hard to beat free turn-by-turn GPS navigation. Did I mention FREE?

11-03-09 06:21 PM
    To the OP, you know how the main screen on your KRZR compares to that postage stamp sized outer screen? That's how the MAIN screen on your KRZR is going to look next to the Droid's 3.7 inch high res screen.

11-03-09 06:28 PM
    hahaha, thanks xrider.

sooooo as of right now, it looks like it's coming down to the Storm2, the Droid, or wait for the Tour 2. i gotta go to a store to check these out in the next week or 2, and probably make my final decision around Black Friday or Xmas at the latest. does anybody know yet how much the droid will be after a 2 yr contract agreement?
    11-03-09 10:54 PM
    $199.99 after $100 rebate w/2 year contract.

11-03-09 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD