BB10 being software, it makes perfect sense to me.
    In that case please run diagnostics on the component between chair and keyboard.
    The BB10 development team is gone, all that remains is a sustaining team.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 08-16-16 at 01:45 PM.
    08-16-16 01:24 PM
    In that case please run diagnostics on the component between chair and keyboard.
    The BB10 development team is gone, all that remains is a sustaining team.
    I would question the use of the word "team"?
    08-16-16 02:12 PM
    If they want to sweep bb10 under the rug they should release android images for all their bb10 line so in 5 years bb10 will be forgotten and people will swear the Z10 was released with android.
    08-17-16 07:16 AM
    If they want to sweep bb10 under the rug they should release android images for all their bb10 line so in 5 years bb10 will be forgotten and people will swear the Z10 was released with android.
    How much would you pay them for this software replacement for the BB10 devices?

And how would Marshmallow perform on a dual core CPU with 2gb of ram?

Classic /10.3.2.2639 / Telus
    08-17-16 07:28 AM
    I would question the use of the word "team"?
    The last BB10 guy:

New BlackBerry 10 Device coming? COO says maybe-hi-office-cubicle.jpg
    08-17-16 09:41 AM

Probably run just as well as BB10 does, or better.... Nexus 5x only has 2GB of Ram, and the number of cores isn't a huge issue, unless you are running a lot of background process...

Other than software to unlock the bootrom and allow for the installation (probably wouldn't be too hard or expensive) not much BlackBerry would need to do. Might already have a solution depending on how they installed Android on the Passport???

Really the reason it won't happen is because of security.... those phones were sold as being secure and locked. Creating a way to install a new OS, might for some customers be a "security" risk. But then there would also be no benefit for BlackBerry..... a little good will maybe.
    08-17-16 10:15 AM

3 year OS life is a little unsettling so retro android images would be a nice way of clean up and transition to their next bb product. If older hardware can't support it then I guess it would limit devices that can support the android images.
    08-17-16 10:40 AM
    3 year OS life is a little unsettling so retro android images would be a nice way of clean up and transition to their next bb product. If older hardware can't support it then I guess it would limit devices that can support the android images.
    If a software based solution was available that could be sold with similar profit opportunity as DTEK50, I'm sure it would already be offered for sale. I mean, look how low priced DTEK50 is. How much profit are they really making off DTEK50?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-17-16 10:47 AM
    So if Nissan was changing to rotary engines in all its new cars, you would hope to get a rotary engine installed for free in your 2013 Sentra?
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    08-17-16 10:48 AM
    So if Nissan was changing to rotary engines in all its new cars, you would hope to get a rotary engine installed for free in your 2013 Sentra?
    Heck yeah! It's still under warranty!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ranty-1066435/

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    08-17-16 03:22 PM
    If a software based solution was available that could be sold with similar profit opportunity as DTEK50, I'm sure it would already be offered for sale. I mean, look how low priced DTEK50 is. How much profit are they really making off DTEK50?

Low development cost in the DTEK vs BB10.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    08-17-16 05:47 PM
    Low development cost in the DTEK vs BB10.

Exactly.....

08-17-16 06:06 PM
    Okay. So Passport only. How much would you pay for that upgrade?

08-17-16 06:06 PM
    Okay. So Passport only. How much would you pay for that upgrade?

Same as what I pay for all mobile OS upgrades
    08-17-16 10:30 PM
    Hmm... let's makes this into a like comparison. My 2013 Sentra has an engine that can already support this new rotary engine configuration all it needs is a computer system upgrade. My 2013 Sentra's current engine configuration is being abandon for this new engine and I'm not going to get any more support on it (but all other cars driving around get frequent updates and support that are the same age and even older). The new computer system upgrade was as simple as plugging my car into a computer and downloading an upgrade all of which I can do myself. This "upgrade" is already developed it just needs to be granted permission for my car.

If all of that is true then yes I would expect Nissan to provide a free upgrade. However if you mean bringing the car into a mechanic and getting a complicated custom engine swap and fitting then such a request would be absurd.
    08-17-16 11:22 PM

If all of that is true then yes I would expect Nissan to provide a free upgrade. However if you mean bringing the car into a mechanic and getting a complicated custom engine swap and fitting then such a request would be absurd.
    And spending massive resources reengineering Android for legacy BB10 devices is equally absurd.
    08-17-16 11:39 PM
    I'd love to see another company make a good PKB device, if only it were profitable to do so. BlackBerry could sell off the relevant patents since it's no longer in the business of making PKB devices.
    08-17-16 11:51 PM
    Some times I wonder if all these people here are so absesive about the girl they broke up with 2 years ago the same way they are with BB10. Move on already, there are better things out there.

DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-18-16 12:09 AM
    It's like Johnny Boy said, when they release 10.3.4 they will consider releasing new BB10 devices. Can't wait :P
    08-18-16 01:47 AM
    It's like Johnny Boy said, when they release 10.3.4 they will consider releasing new BB10 devices. Can't wait
    They will consider it and decide not to do it.
    08-18-16 01:51 AM
    I'd love to see another company make a good PKB device, if only it were profitable to do so. BlackBerry could sell off the relevant patents since it's no longer in the business of making PKB devices.
    The Priv is a physical keyboard device. As is the upcoming (and unannounced) "Rome" codenamed device.

No other company is going to do a solid keyboard device the way BlackBerry does and has said it will continue to do.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 02:45 AM
    I hope that is true, i'll love new phone with BB10 but only if it's compatible with more than Android 4.3 apps

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 08:03 AM
    And spending massive resources reengineering Android for legacy BB10 devices is equally absurd.
    I wasn't aware BB10 devices had such obscure internals that android would need to be "reengineered" for it to work.
    08-18-16 08:04 AM
    I wasn't aware BB10 devices had such obscure internals that android would need to be "reengineered" for it to work.
    Forget all of the issues about drivers, and getting vanilla Android to load and run, what about the hardening process that works with specific hardware introduced into BlackBerry Android devices? This whole approach would have to be redesigned to work with what BB10 internals will allow.

This would be a massive undertaking.
    08-18-16 08:17 AM
    If I would have been at BlackBerry 's top, putting some money to anyhow develop a BB10 skin over the stock android would have been a better deal for me rather than putting a huge amount in developing a new BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 08:21 AM
364 ... 1112131415