If I would have been at BlackBerry 's top, putting some money to anyhow develop a BB10 skin over the stock android would have been a better deal for me rather than putting a huge amount in developing a new BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    There were many here that taught that was the route that BlackBerry should have taken back in 2010. Basically copied what Amazon did, with a focus on security..... Probably could have accomplished that and released a phone early in 2011.

But in the end the "market" (developers) don't seem to care for these fringe Android Stores.... eventually BlackBerry probably would have had to go full Google anyway.

But then with 70 Million users in 2011... how many might have stuck with BlackBerry if there had been apps? If the company had been large enough to compete on hardware and features?

But the past is the past.... and BB10 and the legacy BB10 phones are the past. Doubt Chen has given any taught to spending money on the past. His focus is seeing if he can keep the hardware business going... and that means selling new phones.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    08-18-16 08:32 AM
    All I want is a BB Passport with a VKB running BBOS 10 or if forced Android, but with the capabilities of the Note 7.
    08-18-16 11:16 AM
    There were many here that taught that was the route that BlackBerry should have taken back in 2010. Basically copied what Amazon did, with a focus on security..... Probably could have accomplished that and released a phone early in 2011.

But in the end the "market" (developers) don't seem to care for these fringe Android Stores.... eventually BlackBerry probably would have had to go full Google anyway.

But then with 70 Million users in 2011... how many might have stuck with BlackBerry if there had been apps? If the company had been large enough to compete on hardware and features?

But the past is the past.... and BB10 and the legacy BB10 phones are the past. Doubt Chen has given any taught to spending money on the past. His focus is seeing if he can keep the hardware business going... and that means selling new phones.
    The forked Android route was obviously far more sensible. The Amazon Appstore/ecosystem is not bad at all.
    08-18-16 11:40 AM

What Chen is thinking is what most of the people are not getting. Don't know what he is going for. He never wants to take a look at what the customers are demanding, and the results are in front of everyone. DTek50 might feel premium in hand, but the design language is same as most of the local Indian companies are providing at 6-7k while BlackBerry will price it at about 18-20k.

They should seriously have to change their decision making, otherwise losses are all what they will get.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 11:59 AM
    The forked Android route was obviously far more sensible. The Amazon Appstore/ecosystem is not bad at all.
    The Amazon appstore is a graveyard of outdated apps. With the demise of the Fire, it won't be around much longer I suspect.

The biggest issue for BlackBerry on BB10 was the lack of Google Play Services, which a good majority of the top apps now require.

The forked route is a dead end for these reasons alone.
    08-18-16 12:17 PM
    The Amazon appstore is a graveyard of outdated apps. With the demise of the Fire, it won't be around much longer I suspect.

The biggest issue for BlackBerry on BB10 was the lack of Google Play Services, which a good majority of the top apps now require.

Agree... in the end if they had gone that route, I doubt Android developers would have been willing to port Apps to BBW for an Android powered phone, any more than the did for ones running BB10 with an Android Runtime.
    08-18-16 01:23 PM
    What Chen is thinking is what most of the people are not getting. Don't know what he is going for. He never wants to take a look at what the customers are demanding, and the results are in front of everyone. DTek50 might feel premium in hand, but the design language is same as most of the local Indian companies are providing at 6-7k while BlackBerry will price it at about 18-20k.

They should seriously have to change their decision making, otherwise losses are all what they will get.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that the rebranding strategy is simply a company in its death throes. This is merely the obvious choice but not the creative choice or the innovative choice. Doing the safe and obvious is a guarantee for failure in this strategic position.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 01:23 PM

Amazon Appstore is alive and well because of the Fire tablets, do you mean the Fire phone?
    08-19-16 04:09 AM
    All I want is a BB Passport with a VKB running BBOS 10 or if forced Android, but with the capabilities of the Note 7.
    Why don't you just get a Note 7? I was a big Newton MessagePad user in the late 90's and miss the Stylus. Writing on the MP felt natural, almost as if I wasn't using a piece of technology. Nothing has replaced that feeling. I pine for the Stylus like PKB supporters pine for the keyboard.

I have used a lot of Samsung devices and the only thing stopping me from getting the Note 7 is their bloatware and TouchWiz.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 08:03 AM
    Why don't you just get a Note 7? I was a big Newton MessagePad user in the late 90's and miss the Stylus. Writing on the MP felt natural, almost as if I wasn't using a piece of technology. Nothing has replaced that feeling. I pine for the Stylus like PKB supporters pine for the keyboard.

I have used a lot of Samsung devices and the only thing stopping me from getting the Note 7 is their bloatware and TouchWiz.

Posted via CB10
    Get a Surface 3 -- not pro -- and install 8.1 on it.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 06:28 PM

The day that Google services will be declared illegal and against free competition, which is probably not far from happening, at least here in Europe, BlackBerry10 could be sold *with* Google Play and find its reason for being.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 08:04 PM
    The day that Google services will be declared illegal and against free competition, which is probably not far from happening, at least here in Europe, BlackBerry10 could be sold *with* Google Play and find its reason for being.

Posted via CB10
    That would be awesome. Chen complained that app makers should be forced to release apps on all platforms -- including BB10.

I guess Chen could not point the finger at Google for political reasons. Also, the US government is too corrupt in 2016 to take anti-trust action against Google.

I hope the EU comes down on Google and the Play store.

Posted via CB10
    deadcowboy likes this.
    08-21-16 03:32 AM
    That would be awesome. Chen complained that app makers should be forced to release apps on all platforms -- including BB10.
    I think a more realistic approach would be an open app standard that would work universally on all phones and developers then forced to create for this standard. This approach would not replace current app markets/environments but would be in addition to. So devs would produce apps for Android, iOS or whatever market they desire but would also require an app developed that is compliant with this open standard.

Smartphone manufactures would also be required to ensure there OS is also compliant with this open standard to ensure these apps will truly work cross platform.

This isn't a perfect solution and not great for accessing custom APIs or unique features in a smartphone, might work a little like java or how HTML works (just more powerful). Something like this would probably work sandboxed as a top layer and the smartphone would have to translate it to work with their own Api which means lacking in performance. But at the same time it would also mean anybody could make a smartphone with a custom OS and instantly have access to this marketplace.
    08-21-16 04:19 AM
    I have Passport and Priv as my daily drivers. I use the Passport for emails and Priv for phone calls and apps and the rear camera. The best part is I have Unlimited Global Blackberry Data plan and Using Multi Sim Cards ( Two sim cards Same Number ) for both devices . I have luxury to switch the devices. Yes you are absolutely correct that it may not be very productive to carry two devices but in my case I have made it productive for my advantage.

Wish an American company would allow this! You just have to type like pound and a number to switch versus swapping the sim every time, correct? Awesome! I know of no American companies to offer this if I did, I would do the Same exact thing you are doing!

Posted via CB10
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    08-21-16 06:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    I really like the extra width of the Passport without the extra length. Fits pockets better, easier to read.
    deadcowboy likes this.
    08-22-16 11:01 AM
    I really like the extra width of the Passport without the extra length. Fits pockets better, easier to read.
    ^^^^^^This. Yes, if the Passport was long it would be a problem for me. I like the form the way it is. When I first saw the device, I hated it and said I would never buy it lol.
    deadcowboy likes this.
    08-22-16 11:04 AM
    I think a more realistic approach would be an open app standard that would work universally on all phones and developers then forced to create for this standard. This approach would not replace current app markets/environments but would be in addition to. So devs would produce apps for Android, iOS or whatever market they desire but would also require an app developed that is compliant with this open standard.

Smartphone manufactures would also be required to ensure there OS is also compliant with this open standard to ensure these apps will truly work cross platform.

This isn't a perfect solution and not great for accessing custom APIs or unique features in a smartphone, might work a little like java or how HTML works (just more powerful). Something like this would probably work sandboxed as a top layer and the smartphone would have to translate it to work with their own Api which means lacking in performance. But at the same time it would also mean anybody could make a smartphone with a custom OS and instantly have access to this marketplace.
    at that point, a web app makes more sense

but i like your thought process
    08-22-16 02:14 PM

I guess Chen could not point the finger at Google for political reasons. Also, the US government is too corrupt in 2016 to take anti-trust action against Google.

I hope the EU comes down on Google and the Play store.

Posted via CB10
    Some of Google's strong arming of their Handset Alliance members... probable is anti-competitive by some standards. But changing those tactics isn't going to "open" Google Play to all.....

Creating a marketplace for your OS isn't, as far as I know. Google doesn't punish developers if they decided to create apps for iOS, Windows, FireFox, Tizen, Sailfish or BB10.... That decision to not support other platforms is pretty much made due to marketshare. Maybe Android is of itself anti competitive... as Google just gives it away. Chen's complaint about app makers.... was STUPID. There is simply no way you can expect developers to be forced to port their apps to every less than 1% platform on the market. Where would you draw the line? .001%

I doubt we'll ever see the "opening" of Google Play to other platforms. Do expect some fines and maybe some changes in the way Google builds Android... in other words gone will be the "open source" code and probable even the base on what Android is built (Fuchsia ?). In the end, making it just as closed off as iOS and the Apple world is. And making it even harder for these little guys to live off of the Android life blood....

In the end... too little too late is what happened. Only Apple and Android really focused back in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 on providing a mobile operating system and an ECOSYSTEM. But these "DUMMIES" that fiddle faddle around to 2013 and later... they reaped the rewards of being too late to market with immature products that just could not compete.

You simple can't fault developers.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    08-22-16 02:44 PM
    I think a more realistic approach would be an open app standard that would work universally on all phones and developers then forced to create for this standard.
    Sounds like slavery to me...
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-22-16 02:44 PM
    If they come up with another bb10, i will definitely buy one. I hope they sort things out with google to run android app using bb10.
    08-22-16 03:43 PM
    If they come up with another bb10, i will definitely buy one. I hope they sort things out with google to run android app using bb10.
    Can't happen so for so many reasons, it's not happening.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-22-16 05:20 PM
    Have faith in the Chen. He's a man of his word. :P
    deadcowboy likes this.
    08-22-16 05:52 PM
    LOL

Posted via CB10
    08-22-16 06:18 PM
    So are many of our politicians . I always believe the opposite until there is proof in the pudding.
    08-22-16 07:04 PM
    In blackberry we trust!
    08-22-16 07:35 PM
364 ... 12131415